IGNORED

Filming Racist Fans

And Its Smith

If it was one of your group of mates you attend footy with reguarly who shouted out a racist obsenity, you're telling me you'd film him and turn him in to a steward?

No, I wouldn't point him out to a steward, but I would tell him to stop being a ***** and would offer no assistance to him if someone else pointed him out and he was ejected.  You can't necessarily do that with someone you don't know as that could escalate quickly into something even more ugly.

And after I'd told my mate to stop being such a ***** I would then question myself as to why I was mates with such a ***** in the first place.

If it was one of your group of mates you attend footy with reguarly who shouted out a racist obsenity, you're telling me you'd film him and turn him in to a steward?

I personally don't have mates who'd do that, so is a moot point for me.

But if I discovered a person I hung out with was capable of stuff like that, they'd not be my mate anymore, so would have no problem telling a steward - wouldn't need to film them as I'd know who they are.

I was tempted to film racist City fans at Coventry but figured it would just escalate things and wasn't worth the bother.

So that is Coventry and MK where someone has mentioned racism is it common with our away following?

No, I wouldn't point him out to a steward, but I would tell him to stop being a ***** and would offer no assistance to him if someone else pointed him out and he was ejected.  You can't necessarily do that with someone you don't know as that could escalate quickly into something even more ugly.

And after I'd told my mate to stop being such a ***** I would then question myself as to why I was mates with such a ***** in the first place.

This is a good answer. Well done pal.

My mates wouldn't!

All due respect mate, doesn't answer my question. Question was IF one of your mates made a racist remark during the game, would you film it and turn them in?

So that is Coventry and MK where someone has mentioned racism is it common with our away following?

To be honest, I've never heard it. And I was at MK.

In the 70s and 80s it was common to hear racism on the terraces, but that reflected how society was back then. I've only heard one gobshite call out something dodgy in the last 20 years at Ashton Gate, and then almost the entire crowd (including his mates) turned on the guy and told him to STFU. And this is in the sedentary Dolman D block!

Notwithstanding incidents like the Chelsea one recently, I think football in general has been a very positive force in driving out the sort of casual racism that was common in the 70s. When you have black heroes on the pitch, it's a bit harder to demonise an entire race.

I also think the sort of ostracism the bloke I mentioned in the anecdote above suffered is probably as effective as anything. Shows the individual how isolated he is in holding those views and how unacceptable his fellow fans find them.

What did he do? I can't remember the exact match but it was during the Wilson era and he shouted the word that rhymes with moon after an opposing black player made a crunching tackle on one of our guys.

Interesting to see how much things have changed in a short space of time.

I can remember the majority of Dolman block B about 10-15 years ago singing "he's got a malteaser on his head" to Iffy Onura.... Back then this was seen as nothing unusual but now I think it would be very much unwelcome. Similarly with Jason Lee and the "pineapple on his head" song. Also not more than 10 years ago singing the p**i/Taff song at Ninnian..

I can remember the majority of Dolman block B about 10-15 years ago singing "he's got a malteaser on his head" to Iffy Onura.... Back then this was seen as nothing unusual but now I think it would be very much unwelcome. Similarly with Jason Lee and the "pineapple on his head" song. Also not more than 10 years ago singing the p**i/Taff song at Ninnian..

I heard somebody say the malteaser shout in the Williams E Block a few weeks back! It was a Tuesday night game I think. Could have been Gillingham?

The Jason Lee song wasn't racist....that was ALL to do with that stupid haircut he had which looked like a pineapple.  You put that haircut on any white guy and the song is still totally relevant.

The other songs are completely taboo, however.

Why just Racism?

Why not film obscene gestures and violent or abusive behaviour towards opposing fans as well ?

Point being....where do you stop?

I don't think that's a valid point.  You stop when people are not behaving in an anti-social way that breaks the law.  There's no slippery slope here - we all know racist chanting is unacceptable, gives the club an appalling name and that anyone who does it would (and should) get kicked out of the ground, banned and potentially prosecuted.  The same might be true of violent behaviour towards opposing fans as well and perhaps you could film that and identify the perpetrators. 

But that doesn't mean you'd then be filming people mocking opposing fans or whatever else. I think we all know the difference between the often very funny heckling, chanting and tribalism that's part and parcel of the game and someone being a racist or violent idiot.

The Jason Lee song wasn't racist....that was ALL to do with that stupid haircut he had which looked like a pineapple. You put that haircut on any white guy and the song is still totally relevant.

The other songs are completely taboo, however.

A white Rotherham Titans players was subject to the pineapple chant in last seasons rugby play offs. Defo not racist.

Why just Racism?

Why not film obscene gestures and violent or abusive behaviour towards opposing fans as well ?

Point being....where do you stop?

What point...? If you think banning racist/homophobic language and the like is analogous to banning any "naughty" words then it just shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the situation.

Archived