IGNORED

Don't Smoke In Bristol

grove park city

If they ban all transport from Bristol there will be no road deaths,

If they ban all cycles then no-one will fall off them,

If they ban all drinking at pubs and clubs it will save the health/police service millions,

Another family friendly H & S completely bonkers sanitisation decision; B.S don't get any ideas, what the duck is happening to life as we knew it :facepalm:

Saw a representative from the anti-smoking brigade on the local news and she was saying that smoking in public spaces could encourage kids to pick up the habit which no-one would wish and that was the main reason behind the notices getting displayed.

Perfectly reasonable idea imo.

If they ban all transport from Bristol there will be no road deaths,

If they ban all cycles then no-one will fall off them,

If they ban all drinking at pubs and clubs it will save the health/police service millions,

Another family friendly H & S completely bonkers sanitisation decision; B.S don't get any ideas, what the duck is happening to life as we knew it :facepalm:

Well Woodstock that is my point i don't smoke if anyone wants to fine its their lungs ect but this constant intrusion into peoples lives i thought we had freedom of choice ..Think of the children well tough its a hard dirty world out there go to France or Spain and see how you get on they don't give a flying duck about smoking laws and drive like Lewis Hamilton in any road conditions. 

I can't actually see how they are going to enforce this, unless there are going to be council "put that fag out!" wardens in the square. It's a by-law not a criminal offence, so the police aren't going to want to know.

I don't think it is going to be law, is it?

Just a request not to smoke around the Millenium Square and somewhere else?

I don't think it is going to be law, is it?

Just a request not to smoke around the Millenium Square and somewhere else?

Correct, just a request from an organisation called Smokefree Southwest. No law, no bylaw - just a request.

Nothing to do with the Greens or any eco lobby - they're a group promoting health and encouraging people to give up smoking.

The other place, BTW, is Anchor Square.

Correct, just a request from an organisation called Smokefree Southwest. No law, no bylaw - just a request.

Nothing to do with the Greens or any eco lobby - they're a group promoting health and encouraging people to give up smoking.

The other place, BTW, is Anchor Square.

So absolutely no sanction at all, just a polite request from a group that does not even own the square.

Nothing to make a fuss about, in other words.

No, no formal sanction at all. Mind you, I expect some who are very much against smoking will use this to try to bring some sort of emotional blackmail to bear on smokers. I'm a non smoker myself and firmly of the belief that as long as smokers use a bit of common sense and consideration then there shouldn't be a problem and they shouldn't be bullied by a majority.

No, no formal sanction at all. Mind you, I expect some who are very much against smoking will use this to try to bring some sort of emotional blackmail to bear on smokers. I'm a non smoker myself and firmly of the belief that as long as smokers use a bit of common sense and consideration then there shouldn't be a problem and they shouldn't be bullied by a majority.

Unfortunately, that's an increasingly rare attitude these days.I crossed swords with a poster here who simply couldn't understand why I would stand up for someone's right to do something I didn't want to do myself.

Saw a representative from the anti-smoking brigade on the local news and she was saying that smoking in public spaces could encourage kids to pick up the habit which no-one would wish and that was the main reason behind the notices getting displayed.

Perfectly reasonable idea imo.

Maybe, although I don't see how smoking outside can make the habit more potentially appealing than its always been.

Personally, as non smoker, I think it's ridiculous that anyone would think that some random stranger smoking outdoors will inspire a kid to take up smoking.

Maybe, although I don't see how smoking outside can make the habit more potentially appealing than its always been.

Personally, as non smoker, I think it's ridiculous that anyone would think that some random stranger smoking outdoors will inspire a kid to take up smoking.

Stop corrupting the debate with your filthy male logic :nono:

Archived