IGNORED

Goalhanging/goalhanger

Slack Bladder

When I was playing football in the school yard back in the early eighties, you would always have the Korey Smith type players who would chase the ball all around the playground and then you would get the goalhanger who would chat to the other teams goalie until the ball came his way.

Is goalhanging or goalhanger a Bristolian phrase or is it universally recognised throughout the football world?

I was mortified to find out last year that snow doesn't pitch anywhere else in the country, only in Bristol.

20 years ago, last time I played in a competitive match, I brought the art of goalhanging / mooching to a new level.

We won a corner, I ambled up to the oppo's goalie and asked "Are you the goal keeper"? "Yeh" he replied inquisitively.

I then made a loud sound as though throwing up. It was so realistic he jumped back into the goal and looked down his chest thinking I really had thrown up on him. Just then the ball came over and one of our forwards easily headed it in. The Ref allowed it as I had not committed a foul, but cautioned me for "Ungentlemanly conduct"!

Goal hanger was well in use where I grew up in Yorkshire. Another common phrase was 'rush goalies'. Mentioned this to my Bristol-born mate on Tuesday when Frankie seemed to have 5 minutes of being an outfield player. He'd never heard of it so assume they're called something else here...

When I was playing football in the school yard back in the early eighties, you would always have the Korey Smith type players who would chase the ball all around the playground and then you would get the goalhanger who would chat to the other teams goalie until the ball came his way.

Is goalhanging or goalhanger a Bristolian phrase or is it universally recognised throughout the football world?

I was mortified to find out last year that snow doesn't pitch anywhere else in the country, only in Bristol.

Every areal has its own word for snow pitching. Its one of the last dialect expressions in general use.

Stick, pitch, lay, lie, settle, and half a dozen others.

Archived