IGNORED

Atmosphere Tonight

Andy082005

shit when did we drop from 8th to 10th?

Don't know why we're not selling out, maybe the people who were asked to move don't like their new seats and don't want to come, I don't know.. We've sold most of our home games this season so it's not all bad.

Let's not get too stressed on this one - Yes it was a poor attendance tonight. However we took over 5k to MK on saturday. Luckily I am a season ticket holder but others are looking at the 3 home fixtures we have and obviously alot will choose Shef Utd match.

We have a hardcore of 10,000 fans at present that will go week in and week out  - that will rise to around 14,000 if we get to the championship - and then probably rise to around 20,000 if we ever reached the promised land. Big games will sell out, lesser games will not - simples

I thought it was a decent atmosphere tbg, but the level of expectation many fans seem to have now does annoy me. If we aren't winning after 10 minutes there's moans and groans at every miscontact or idea that does come off as planned.

Disappointed with the attendance though but I guess Tuesday night games aren't ideal for some.

The atmos is a worry. Us Bristolians (I hope I speak for the majority) look at Port Vale as a very unattractive game and this drip feeds into the mood of supporters before we even arrive at the ground. It is wrong really as we are sitting pretty at the  top of the league and tonight's match proved to be a very important one, going 4 & 5 points clear of 2nd and 3rd place respectively,

Nothing has really changed in my lifetime - I remember the atmosphere's as a young boy (glory days) and even in the top flight if we were not playing one of the big boys, you will have quieter days...

Part and parcel of football I guess - we are all human. I sang all afternoon on saturday at MK Dons - but tonight, I hardly said a word, not strictly true of course - the ground doesnt help either as mentioned,

Bizarrely, some of the best atmosphere's can be created at night matches - not tonight though !

very flat on her tonight after a win and our two main rivals getting beat.

if we beat sheff utd on Saturday will be more upbeat!

perhaps were doing to well, a couple of defeats would soon get the dander up and get the natives chomping at the bit!

very flat on her tonight after a win and our two main rivals getting beat.

if we beat sheff utd on Saturday will be more upbeat!

perhaps were doing to well, a couple of defeats would soon get the dander up and get the natives chomping at the bit!

Mad - I totally agree - we should be dancing and happy. That's us Bristolians - never happy !

I think quite a few kids can't come on a school night. My daughter had some homework she'd 'forgotten' to finish so couldn't come. Went in with a mate in Dolman on his other s/t as his kids couldn't come either. Surprising amount of spaces in other stands.

Thought nearly all tickets available were sold. If I bought in advance but didn't use tickets assume they aren't counted.

Wouldn't be surpsrised if there were more at last season's match against Vale (5-0 midweek win when we were mid table)

I think quite a few kids can't come on a school night. My daughter had some homework she'd 'forgotten' to finish so couldn't come. Went in with a mate in Dolman on his other s/t as his kids couldn't come either. Surprising amount of spaces in other stands.

Thought nearly all tickets available were sold. If I bought in advance but didn't use tickets assume they aren't counted.

Wouldn't be surpsrised if there were more at last season's match against Vale (5-0 midweek win when we were mid table)

Yep, attendance 10,940

I thought the atmosphere was really bad tonight. Disappointing after Cotterill wanted everyone to get behind the team. I thought the Dolman and Atyeo were worse than they usually are.

I find it really strange being top of the league, they should be hearing us in Timbuktu.

The atmosphere was poor compared to what exactly? Galatasaray on Istanbul derby day?

It was the same as it's been for most league games for years....

Yep, agreed. It was quiet tonight, but a cold February night with crap opposition and hardly any away fans was never likely to generate much atmosphere. It'll be different on Saturday against the Blades!

6th Biggest in England, 8th Biggest in UK in terms of population

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol

Football is poorly supported in Bristol - but 2nd, 3rd, 4th tier and non league football (pmsl) doesnt help that!

When my dad started taking me down in the late 70's - I felt like we were a big club but now aged 44, the reality and my honesty has got the better of me. We are NOT a big club. We are a club with massive potential to pull in bigger crowds but that's all we have to hold onto in 2015. It does get under my skin why we fail to attract the crowds like Sheffied (united or weds).  

I just hope that Bristol and the South West footy fans will buy into "lansdowns dream" and we see more at the gate week after week.

Time will tell. At this moment in time, we should all take a reality check and realise that we are a "massively under supported football club" in comparison to the size of our city. I no longer say we are a big club - we are not.......

Or are we?

39,000 fans at Wembley next month ! 

When my dad started taking me down in the late 70's - I felt like we were a big club but now aged 44, the reality and my honesty has got the better of me. We are NOT a big club. We are a club with massive potential to pull in bigger crowds but that's all we have to hold onto in 2015. It does get under my skin why we fail to attract the crowds like Sheffied (united or weds).  

I just hope that Bristol and the South West footy fans will buy into "lansdowns dream" and we see more at the gate week after week.

Time will tell. At this moment in time, we should all take a reality check and realise that we are a "massively under supported football club" in comparison to the size of our city. I no longer say we are a big club - we are not.......

Or are we?

39,000 fans at Wembley next month ! 

Solution to attract bigger crowds for the size of our city is Premiership Football - we are not a city full of mad footy fans like Sheffield etc - but what does annoy me - if we reached the promised land one day, will those fans have as much passion as we do right now (ie: our current fanbase) - probably not, although I would take a full packed Ashton Gate any day of the week!

Atmosphere tonight was like the team's performance. A bit patchy and flat. Perhaps just as Cotterill admitted the players found it a bit difficult to raise themselves again so quickly after Saturday, so did the fans.

But fret not lads and lassies. We have the Blades bringing 1,100 on Saturday so at least that will make the City crowd react.

I'll take four or five dull wins this month anyway!

We need a larger core of younger adults/older teens, going to football matches to have a good time. Something I feel will always be an alluring, unique factor about professional football that will never be replaced. We've just misplaced its value under the negative barrage against football fans. Most teenagers have turned their backs on wanting to spend their precious weekends outside of the house (especially with sad, aggressive, middle aged men). What more of a reason to try reinventing how football should appeal to younger people, looking to have fun (should be). Not just Sky's adaptation of that, encouraging everyone to be prawn sandwich connoisseurs of the game. Which in lies a correlation between people feeling content to silently take in City's dominant performances. It's quite telling that more noise was being directed at Fontaine last season, than the duration of most games this season, albeit the reconstruction.

Seems like a few are disappointed we're winning all the time, the atmosphere tonight isn't as bad as people are making out to be, certainly no different from grounds all up and down the country.

As for the attendance, it will always drop Tuesday night, regardless of results.

A lot of people on here have said we get more coming along for Tuesday night games as those fans who play for local sides on a Saturday can attend and Bristol has loads of local leagues

Ground wise, it's all just happening at the wrong time. To many fans in unusual places etc.

This is almost as tiring as why is nttds banned.

It keeps getting brought up, but the answer is simple.

The ground redevelopment has come at an awful time. Lots of people are sat somewhere different and the ones who did get in the Williams are in a poor place wiyh noise escaping at the open end.

I really hope the new stand is allowed to be the east end in some capacity otherwise it'll be away games only for atmosphere.

We need a larger core of younger adults/older teens, going to football matches to have a good time. Something I feel will always be an alluring, unique factor about professional football that will never be replaced. We've just misplaced its value under the negative barrage against football fans. Most teenagers have turned their backs on wanting to spend their precious weekends outside of the house (especially with sad, aggressive, middle aged men). What more of a reason to try reinventing how football should appeal to younger people, looking to have fun (should be). Not just Sky's adaptation of that, encouraging everyone to be prawn sandwich connoisseurs of the game. Which in lies a correlation between people feeling content to silently take in City's dominant performances. It's quite telling that more noise was being directed at Fontaine last season, than the duration of most games this season, albeit the reconstruction.

Interesting.

I would argu slightly differently in that it is that aggressive, hostile atmosphere with an element of wanten abandon, thwt does make teenage/young males go. It also gives them that deep tribal loyalty.

They may want 'fun' but I rather suspect that includes more than you would offer.

If fun includes the city 'wave' I'm afraid it won't have the same effect.

Complete crap about being near the away fans,

Aren't Stoke the loudest fans in the country with most of the noise coming from behind the goal at the opposite side of the ground?

Some want to be next to the away fans because it gives them an excuse to act like nobs without having to face a slap

Complete crap about being near the away fans,

Aren't Stoke the loudest fans in the country with most of the noise coming from behind the goal at the opposite side of the ground?

Some want to be next to the away fans because it gives them an excuse to act like nobs without having to face a slap

"Aren't Stoke the loudest fans in the country with most of the noise coming from behind the goal at the opposite side of the ground?"

No.

"Some want to be next to the away fans because it gives them an excuse to act like nobs without having to face a slap".

Or they enjoy it more being near the away fans because it generally generates a bit more atmosphere, like the ones to the right of the away support at the Britannnia.

Archived