IGNORED

Promoted At Home Versus Swindon

OldlandReddies

I noticed Cotts saying after the Doncaster game "It's an 11 game season now."

Probably it was a slip of the tongue but he said it twice in the interview on Player. The friendly interviewer did not pick him up on it, but it made me wonder if he's targeting promotion in 11 games. I think that's Preston away but my maths is not great.

He's a meticulous planner and it just seemed odd that he said 11 games and not 14, or 15 with the JPT.

Plus he's made it clear he wants the title and that might take a bit more than 11 games, as has been pointed out here.

Its because Swindon, MK and Preston all have to play each other, so they cannot all get maximum points in those matches. If we otherwise match them over the next 11 games then it is impossible for two of them to overtake us before the end of the season.

It shows that SC (or one of his staff) has a fairly reasonable grasp of the maths :)

Both ways of looking at it are valid.  Yes, of course what other teams do is important, but statistical evidence based on like total number of points needed is also useful in coming to conclusions.  We know that no team with more than 91 points has ever failed to get automatic promotion, so it is not unreasonable to think that 92 will PROBABLY be enough.

You're talking probables, which I can accept. But talking in absolutes, like this statement.....

90 points will do it guys. Forget any other permutation. 23 points required. Keep it simple.

....is just ridiculous.

90 points will do it guys. Forget any other permutation. 23 points required. Keep it simple.

Iv'e predicted...

Preston - 92

MK Dons - 90

Sheff Utd - 83

Swindon - 81

If we finished on that magical 90, we may well miss out on goal difference! It's ridiculous to set point targets, aim to win every single game we play and see where it takes us.

Looking slightly more possible now! We'd need a 13 point gap going into the game and as we currently have 11 to third we only need to gain 2 more points on MK and Swindon in the next 6 matches.

Sod it, we can dream!

Would be awesome to get promoted against the mooooooonrakers, specially if we can **** up their promotion chances. Nice thought. Exceedingly unlikely though

Not that unlikely. 4 wins and 2 draws will mean a win against Swindle will put us on 90 points with just 5 games remaining. We are currently 11 clear of 3rd and there is every chance with upcoming fixtures that we could be at least 15 clear at end of play on 7th April. Just saying like !!!!!! 

Lets for argument sake say we are 7 pts clear. If we won six and drew two, we would then be 27 points ahead.

We would need to be 16 points clear to be promoted. That would mean two of MK, Preston and Swindon failing to get 11 points from eight.

As I was dismissive of this, the maths:

To be promoted at the Swindon match we need to be 16 points clear of third place at final whistle (assuming we all have 5 games left at that stage).

Its almost a given if we beat Swindon that we would be over them. We would then need to take 5 more points out of MK over the next 7 games.

If we maintain our form, its moved to the 'possible' certainly!

As I was dismissive of this, the maths:

To be promoted at the Swindon match we need to be 16 points clear of third place at final whistle (assuming we all have 5 games left at that stage).

Its almost a given if we beat Swindon that we would be over them. We would then need to take 5 more points out of MK over the next 7 games.

If we maintain our form, its moved to the 'possible' certainly!

Yessssssssssss ! That'll do for me. Hopefully this thread will resurface again in 3/4 games time and the word 'possible' will be replaced by 'almost'. Here's hoping !

highly doubt it will happen, we will lose again for sure, Bradford and Gillingham look tough, Crawley away will be hard, Yeovil will raise their game vs us.

We don't have Gillingham again, do we? I'm fed up with them, although suspect they are more fed up of us this season

We don't have Gillingham again, do we? I'm fed up with them, although suspect they are more fed up of us this season

Beware the Ides of March, minus one day!

The Gillingham team that will visit us on 14th March are a totally different proposition to the dummies we took candy from before.

As amazing as it would be, although unlikely at this stage, if Swindon continue their awful form and teams below them go on a bit of a run, then conceiveably it could be the game that we knock them out of the play off places.....just saying

This is looking more and more likely.

If we win our next 4 games  (Gills, Crewe, Barnsley & Oldham) then beat Swindon we will be up (well they can only match us on points).

If they drop any more points then we can be up before this. 

Only Barnsley may be a banana skin in my opinion, but Swindon have MK Dons and Doncaster who will be tough, and Colchester who are fighting to stay up.

Very exciting times!

This is looking more and more likely.

If we win our next 4 games  (Gills, Crewe, Barnsley & Oldham) then beat Swindon we will be up (well they can only match us on points).

If they drop any more points then we can be up before this. 

Only Barnsley may be a banana skin in my opinion, but Swindon have MK Dons and Doncaster who will be tough, and Colchester who are fighting to stay up.

Very exciting times!

I thin Gills are a different prospect to previous games.  Winning 7 on the spin would be fantastic but I can see a draw potentially two en route. However that would still put us on 87 and I think 90's is pretty certain to get you at least 2nd place.

We've just won 3 on the bounce away against sides "battling for their lives", we also won at Doncaster recently who have since moved into the play off spots.

On our day we are the best team in this Division, no reason why we can't win the next 4 and do it against Swindon. Other teams are going to drop points, we may not need to win all 4 but I see no reason why we won't.

We've just won 3 on the bounce away against sides "battling for their lives", we also won at Doncaster recently who have since moved into the play off spots.

On our day we are the best team in this Division, no reason why we can't win the next 4 and do it against Swindon. Other teams are going to drop points, we may not need to win all 4 but I see no reason why we won't.

Fixed, no need for those first 3 words.

All three upcoming home games will be tough against in form sides, Gills and Barnsley while Crewe fighting to stay up will not be a pushover.

There aren't any gimme games in this league.

Oh, Mr Cidered, with our budget / resources, every game is an easy game. Ask any other manager in the league who have crumbled to the champions elect

If we do, the problem might be we've clinched promotion before the Swindon game!

Didn't we win promotion under Ward just before Good Friday (Grimsby lost?) ?

One point against Crawley!?

Cotterill out!

Here is a reminder of what I predicted.. which is 2 pts less than where we are currently. Considering MK and others have slipped up in relation to us we could very well clinch promotion at Boundary Park now... no bother I am back for that one ;)

BRISTOL CITY

H to Rochdale = 3 pts = 70pts

A to L Orient = 3 = 73

A to Crawley = 1 = 74

A to Yeovil = 3 = 77

H to Gills = 1 = 78

H to Crewe = 3 = 81

H to Barnsley = 1 = 82

A to Oldham = 3 = 85

H to Swindle = 3 = 88

Personally I think 88 will be sufficient for auto promotion but we may not know it on the day

If we go to Preston and beat them I think that will be the day we will be promoted. If we don't win it then it will be the next game. I can see us losing only once more by the end of the season and it will be against Walsall.. not in the JPT but last match of the season to get revenge for us beating them at Wembley when we are already champions and have taken our foot off the gas. 

We are two points ahead of my prediction above so we start on 90 points before below..

A to Preston = 0 = 90

A to Bradford = 3 = 93

H to Coventry = 1 = 94

A to Chesterfield = 3 = 97

A to Walsall = 3 = 100

Thought we might slip up at Walsall following our victory over them at Wembley but have changed my mind as we try and get the lone defeat of Preston out of our system and get over the line to 100 points. I think Coventry may be well on their way to a resurgence under Mowbray by the time we play them. I had Bradford down as a draw but so incensed will Cotts be over the Preston debacle, when he will be spitting complaints, the players will be all guns blazing at Valley Parade.

Archived