IGNORED

The Brilliance Of Cotterill

AshtonGreat

Not knocking the guy in anyway but just interested to know how you can comment on tactical astuteness when we have the same formation every week.

Is it not a case we play our game and let the opposition try to adapt to us?

It makes a pleasant change to have a manager who sets up his team to play to our strengths rather than chopping and changing formation and players trying to counter the opposition.

Perhaps it is no coincidence that we have the best defence in the division because he plays a virtually unchanged defence every game , a trait of the last manager to achieve any degree of success with us, and also the most successful manager during my lifetime.

I think we start with the same formation.. but he does seem to be one of those few City managers that has a plan B and plan C.

Down to the quality in the squad I suppose.

Exactly right.

We start with the same formation but have certainly gone to a back four for short periods during games this season.

Not common but we've also varied the midfield set up too, plus when JET starts we don't replicate the conventional big man quick man front two pairing of Wilbraham/Agard but have a fairly central target man in Matt Smith plus a player who is on occasion in midfield or sometimes playing behind Freeman.

So hardly a conventional 3-5-2 all the time...

No doubt Cotterill is doing a grand job here at City. He obviously has an eye for the type of player that help City get out of League 1 and he's had the resources to sign several of them. Thank Steve Lansdown for providing those resources.

Should City get back into the Championship then the greater test of Cotterills managerial acumen will follow. Clubs with established Championship squads and greater resources than League 1 clubs both make the Championship a much more difficult league.

Does Cotterill know what type of player he'll need to be competitive in that division?

Cotterill's brought in, or nurtured, bright young players with potential to significantly improve further, with the Championship very much in mind.

Ayling, Flint, Bryan, Korey Smith, Freeman, and Jet are all young and improving players who will undoubtedly hold their own in the Championship.

Fielding, Williams, Little and Agard less certain but will have a good chance too.

Wagstaff and Cunningham would continue to be adequate squad players.

So if we go up we'll have the basis of a good Championship team already and it won't be a case of wholesale changes, only a handful of additions will be necessary. We should have every confidence by his signings so far that Cotts. and KB would pinpoint further suitable signings to make us competitive.

If we fail, such is the talent now assembled we'll no doubt come under severe pressure to sell several - the likes of Bryan, Ayling, Flint, Korey Smith and Freeman, in particular, will undoubtedly have caught the envious eyes of higher placed clubs.

Getting promoted is the difficult bit, once there I've no doubt that under Cotterill  our young and and competitive team, on a roll after promotion and bursting with confidence, will hold their own - with a few pertinent additions - with no problem at all.

Ayling, Flint, Bryan, Korey Smith, Freeman, and Jet are all young and improving players who will undoubtedly hold their own in the Championship.

Fielding, Williams, Little and Agard less certain but will have a good chance too.

Wagstaff and Cunningham would continue to be adequate squad players.

So if we go up we'll have the basis of a good Championship team already and it won't be a case of wholesale changes, only a handful of additions will be necessary. We should have every confidence by his signings so far that Cotts. and KB would pinpoint further suitable signings to make us competitive.

If we fail, such is the talent now assembled we'll no doubt come under severe pressure to sell several - the likes of Bryan, Ayling, Flint, Korey Smith and Freeman, in particular, will undoubtedly have caught the envious eyes of higher placed clubs.

Getting promoted is the difficult bit, once there I've no doubt that under Cotterill  our young and and competitive team, on a roll after promotion and bursting with confidence, will hold their own - with a few pertinent additions - with no problem at all.

I get the wider picture but am just a little concerned that should City get promoted that SC will stay loyal to the squad that got City up. We've seen that before...........and we all know what happened in the end.

I get the wider picture but am just a little concerned that should City get promoted that SC will stay loyal to the squad that got City up. We've seen that before...........and we all know what happened in the end.

Unlike GJ's team, these young players will undoubtedly get better, both individually and as a team. 

Loyalty, especially to the exciting younger players who form the nucleus of the team, would be absolutely warranted in this case.

He's a terrible manager though. Quote from everyone on OTIB a year ago.

Certainly not everyone, not me for a start.

As I mentioned in another thread Dave, according to some he still is. A recent thread on Brighton's forum discussed rumours that SC might be a contender for their then-vacant manager's job. The consensus on there was a resounding 'No thanks!' This despite the fact that we were top of the league, unbeaten for weeks

In the immediate aftermath of Pearce's sacking a Forest caller to R5 mentioned SC as a manager who hadn't been given enough time there.

Sounded like he'd have him back tomorrow, so much for all Forest fans apparently not rating Cotterill.

Archived