IGNORED

Current Side Vs That Side

ZiderEyed

What manager hasn't?

Just look at Fergie and Beckham.

Or even our very own Cotterill at Portsmouth.

Sorry that's ridiculous.  Ferguson managed him from the age of 18 till 28.  He played his best football under Ferguson.  He got rid of him when the bull***t surrounding him got to the point where he wasn't worth the bother.   

Beckham wasn't anywhere near being the best player in that side.  The way he was managed was exemplary.  He sold him at the point he began to wane and replaced him with Cristiano Ronaldo. Top class management if you ask me.  

Sorry that's ridiculous.  Ferguson managed him from the age of 18 till 28.  He played his best football under Ferguson.  He got rid of him when the bull***t surrounding him got to the point where he wasn't worth the bother.   

Beckham wasn't anywhere near being the best player in that side.  The way he was managed was exemplary.  He sold him at the point he began to wane and replaced him with Cristiano Ronaldo. Top class management if you ask me.  

Fergie did have trouble managing him at times. Beckham left under a very bad light and has only recently made it up with Fergie.

No Beckham wasn't the best player, but he was a top player.

For me it's the complete opposite. To me Johnsons style of play was turgid and pedestrian. Utterly predictable, get one up and then hang on......despite that he got a tremendous amount of good fortune the season City reached the play off final. I well remember one opposition striker missing an open goal from 10 yards and City went on to win 1-0. MIllen said post match on more than one occaision that he was mystified how City managed to scrap the win. During that entire season I never left AG with that 'feel good" factor on any occasion.

It's hugely different under Cotterill.

I think I am the only other forum member who agrees with you about the GJ love-in.

Dont get me wrong he did a great job but all of what you said is totally correct but I wouldnt hate him for it, he did a good job for 2/3 years.

On pure ability and talent, the Wilson-era side that didn't get promoted was better than the one that did go up under GJ. What that GJ side did have though, that Wilson's didn't, was professionalism, work ethic and the right attitude.

The current side has all of the above in abundance, and it's to Cotterill's great credit that he's been able to identify and bring in the type of player to fit in with that, as well as get the best out of the players who were already here when he arrived. They've not achieved anything yet, but they're shaping up to be the best City side that those of us under the age of about 45 will have ever seen.

For me it's the complete opposite. To me Johnsons style of play was turgid and pedestrian. Utterly predictable, get one up and then hang on......despite that he got a tremendous amount of good fortune the season City reached the play off final. I well remember one opposition striker missing an open goal from 10 yards and City went on to win 1-0. MIllen said post match on more than one occaision that he was mystified how City managed to scrap the win. During that entire season I never left AG with that 'feel good" factor on any occasion.

It's hugely different under Cotterill.

I agree the football under Cotts is better and I'm more confident. But if a neutral came to Ashton Gate next Week would they, by the atmosphere, think they're at a table topping side?

I agree the football under Cotts is better and I'm more confident. But if a neutral came to Ashton Gate next Week would they, by the atmosphere, think they're at a table topping side?

Probably not but then AG is currently under redevelopment and that makes a huge difference to the atmosphere.

Probably not but then AG is currently under redevelopment and that makes a huge difference to the atmosphere.

I agree with that comment.

The issue for me is not the first 11 that each side could put out, its the depth of the squad. Just looking at that post above listing the full squad from before makes ours now look tiny. I think we have rode our luck this season a little on that side - Freeman, Flint etc injured would have been hard to cover.

I suppose every team says this, but also worry we miss a natural Championship level forward.

Would be nice to find out however.

The 1998 team is a harder one to compare because it lost its spine at the end of the promotion season and was mismanaged horribly over the summer. It was deprived of Taylor, Goater and Doherty (OK, he wasn't key but he was good) through injuries and transfers and rather than replace them all adequately, they replaced Goater three times over and the other two completely inadequately.

Replaced (if that's the right word) Goater with Sean McCarthy on loan.  :facepalm:

The team was Sinclair, Llewellyn Newman Humphreys Bailey Gavin Shelton Rennie Smith Turner Taylor.

They were better than the promotion sides since. This current side will overtake them if they win that Championship trophy.  Simples.

That was THE team for me also

Got to agree with big red rich! Basso was a talisman and made some brilliant saves ( although a lot of them were ' camera saves ' ) i remember early in the season that we got promoted rooted to his line v blackpool who beat us 4 -2 the goal that went straight through his hands v Bradford the same season! Inspeerational figure no doubt! But as said what glories did he achieve after he left us? How many clubs rushed to sign him? Bit of a Teflon figure tbh. He can do no wrong. Oth if frankie fails to pass a inch perfect ball from his hands to Joe Bryan the otib goal keeping experts go into meltdown!

That 2006-08 squad was a strange one. You look at the players in that side on paper and think how on earth did that team get us 90 minutes from the premier league? We had virtually nothing upfront, we rarely dominated games or played good football and we were prone to some real shocking collapses (0-6 at Ipswich, 1-4 at WBA, 0-3 at QPR) All we really had was a very good defense, momentum and a massive MASSIVE heart. We're Bristol City we always believe was a perrfect anthem for that period and I was never as proud of a team as I was that bunch of players who massively overachieved.

Of course those things could only take us so far and the foundations were made of paper. This year I feel, the squad has much more quality is all areas. There isnt a single player i'd take from that team over this one. The core of the team: Smith, Ayling, Flint, Freeman, Bryan are names that I expect to see on the city teamsheet for many years to come and be the foundation of a side that can be continually succesful, not just for a season or two. We probably wont do as well next year as Johnsons team did but I think we've got much better prospects for the future than we did then.

Archived