IGNORED

Are We Bristol Or Are We City?

Cider_boy

Interviewed on Sky Sports before the Wham Manure game big Sam referred to us as 'Bristol'. Not the only time I've heard this in the last few weeks.

Is this just laziness, lack of knowledge/respect for us or just further evidence that we are truly seen as the only team in Bristol now?

I find it rather annoying when people call us 'Bristol', but the thought that it must be even more annoying for the sags makes I smile ;)

I know we are the only league club in Bristol but still we should be referred to as Bristol City.

But then I guess people outside the area wont even know who the other club are given their very lowly stature ;)

I think Bradford City have the same problem, constantly referred to as 'Bradford' even by folks in here. Like Bristol, Bradford once had two league clubs and like NLBR who remembers Bradford Park Avenue? I wonder if Bradford City's forum refers to them as NLBPA?

I think Bradford City have the same problem, constantly referred to as 'Bradford' even by folks in here. Like Bristol, Bradford once had two league clubs and like NLBR who remembers Bradford Park Avenue? I wonder if Bradford City's forum refers to them as NLBPA?

That's actually quite a good point, I guess outsiders just forget about the non league club.

Karl Robinson after the match

"Yes Swindon have got two points more than us from today but remember they've gotta play Bristol away still so that's not easy"

I've never been as worked up as some about being referred to by the City name.

We've called Derby County - Derby.

We've called Swansea City - Swansea etc

Quite simply we are Bristol's only league team so it'd be daft for us not to be referred to as Bristol.  Adding "City" on the end is unnecessary- who else would they be talking about?

Personally I think the time has come to drop the unnecessary and cumbersome word "City" from the end of our name and official call ourselves "Bristol FC". 

There are three really good reasons for this:

1) Annoying Rovers fans.

2) There'd be commercial advantages as it would mean Bristol Sport could easily market us and the rugby club together.

3) The explosion of anger on here would be incredibly entertaining.

Landsdown - if you;re reading this, you know what to do...

:whistle:

Stoke, Swansea, Coventry, Norwich, Hull, Leicester, Birmingham, Cardiff, Bradford and York all have the 'City' epithet but on the BBC website League tables none of them have it added to their name. I believe we are alone with Manchester City in bearing that distinction.

The sooner we appear as just Bristol on there the better!

On a train to our match at Donny a few years ago we were chaittng to some friendly Manchester City fans who has spotted our BCFC shirts, but they were going to the horseracing as their team wasn't playing that day. As we said our cheerios:-

Them: "Bye. We're hoping for some winnings today"

Us: "Bye. And we're hoping for a City win"

Them: "But they're not playing"

Us: "Yes we are"

Them: "Uh?"

Us: "Bristol City"

Them: "Bristol.....!

Us: "City"

Them: "Uh?"

Us: "Bristol City"

Them: "Oh."

It's all subjective - it depends on who / what you think the football team ...... City is.

Put simply...in the Football League we are known by most others as 'Bristol'

In the amateur leagues below the top 92 football clubs in the country, another team is known as 'Bristol'.

Thats the status quo.

I must correct you Peter. The other team is known in non-league circles as "those T***s".

Archived