IGNORED

Holiday Snobs

SARJ

I work outside for 12 months of the year so a sun holiday is something that suits me.

A week in Morocco during the winter. A country with great cities and an awesome coastline on the Atlantic for great surfing.

Only 3 hours on the plane also which is about my limit. I find travelling a ball ache, hanging around in airports e.c.t

I love a week in Spain during the summer months. Easy to get there and again some great cities. Valencia and Barcelona close to your tourist resorts. My favourite being Seville, more inland but a great place.

I went to Barbados the in 2013 and didnt experience anything like you mentioned! We stayed on the South of the Island, most hotels will have private beaches so we didnt once get hassled by anyone trying to sell us anything. All the locals we met were very friendly, yes we had the odd vendor especially in Bridgetown but it didnt put me off, compared to the other Caribbean islands it has the lowest crime rate and is generally thought to be the safest island to travel around in especially at night. We know people who have been to Jamacia/St Lucia who were advised not to leave their hotels at night.

Highly recommend the Oistins fish fry on the Friday evening. We hired a car and travelled over the island, stopping at Bridgetown, Speightstown, tour of the Mount Gay rum factory and a fewother stops. Give me a shout if you want any other tips!

Just my personal expierience, not saying it's gospel for the whole of the island. We stayed in St Lawrence gap, a very touristy part, and we encountered these issues. A colleague also said the same, but I appreciate that's not what everyone expieriences.

I have heard bad stories about Jamaica/St Lucia. Put me off going.

Where were you when I was asking for honeymoon suggestions last year, eh?!

Booked up for 6 nights in Barbados later this year, with the rest of the 'moon in nearby Grenada. If there's anything you did like about Barbados (or places to avoid!) then please let me know!!

I understand what you mean about holiday slobs. Personally I love traveling about and experiencing new cultures and places to visit. It's inspiring and broadens the mind.

Usually my "holidays" involve a backpack but for our honeymoon we thought we were due a well earned rest and a little bit of luxury hence the Caribbean. That said we're still going self-catering. Don't like the idea of "all-incs" and want to get out and eat and drink locally, not be banged up in a hotel complex for a fortnight.

Grenada is stunning, great beaches and one of the best islands for snorkelling or scuba diving.

Rain forest inland as well as rum factories and spice farms to visit.

Oh, and Jason Roberts is a Grenadan international but don't let that put you off.

The worst are the cruise set believe me.

I wouldn't class your take on diverse holidays as snobbish at all. Like you I like to travel to different countries to experience the culture, food and people.

And I also wonder why some folk return to the same place year after year whether it be in the UK or abroad. I guess they just lack imagination and the desire to see different places.

Mrs Robbo and I have been on 4 different cruises around the Med and the Red Sea. We visited Cairo, Petra, Jerusalem, Pompeii, Carcasonne, Salvadour Dali birth and burial place in North East Spain, Barcelona, Ephesus, Istanbul. We enjoyed Turkey so much that we went back for a different holiday type to Bitez.

Now we are in Western Oz which will probably be our only overseas trip this year.

Jackpot

The worst are the cruise set believe me.

I aint got a pot to p in but when the wifes mum and dad died we thought it would be good to do something with the money apart from p it up against the wall; booked a 14day cruise around Cannaries from Southampton on the old QE2 will never forget it and it was great to see how a holiday could be. As much food and drink as you want 1st class service and almost a different port/adventure everyday.

Booked a shorter one around Channel Isles soon after and that didn't disappoint either.

Have since done the med on Costa Fortuna; Rome, Egypt, Cyprus, Athens etc great holiday.

If I won the lottery tomorrow I`d book around the world trip on the first ship from Southampton.

Cruise set......... nah done Brean/Weston/Torquay etc in tent/caravan; Cornwall is magic as well;

Also been on a around the world trip by plane, Vegas,Fiji,Aus,Hong Kong, Singers................cruising is not just for "the set" its for anyone who is different enough to want to try it. :cool:

I would definitely recommend Malta.  Valletta is beautiful.  Small enough to walk around, get completely lost, stop for a beer in great little bars that are cheap, friendly and don't seem to have changed in years (the Labour Party Club has a great bar upstairs with a balcony over the street, old men playing draughts, old women watching soaps and the beer is cheap as chips).  Food's the same, top notch  at great prices.  Loads of rabbit, which I hadn't eaten before but couldn't get enough of.  Tasty tack!  And Maltese bread is the best I've ever had. Really light and delicious.  You can eat the full basket on the table and still have plenty of room for the bunny.

Don't know when you're going, but if it's Easter, get a bus to Mdina on Easter Sunday morning for the parade to the cathedral and take your camera.  There are loads of brass bands all suited and booted (look a bit like colliery bands) then in the afternoon they're all dancing in the streets and blowing their horns.  Mdina itself is an ancient old walled city on top of a hill with views of the whole island.  It's worth it for the bus ride alone.  They're ancient yellow beasts owned by the drivers who personalise the dashboard; every one is different, could be a religious shrine, an altar to Elvis or covered in tacky ceramic tortoises.  The driver once pulled over and topped up the engine oil.  Fantastic.

I could go on and on... Don't listen to the snobs.  Have a great time.  

I wouldn't class your take on diverse holidays as snobbish at all. Like you I like to travel to different countries to experience the culture, food and people.

And I also wonder why some folk return to the same place year after year whether it be in the UK or abroad. I guess they just lack imagination and the desire to see different places.

Mrs Robbo and I have been on 4 different cruises around the Med and the Red Sea. We visited Cairo, Petra, Jerusalem, Pompeii, Carcasonne, Salvadour Dali birth and burial place in North East Spain, Barcelona, Ephesus, Istanbul. We enjoyed Turkey so much that we went back for a different holiday type to Bitez.

Now we are in Western Oz which will probably be our only overseas trip this year.

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz who cares?

(soz, couldn't resist :) )

I would definitely recommend Malta.  Valletta is beautiful.  Small enough to walk around, get completely lost, stop for a beer in great little bars that are cheap, friendly and don't seem to have changed in years (the Labour Party Club has a great bar upstairs with a balcony over the street, old men playing draughts, old women watching soaps and the beer is cheap as chips).  Food's the same, top notch  at great prices.  Loads of rabbit, which I hadn't eaten before but couldn't get enough of.  Tasty tack!  And Maltese bread is the best I've ever had. Really light and delicious.  You can eat the full basket on the table and still have plenty of room for the bunny.

Don't know when you're going, but if it's Easter, get a bus to Mdina on Easter Sunday morning for the parade to the cathedral and take your camera.  There are loads of brass bands all suited and booted (look a bit like colliery bands) then in the afternoon they're all dancing in the streets and blowing their horns.  Mdina itself is an ancient old walled city on top of a hill with views of the whole island.  It's worth it for the bus ride alone.  They're ancient yellow beasts owned by the drivers who personalise the dashboard; every one is different, could be a religious shrine, an altar to Elvis or covered in tacky ceramic tortoises.  The driver once pulled over and topped up the engine oil.  Fantastic.

I could go on and on... Don't listen to the snobs.  Have a great time.  

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I was in Malta in 2012 and the yellow buses have gone!

Gozo is definitely worth a visit, stayed in Xlendi (pronounced Shlendi) for a week. Cisk is the local brew, often just served in cans! Found a bar in Spinola Bay and you got a fresh mussel with every drink!

My only complaints were: 1) Getting bitten to shit by sand flies in Gozo 2) It's a very densely populated island, we stayed in Sliema and it's busy 3) Unfortunately a lot of the people are very insular and put simply, racist.

As for it being "for old people". Nonsense - the nightlife in Paceville is banging, I can testify!

I aint got a pot to p in but when the wifes mum and dad died we thought it would be good to do something with the money apart from p it up against the wall; booked a 14day cruise around Cannaries from Southampton on the old QE2 will never forget it and it was great to see how a holiday could be. As much food and drink as you want 1st class service and almost a different port/adventure everyday.

Booked a shorter one around Channel Isles soon after and that didn't disappoint either.

Have since done the med on Costa Fortuna; Rome, Egypt, Cyprus, Athens etc great holiday.

If I won the lottery tomorrow I`d book around the world trip on the first ship from Southampton.

Cruise set......... nah done Brean/Weston/Torquay etc in tent/caravan; Cornwall is magic as well;

Also been on a around the world trip by plane, Vegas,Fiji,Aus,Hong Kong, Singers................cruising is not just for "the set" its for anyone who is different enough to want to try it. :cool:

The thread is about the people who bang on about it endlessly. We have friends who if they don't mention cruise after every sentence, then I think **** me has he/she had a stroke.

Examples to my wife "you've had your hair done, oh I must get my hair done before the cruise in 9 months time".

to my wife "I like your handbag, oh I must get myself a new one before the cruise in 9 months time".

to me me "I see you've just had a piss, I must have one of those before the cruise in 9 months time".

So because its a poor country you didn't have a good time? You sound like the holiday snob! :)

Actually had a better time due to everything being dirt cheap!

Point I'm making is everyone, especially the snobs, seems to think the Caribbean is this amazing faraway paradise place, where in reality, it's quite a poor place indeed. Certainly suprised me.

Try the sanctimonious ***** who go to Africa and then try and lecture everyone that they are right about Africas woes and all of us (of any colour dont know shit)..have had some memorable laughs with the local guides about "knowlegeable Europeans in Africa"

Other than those not come across too many holiday snobs. Personally would rather pull my own teeth than go to Benidorm or Blackpool at any point in season.....oops Im a snob.. :whistle:

When it comes to holidays im a snob

Not about where i go

More the fact I dont like being around your typical "Brit aboard"

The type who moan they cant get fish and chips and live in the local Irish bar

I'm a bit like that as well when I go to certain places in Asia... if I hear a British or American voice, ill usually do my best to avoid them. Nothing against them, I just don't like my surrounding cultural pureness being invaded. :D

I'm a bit like that as well when I go to certain places in Asia... if I hear a British or American voice, ill usually do my best to avoid them. Nothing against them, I just don't like my surrounding cultural pureness being invaded. :D

You won't hear many western accents in Pyongyang will you?

I actually sometimes like to talk to Brits in those parts of the world. I've got awesome tips on places to go whilst backpacking in SE Asia and had some great nights out with said people. It is a risk though- some of the biggest ******* I've met in my life I've encountered on holiday in Asia, but it's sometimes worth taking a chance

Snobbery or the reverse in this case is inappropriate. The reality is that there will be little difference in the experiences you have on a resort holiday, be it Spain or the Caribbean. That's unless you have tailored your holiday to specific interests, giving less reason to judge other peoples decisions. This doesn't mean it is sacrilege to compare and criticize holiday destinations with your colleagues or friends. Just obviously without the pretense. 

The only real conflict I have is how to distinguish yourself while abroad. Tourism is a important industry, which shouldn't be undercut by telling anyone trying to sell something to **** off. Or if you're backpacking and only ever spending money in the hostel or supermarket. You can't remove yourself ideologically from something that is in place as an industry. You can dislike aspects of tourism and adjust your behaviour and attitude while in another country. I find it hard to judge if trying to blend in with an environment is a relief for locals or a source of more disdain. I tend to assume the latter, feeling my English nature usually sticks out while on a bay populated by locals.

Archived