IGNORED

The Remaining League Fixtures...

Fordy62

The analysys is all fine and dandy, but there is one thing I think we can all agree on, current position, games in hand, it's ours to lose from here. People talk about Preston or Sheff Utd going on runs, but I think only Swindle or MK can really catch us unless we go on the sort of run that was completely the opposite of the first half of the season.

The analysys is all fine and dandy, but there is one thing I think we can all agree on, current position, games in hand, it's ours to lose from here. People talk about Preston or Sheff Utd going on runs, but I think only Swindle or MK can really catch us unless we go on the sort of run that was completely the opposite of the first half of the season.

Agree.

Current Top 7 -

Bristol City - P:28 - GD:30 - Pt:61
Swindon - P:29 - GD:26 - Pt:57
MK Dons - P:29 - GD:33 - Pt:56
Preston - P:29 - GD:16 - Pt:53
Oldham  - P:29 - GD:1 - Pt:43
Sheff Utd - P:27 - GD:5 - Pt:42
Chesterfield - P:29 - GD:4 - Pt:42

Considering goal difference and games in hand, that's essentially a 20 point gap on dropping out of the play offs; some feat.

I don't think even the most negative among us can see this team collapsing so badly (nor out competitors being consistent enough) to give that sort of lead away across 18 games.

And for all their strengthening, and talk of goof form, it's telling that even if Sheffield U win both their back-up games, they only move up one place, and would be nearly ten points off the top two.  And they'd still not even be within 12 points of us.

Doesn't stop the game against them being a tough one, nor them eventually challenging for a top two spot come May, but they will have to stop losing every second game, and score more, as their goal difference is like -1 point right now compared to those around them.

And even with Garner back and what looks like a pretty decent schedule all told, Preston will be playing catch up, thanks to their FA cup run, and their next two away games are against Oldham and MK Dons; both tough ones.  Our own are against Colchester and Doncaster, and although all ties are tough ties in this league; I know which set of games I'd prefer as momentum builds towards the end of the season.

At the end of the day; games like yesterday are so, so essential to us - the scrappy but comfortable wins against mid-table/bottom half opposition, and really represent the (success) story of the season.

Yes; not all the matches against fellow promotion hopefully have gone great (good but fortunate home win/away draw to MK; narrow home loss to Preston; 10-man away loss to Swindon), but it is our ability to get-up-and-go and grab solid wins in games against teams 'in transition' (like Port Vale) or fighting for their lives (Crawley) and even play-off contenders (twice Notts County) that has given us this the platform we enjoy just now.  

Frankly, it isn't something I'm used to as a City fan (particularly thinking of Wilson's days of majestic wins against the top sides and awful losses to eventually-relegated teams) but I'm loving every minute of it.  Was just as excited about last night than the MK game or the Sheffield United match because I know the team are going out to do the work.

COYR

Archived