IGNORED

The New Tv Package

22A

The only way this is "good" is if the increased revenues mean reduced ticket prices for match-going fans.

It won't though.

The public relations team have announced some of the money is earmarked for lowering ticket prices.

Like you, I doubt it will though.

Interesting perspective. There is an argument that it is odd for a real fan of football to not watch highlights and live games of any league, PL or not. 

"I only watch BCFC play" seems odd to me. 

I watch FL games, they are more relevant - I'm not one of those 'City or nothing' people, just prefer watching non PL. And I can get a little addicted to Bundesliga highlights given the chance too

I should say that I listen to PL football, I prefer that to watching. Being a busy Dad I find that fits better with everything else going on. I'm 100% more likely to listen to Stoke vs West Brom than go to a mates / pub to watch it

I enjoy watching BT Sport at the mo as it is cheap, but what with increased Premier League coverage and the Champions League from next season I doubt that will be the case for much longer. I actually enjoy watching Serie A but unless BT put this on a separate, cheaper channel, I can see me having to forego this as I don't fancy paying through the nose essentially to fund foreign players playing on English grass in the Premier League when I am quite content to watch foreign players playing on Italian grass for next to nothing.

I hope these increases in pricing leads to the premier league breaking away an pissing off elsewhere leaving the real football with real fans to enjoy the game for what it is from the championship and below.

Would love to see that, City fighting to be Champions of the Championship as the ultimate goal every season, with no promotion.

Can't stand the PL, and would hate to see City in the modern day top division.

I watch FL games, they are more relevant - I'm not one of those 'City or nothing' people, just prefer watching non PL. And I can get a little addicted to Bundesliga highlights given the chance too

I should say that I listen to PL football, I prefer that to watching. Being a busy Dad I find that fits better with everything else going on. I'm 100% more likely to listen to Stoke vs West Brom than go to a mates / pub to watch it

Fair. 

Sky have been showing Eredivisie this season which is class, just not had a chance to watch any yet. 

give it 2 decades and there will simply be a European Super League, I'm guessing the Premier League will feed into that with a Bottom English club in the Super League being replaced by the Top English Club in the Prem.

Man.U, Chavski, Arsenal, Man.C, Real Madrid, Athletico, Barca, Valencia, Roma, Juve, Inter, AC, PSG, Lyon, PSV, Ajax, BVB, Munich, Wolfsburg + selected others

give it 2 decades and there will simply be a European Super League, I'm guessing the Premier League will feed into that with a Bottom English club in the Super League being replaced by the Top English Club in the Prem.

Bristol Rovers, Man.U, Chavski, Arsenal, Man.C, Real Madrid, Athletico, Barca, Valencia, Roma, Juve, Inter, AC, PSG, Lyon, PSV, Ajax, BVB, Munich, Wolfsburg + selected others

Fixed for you.

Interesting perspective. There is an argument that it is odd for a real fan of football to not watch highlights and live games of any league, PL or not.

"I only watch BCFC play" seems odd to me.

I actually watch very little football outside of City games. I don't have Sky, I do have BT Sports since it was included in my TV package with Virgin, but I don't think I've actually watched any of it yet. I don't bother with match of the day, and the only part of the football league show I watch is usually the city bit. Despite this, my passion in following city hasn't waned, just my interest in the rest of football. I can't even remember the last England game I watched outside of the world cup finals.

Would love to see that, City fighting to be Champions of the Championship as the ultimate goal every season, with no promotion.

Have to agree with that. Eventually the PL would end up like the Harlem Globetrotters v The Generals, as a highly-skilled comedy show.

Then we may as well just down tools then because that is what we are aiming for.

Although I agree with a lot of the sentiments above and that the amount of money being banded around is totally ridiculous, if we were an established Premier League team today would we be complaining so much?

I for one am jealous that clubs that I would call potentially smaller than us due to potential catchment like Stoke, Hull and Burnley are getting such sums and were not.

Take this to a theoretical, if not plausible, extreme:  we are 2nd in the Championship, needing a point at home to the Gas in our final game to secure a place in the top flight, it's 0-0 going into the final minute:  you would prefer the Gas to get a late, late winner, to deny us promotion?

Fanciful, for sure.  But, by not wanting the team to progress you are essentially saying you would want us to lose or draw games rather than win them.  As odious as people might find the money washing about the Premier League, I would rather the club get a slice of it, on our terms, secure our own financial status and then get relegated again.

Take this to a theoretical, if not plausible, extreme:  we are 2nd in the Championship, needing a point at home to the Gas in our final game to secure a place in the top flight, it's 0-0 going into the final minute:  you would prefer the Gas to get a late, late winner, to deny us promotion?

Fanciful, for sure.  But, by not wanting the team to progress you are essentially saying you would want us to lose or draw games rather than win them.  As odious as people might find the money washing about the Premier League, I would rather the club get a slice of it, on our terms, secure our own financial status and then get relegated again.

Not at all OTIK, there would be no promotion in my scenario, so in yours we'd beat the gas to be declared Champions of the Football League.

After the PL breaks away there would be no connection between the Football League and the then entirely sparate PL as far as clubs going up and down.

No way back for the greedy boys and their obscenely paid diving prima donna players, and we could get on with watching proper football with no threat of excessive success ruining our club and our match day experience.

There's the conundrum, we all want continuing success for BCFC but many of us have no interest in - in fact despise the thought of - it's inevitable ultimate reward.

I would say a next step would also be for the sometimes mooted Premier 2 to be set up, scooping up the yo-yo clubs currently in the lower leagues but which would guarantee them a PL franchise in all areas of the country together with the excitement of promotion between PL1 & 2 - then pull up the drawbridge.

On SSN, Richard Scudamore is announcing which TV company has bought which package.

One of these packages is for a live game that will kick off at 5.30pm on a Sunday.

Not much fun for away fans trying to get home from that one if they're dependent upon public transport,

Some of this TV money will filter down to the League clubs for such things as ground improvements.

Since when have sky took any notice of the real fans?

Although I agree with a lot of the sentiments above and that the amount of money being banded around is totally ridiculous, if we were an established Premier League team today would we be complaining so much?

I for one am jealous that clubs that I would call potentially smaller than us due to potential catchment like Stoke, Hull and Burnley are getting such sums and were not.

A lot of PL fans ( the ones who bother to go and watch) 'are' complaining.

They know ( as we all do) that ticket prices will still go up.

Not at all OTIK, there would be no promotion in my scenario, so in yours we'd beat the gas to be declared Champions of the Football League.

After the PL breaks away there would be no connection between the Football League and the then entirely sparate PL as far as clubs going up and down.

No way back for the greedy boys and their obscenely paid diving prima donna players, and we could get on with watching proper football with no threat of excessive success ruining our club and our match day experience.

There's the conundrum, we all want continuing success for BCFC but many of us have no interest in - in fact despise the thought of - it's inevitable ultimate reward.

100% agree.

Archived