IGNORED

Are We Bristol Or Are We City?

Cider_boy

Put simply...in the Football League we are known by most others as 'Bristol'

In the amateur leagues below the top 92 football clubs in the country, another team is known as 'Bristol'.

Thats the status quo.

status_zps3wgs7hup.jpg

Sorry Peter, these are The Status Quo :laughcont: :laughcont:

8 hours ago ghedray said:

We need to remind the national media we are the famous Bristol Rovers and the other team across the other side are called Bristol City

I have noticed since the rugby came across to the gate they have been referred to as Bristol !!( it happened again on tv on Sunday

in the Westham interview referring to injuries against Bristol)

Just because we have drifted into the conference dosnt mean we can loose our identity (points west please note and that other so called local channel our games are just as important as Swindon etc and perhaps come and visit us a few times ! )

This is a real bug bear of mine but it's not a recent thing at all. Both us and 82 are often called just Bristol by both the national media and fans of other clubs. Even the FA got us mixed up in the cup draw once! It's totally and utterly disrespectful.

If I ever here anyone call us or 82 Bristol then whoever says it gets put right pretty quickly and sharply but to make myself feel better I have decided to show the Manchester teams the same respect as we are shown by calling them both just Manchester as if I don't really know or care that there is a difference between them.

ghedray

Media 7 hours ago

Post by ghedray on 7 hours ago

Funny enough it was Westham playing Manchester !

irishrover

Global Moderator

Media 7 hours ago dagnogo likes this.

Post by irishrover on 7 hours ago

Reality of being where we are. No one is going to do us any favours-we have to earn back a reputation that we have largely pissed down the drain in the last few years. Can't complain if to the national media we appear to be a minor club and at what point does Points West/Radio Bristol cease to have an obligation to treat us like a major local one? We should think ourselves lucky there's relatively little competition; good luck getting any kind of exposure in Manchester or London if you are a Conference team. It's actually one of the few areas in which we are relatively blessed not hard done by.

Read more: http://gasheads.org/thread/2289/media#ixzz3RGr4dmRy

Not really sure how I really feel about this issue, but it did annoy me a bit when I saw the results on Sky late on saturday and it said:

Manchester City 1 Hull 1

And i dunno really why it annoyed me! But I just wanted to see 'City' after 'Hull' for some reason!

I thought they're called Hull Tigers  ;)

Stoke, Swansea, Coventry, Norwich, Hull, Leicester, Birmingham, Cardiff, Bradford and York all have the 'City' epithet but on the BBC website League tables none of them have it added to their name. I believe we are alone with Manchester City in bearing that distinction.

The sooner we appear as just Bristol on there the better!

I see it as these guys don't need it to distinguish themselves from a rival team with the name of the same City in their club name too. However, team's like the Manchester teams, Sheffield teams and us Bristol teams need it to keep our identity from our inter-city rivals. Like somebody mentioned before, the FA have gotten us confused before and it is quite disrespectful. It doesn't wind me up too much, but it still bothers me when the nation refers to us as just 'Bristol'. 

Officially we should have our full name used, as should others.

By other fans when there is only one Bristol team in their league? No issue whatsoever. I will happily say we are playing Sheffield on Saturday, because it saves typing out Utd all the time - and its blooming obvious who I mean!

Archived