IGNORED

Anyone Not Going To Franchise Fc

Dollymarie

There have been many examples of teams being moved or merged throughout history, most of them are far enough in the distant past that people don't know or care about them anymore. This will happen to MK eventually.

Arsenal being the most famous.

Moving from Woolich is South London to North London.

Struggled with the moral dilemma this fixture has created.

The whole creation of Mk smacks of a team that was targeted and taken advantage of when they were at their most vulnerable. We will never know what would have happened to Wimbledon as their former selves.

However....

It would be a different decision if this game wasn't such a big game in our season. Today is more about Bristol City FC than who the opposition is.

A win today would be colossal! The more fans we have there will inspire our team.

Let's show them how a real football team travel, let's be boisterous, let's make the home team feel intimidated at their own ground.

Pack out the stands, bring your red and white! COYR

Hundreds of jobs created, sure. Maybe they would have been at Wimbledon if they'd been restructured. The economic term is deadweight, what would have happened regardless had they not moved. And 'espunged' (expunged?) their history - what are they called?

Yes but they weren't.. I am dealing with what happened.. nobody wanted or could develop them in or near to Wimbledon.. everyone wanted that to happen even those that took them elsewhere.. people need to comprehend that perhaps first. Then you can say they did the wrong thing, obviously you can and I doubt many would disagree with that either. Fact remains nobody wanted or could develop the club locally, all things considered and when one considers the cost versus the benefit; you cannot begrudge people wanting to at least get their money back from an investment especially given the parlous state of the club. 

I think you miss the point about espunging history.. MK handed it back to Wimbledon.. rightly so.

There was no deal in town. What we are talking about is whether one club can take another's league place.. for me that is the main issue not the move. The powers that be voted in a majority to allow it to happen as the best of the worst scenarios. When that was allowed there was a business case for somebody to save the club from extinction. You don't like it, I don't particularly like it, nobody really likes it but that is the fact and at least there were jobs created in excess of those lost.

Anyway, Wimbledon are back now and hopefully they will keep their house in order this time and survive but do note that they still do not have their own ground; Probably something to do with Merton Council, still, and that they have to ground share in Kingston.

Yes but they weren't.. I am dealing with what happened.. nobody wanted or could develop them in or near to Wimbledon.. everyone wanted that to happen even those that took them elsewhere.. people need to comprehend that perhaps first. Then you can say they did the wrong thing, obviously you can and I doubt many would disagree with that either. Fact remains nobody wanted or could develop the club locally, all things considered and when one considers the cost versus the benefit; you cannot begrudge people wanting to at least get their money back from an investment especially given the parlous state of the club.

I think you miss the point about espunging history.. MK handed it back to Wimbledon.. rightly so.

There was no deal in town. What we are talking about is whether one club can take another's league place.. for me that is the main issue not the move. The powers that be voted in a majority to allow it to happen as the best of the worst scenarios. When that was allowed there was a business case for somebody to save the club from extinction. You don't like it, I don't particularly like it, nobody really likes it but that is the fact and at least there were jobs created in excess of those lost.

Anyway, Wimbledon are back now and hopefully they will keep their house in order this time and survive but do note that they still do not have their own ground; Probably something to do with Merton Council, still, and that they have to ground share in Kingston.

They are close to redeveloping the old plough lane site, I believe last week was the deadline for objections to the planning application.

The thing I don't understand is that Winkleman wanted to bring football to Milton Keynes and it wasn't about the league position, why didn't he just buy out Milton Keynes City?

Why didn't the masses of football fans in Milton Keynes go and watch Milton Keynes City if it was nothing to do with the league position?

Why didn't the council help Milton Keynes City and build them a stadium?

IMO they saw an opportunity and took it, if the FA had some balls and told yes you can move but will have to start at the bottom of the pyramid I doubt it would have happened.

Will never get a penny off me.

The thing I don't understand is that Winkleman wanted to bring football to Milton Keynes and it wasn't about the league position, why didn't he just buy out Milton Keynes City?

Why didn't the masses of football fans in Milton Keynes go and watch Milton Keynes City if it was nothing to do with the league position?

IMO they saw an opportunity and took it, if the FA had some balls and told yes you can move but will have to start at the bottom of the pyramid I doubt it would have happened.

Respect entirely those whose moral compass will not allow them to go to this one.

Its a well trod argument. Suffice is to say, if the old Wimbledon was going under, that is what should have been allowed to happen in my view. There will always be people who seek to do deals. The real culprits in this in my mind, are quite simply the FA, who allowed it. It was in their power to kill it stone dead. The real legacy of the stink it created is in my view a repeat is now almost inconceivable.

Having said that, wild horses would not keep me away from supporting our boys today.

Which MK City? The last of them went bust before the move. One of them in the 80s was ironically destroyed by the dealings of Wimbledon FC chairman Ron Noades after realising that a merger between MK City and Wimbledon FC was a non-starter.

I don't think we're going to agree on this and you do make some valid points. However i would dispute the argument about the owners tring to make it work in London - to me it was more about having more chance about being successful elsewhere (Dublin was also mooted). AFC proves it could have worked out ( btw think they've put in for planning permission to develop Plough Lane, but could be wrong) I'm with you on the taking another club's place too. Ultimately though if we were shafted and moved 60 miles away against the views of the hard core support, how would we react and hope others did?

Finally i also agree that in 50 years nobody will care. Regardless hope we spank them today.

Archived