IGNORED

Football Has Gone Mad

Antman

There was a really interesting programme on a couple of weeks ago called "The Super Rich and us." Well worth a watch.

It seems to me that the PL is another example of how Thatcherism has destroyed our society. 

nothing to do with Thatcherism, its just called b******y GREED, will always be with us no matter who's in power, ask Tony Blur

It's not even greed. If they are offered it, then why not take it..?

It's the clubs fault for paying it. It's FIFA/FA's fault for allowing them to pay it & most of all it's SKY's fault for turning our game into a cash cow.

Biggest problem is, I bet the majority of you complaining about it happily pay your obscene amounts to SKY each month to subsidise these absurd salaries..!

I cancelled mine years ago and don't miss it one bit. I'm perfectly happy keeping upto date with MOTD & FLS.

Don't throw bread out on your garden and then complain that it's full of seagulls!

• Admin

It's the clubs fault for paying it. It's FIFA/FA's fault for allowing them to pay it & most of all it's SKY's fault for turning our game into a cash cow.

Biggest problem is, I bet the majority of you complaining about it happily pay your obscene amounts to SKY each month to subsidise these absurd salaries..!

I cancelled mine years ago and don't miss it one bit. I'm perfectly happy keeping upto date with MOTD & FLS.

Don't throw bread out on your garden and then complain that it's full of seagulls!

Very true !

The stat from the weekend 115 million watched the superbowl worldwide

650 million watched Chelsea - Man City

Shows where the real value is !

Is that you Mr Cantona ?

Very true !

The stat from the weekend 115 million watched the superbowl worldwide

650 million watched Chelsea - Man City

Shows where the real value is !

That's why they are desperate to protect it. They won't address the problem with too many foreign players, smaller clubs going bust etc. That's why they wanted a B league or whatever it was called, to sustain the cash cow that is the top clubs. 

Football hasn't gone mad.

Football has gone very much into the entertainment world and entertainers get paid shed loads of money.

I believe that it was Jimmy Hill who got the wages cap removed and made it possible for 'good' footballers to earn a living. This then brought up the standard of the game, it's no longer for the good players to be maimed by less skilled players and the cycle goes on. Middle classes have therefore started watching the game, more money has started coming in, agents have started saying to the players 'look I can get you a better money', advertisers have come in and it's become a big money game.

Football has become a 'victim' of it's own success which has developed into a hierarchy - the stars, the wannabes, and the traditionalist weekend knockabout merchants. The fans are just spectators  :P

Nah, not gone mad, it's just grown up.

Football hasn't gone mad.

Football has gone very much into the entertainment world and entertainers get paid shed loads of money.

I believe that it was Jimmy Hill who got the wages cap removed and made it possible for 'good' footballers to earn a living. This then brought up the standard of the game, it's no longer for the good players to be maimed by less skilled players and the cycle goes on. Middle classes have therefore started watching the game, more money has started coming in, agents have started saying to the players 'look I can get you a better money', advertisers have come in and it's become a big money game.

Football has become a 'victim' of it's own success which has developed into a hierarchy - the stars, the wannabes, and the traditionalist weekend knockabout merchants. The fans are just spectators  :P

Nah, not gone mad, it's just grown up.

finker. you may just have hit the nail on the head

But the fact is hardly any clubs are making profit, let alone massive profits.

Big IF, that. Most clubs are making enormous losses :(

Correct....but the only comparison I have seen is Rooney and I aint seen Man ure down the food bank recently...

Clubs who "announce" losses have them paid off....just like we do...

But the fact is hardly any clubs are making profit, let alone massive profits.

I read recently that something like 18 of the premier league clubs are in the worlds/Europes richest clubs.

Staying in the Prem makes most clubs very well off. The rewards for the players go hand in hand with that.

Hence why relegation must be avoided at all cost for all but the newly promoted clubs, who seem to have learnt not to overspend straight away and spend a few years as yo-yo clubs until they can afford to establish themselves.

Very much agree with this:  in my opinion the root of the problem lies, in a large part, with the paying and viewing public.

Big IF, that. Most clubs are making enormous losses :(

This is where football is the strange beast and probably one of the reasons why FFP came into being.

There are clubs that are trying to make it to the big time and are trying to get there at all cost. As a consequence of poor management, some clubs are being dragged to the wall and it's the fans that have to watch with a sense of helplessness and anger. It is the stupidity of the 'at all costs' attitude that is ruining football and is the fuel behind player wages. When this is addressed, I suspect that player wages will start to drop.

The madness in football?

That will be down to poor management and unrealistic expectation. Player wages are just a symptom.

I read recently that something like 18 of the premier league clubs are in the worlds/Europes richest clubs.

Staying in the Prem makes most clubs very well off. The rewards for the players go hand in hand with that.

Hence why relegation must be avoided at all cost for all but the newly promoted clubs, who seem to have learnt not to overspend straight away and spend a few years as yo-yo clubs until they can afford to establish themselves.

I believe that's due to owners, sponsors etc, however they still make massive losses because of wages.

And the BBC wonder why people don't pay their licence fee when they come out with sh1te like this. We know footballers are overpaid, you don't have to ram it down our throats with moronic articles like this. Boils my piss.

I totally disagree with this.

I actually found the article very interesting, and clearly so did others to post it on this forum with a debate ensuing. 

If the club is making massive profits then why shouldn't the players be paid relative salaries ?

...I am sure it's what you all expect from your jobs?

I agree. The obvious example is David Beckham when he went to LA. I remember reading at the time that LA Galaxy recouped enough money from extra ticket sales, sponsorships and shirt sales to cover his first contract whilst he was still finishing the season with Real Madrid.

Also:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2276177/David-Beckham-shirt-sales-1billion.html

The problem is that other players think they should also be earning that sort of money when frankly they don't come close to being worth that either on or off the field.

Archived