IGNORED

Current Side Vs That Side

ZiderEyed

Looking at our current side, we can all see that it is immensely talented. But is it as talented as the GJ sides of the past, specifically the promotion side. Would be interested to know if anyone has the stats on how each player individually matches up. Thoughts?

Looking at our current side, we can all see that it is immensely talented. But is it as talented as the GJ sides of the past, specifically the promotion side. Would be interested to know if anyone has the stats on how each player individually matches up. Thoughts?

Johnson's side was functional, this one is a class above. No question.

How does the current side compare with the 2007/08 Championship play-off season side?

Thoughts people?

I reckon the nucleus of our side now is beyond any measure in terms of ability, it will step up no problem.

The 07/8 side it was argued at the time and I'm arguing now, over-achieved. Fair play to Gary Johnson for that.

This side is set on a more stable rock and oozes the superior quality.

You have to remember this is a young group of lads on the whole.

Just to babble on, Freeman alone is one of the most gifted footballers I've ever seen in a City shirt.

To go through them: Flint is a Shaun Taylor as a babby, Korey Smith is a player in the new age that is uncomparable to the old school, Joe Bryan - trained to home his skills for the modern game and doing it with accomplishment - I've ran out of stamina.

Ivan Sproule the 100m sprinter, Lee Johnson the Father's son, Jamie McCalister. Not knocking it, GJ did a job very well but this lot-more faith in I have.

No offense to GJ's side.They were a big hearted bunch.but the team we have now is so young,committed and talented.I would love to see this team developing together for the next few years.I think we have a really special bunch of players wearing our shirt.

No offense to GJ's side.They were a big hearted bunch.but the team we have now is so young,committed and talented.I would love to see this team developing together for the next few years.I think we have a really special bunch of players wearing our shirt.

The main fear would be to lose Ayling, Flint, Freeman, Little etc to higher clubs, but despite the fears of the war-scarred/superstious supporters, I reckon we'll be a top ten Championship club within a year anyway.

A lot of our lads were knocked down from the Premiershit.

Hopefully, Bristol City under the parental guidance of Steve Cotterill will be known as a safe haven for promising young footballers to make the grade for years to come.

You have to remember this is a young group of lads on the whole.

Just to babble on, Freeman alone is one of the most gifted footballers I've ever seen in a City shirt.

To go through them: Flint is a Shaun Taylor as a babby, Korey Smith is a player in the new age that is uncomparable to the old school, Joe Bryan - trained to home his skills for the modern game and doing it with accomplishment - I've ran out of stamina.

Ivan Sproule the 100m sprinter, Lee Johnson the Father's son, Jamie McCalister. Not knocking it, GJ did a job very well but this lot-more faith in I have.

Did anyone else re-release the end of this in a Yoda voice?!

The main fear would be to lose Ayling, Flint, Freeman, Little etc to higher clubs, but despite the fears of the war-scarred/superstious supporters, I reckon we'll be a top ten Championship club within a year anyway.

A lot of our lads were knocked down from the Premiershit.

Hopefully, Bristol City under the parental guidance of Steve Cotterill will be known as a safe haven for promising young footballers to make the grade for years to come.

SC is a great manager and he has brought a wow squad of players together, who have a great bond between them all. It should also be remembered little more than a year ago the Dreariness was consuming our club.

It was SL against many fans wishes who eventually showed Dreary the door in the nick of time by the way. As SL must carry the can for employing Dreary in the first place he must also do likewise for our current success.

Point being a year is a long time in football and if we repeat the GJ story of promo then play offs straight after, is it that great, considering the disappointment that followed;

Enjoy the moment enjoy the day, one day at a time is all we can do.

I just hope that the growth of the club is bought into by the players and manager too, they can see something special is happening here with the stadium coming along niceley.. I honestly believe that if/when we cross the line this season (hopefully as champions) then with a fee additions to add to a relatively small squad they will push on to the top half and maybe the top 6 next season in the championship, not just on their footballing abilities but on the momentum of going up alone..

Bigger things to come from these lads if we can keep them together.. Including Cotts

Basso is the only player from GJ's team that I would have in this side. If our current team has played in 06/07, we probably be promoted already. Far superior in my eyes.

No thanks. Basso when from the sublime to the downright ridiculous. Fielding a much better all round keeper & a bit more sane!

The one thing about this current squad which is similar to Johnsons is the amount of leaders within the squad.

Do you remember the game in which Johnson put the captains armband in the middle of changing room and offered it to everyone because he felt there wasn't enough leaders in team (I think Bradley Orr took it?!)

Anyway now we had Eliott, Wilbs, Smith and Flint who are all very capable of captaining side and good to have that through spine of team.

Basso is the only player from GJ's team that I would have in this side. If our current team has played in 06/07, we probably be promoted already. Far superior in my eyes.

Bradley Orr may have had a look in, he was pretty good back in the day.

Apart from that the team now is a lot better

I thought the OP was comparing this current squad to the most succesful City one of 1976.

That's what I thought. Said it before, best team since '76. Pretty sure we'll be pushing for play offs this time next year, however I'm concerned that the ease with which we concede posession will be a weakness in the championship. Well done to the board, managership and players. After 53 years of watching the reds, can't recall a league position like todays, albeit in Division Three . Maybe 'big John' is smiling down on us.

Archived