IGNORED

Matt Smith Back At Fulham

kiwicolin

Staggering how bad Fulham are.

Smith will be desperate to come back in the summer, Fulham looked like a pub team, I have no idea why the idiot in charge of them didn't recall him (but am grateful he didn't).

Smith scored one and forced the keeper into a great save or he'd have had another, in contrast to one of their other subs (the no. 12) who looked to me like they'd got him out of the crowd, pitiful.

Pitman a good player in a side who's tails are up. Does he roll his sleeves up in a struggling side?

20 goals in 77 for city

Faced with a basic tactic of lumping it up towards the back of his head, Aguero would struggle to score many.

Pitman a good player in a side who's tails are up. Does he roll his sleeves up in a struggling side?

20 goals in 77 for city

Werent anything like 77 starts though were it.

IMO Pitman is a very classy player and I was always happy to see him in the team.

In some ways the antithesis of modern English players who are all athletes and poor footballers (ahem Sterling;Townsend), he is all technique but even as a big fan I'll admit not athletic in any sense.

Both more emphasis on athletic skills and perhaps an adjustment in attitude in his younger days he could have been a hell of a striker.

Did he have a manager that made him "roll his sleeves up" when he was here?

probably not, but I was never in the dressing room. Pitman clearly a good player but I'm not convinced his head was right down here.

Thought he played well under Millen, but became a player who was messed about with, being played in different positions and in and out the team. Like I said I'm not convinced his attitude was right and he seemed to be a sulker.

Our loss though.

Very frustrating but I would say the difference is that the names mentioned above, whilst not as effective out wide, would still make a large impact on games. Contributing to play, assists and goals.

Whereas anyone could see the the likes of Pitman, Stead and Chris Wood were not wide midfielders!!!!

Blimey, did anyone see Symons interview after the game where he was asked about Smith?

He is clearly not a fan and is playing him in a attempt at avoiding relegation. When asked about "bright spot" Smith, amongst begrudging praise he said "he should have had another", which, whether he should have or not, is not the remark you make about a player who was literally head and shoulders above any of his team mates.

The way he did it also made him look a bit of an arse, but I guess a 1-5 hammering could also do that...

Please don't remind me of that Jocks tenure here. Awful manager who has luckily found his place in the pub league up north.

You can't say that!! You cant say a bad word about Del as he was "a really nice bloke" and had "one hand tied behind his back" during his time here. It was also very much a case of "right man wrong time"....apparently....

He was dreadful for us. Tactically clueless. Bad bad times my friend.

You can't say that!! You cant say a bad word about Del as he was "a really nice bloke" and had "one hand tied behind his back" during his time here. It was also very much a case of "right man wrong time"....apparently....

He was dreadful for us. Tactically clueless. Bad bad times my friend.

But he's doing SO well with Aberdeen... in one of the worst quality & weakest top leagues in Europe.

Glad I'm not the only one who looks at his time here & sees the genesis of many of the key factors in our recent decline.

Pitman's scoring record per starting app. in a low chance producing City team, in the Championship, was good. 13 in 21 full appearances one season iirc - more than enough to show his potential and the likely rewards of persevering with him.

Neither Millen nor Del were good managers for him, taking him in and out of the team and often giving him a single appearance to make his mark then dropping him again. He became something of a whipping boy for both managers.

He was also competing with Maynard who, unlike Pitman, was permitted to go on long barren spells but retain his place so little wonder if Pitman's confidence and desire was diminished.

However it was always very clear he was an exceptional natural finisher and he's still showing that, now at the top end of the Championship.

One in the eye for so many on here who insisted he'd play all his football in the lower divisions after leaving City.

There's a real chance he'll be in the PL next season. If so, as such a natural finisher, no doubt at all he'll score his share of goals there too.

Pitman's scoring record per starting app. in a low chance producing City team, in the Championship, was good. 13 in 21 full appearances one season iirc - more than enough to show his potential and the likely rewards of persevering with him.

Neither Millen nor Del were good managers for him, taking him in and out of the team and often giving him a single appearance to make his mark then dropping him again. He became something of a whipping boy for both managers.

He was also competing with Maynard who, unlike Pitman, was permitted to go on long barren spells but retain his place so little wonder if Pitman's confidence and desire was diminished.

However it was always very clear he was an exceptional natural finisher and he's still showing that, now at the top end of the Championship.

One in the eye for so many on here who insisted he'd play all his football in the lower divisions after leaving City.

There's a real chance he'll be in the PL next season. If so, as such a natural finisher, no doubt at all he'll score his share of goals there too.

Give it a rest Noggers - Pitman scores his first goals of the year against an appalling Fulham side and you come on here crowing about what an exceptional talent he is and how you were in some way "right all along" that he would succeed in the C'Ship! As I recall you said he'd be a regular for a C'ship team after he left City and get 20+ goals...he has achieved neither to my knowledge.

EDIT: just checked - FIVE league goals last season and NINE this season. Yes, I'm sure he'll score for fun in the Premier League...!!

But he's doing SO well with Aberdeen... in one of the worst quality & weakest top leagues in Europe.

Glad I'm not the only one who looks at his time here & sees the genesis of many of the key factors in our recent decline.

It's difficult to compare where we are now to where we were then, but we really were in a dreadful mess under McInnes

Give it a rest Noggers - Pitman scores his first goals of the year against an appalling Fulham side and you come on here crowing about what an exceptional talent he is and how you were in some way "right all along" that he would succeed in the C'Ship! As I recall you said he'd be a regular for a C'ship team after he left City and get 20+ goals...he has achieved neither to my knowledge.

EDIT: just checked - FIVE league goals last season and NINE this season. Yes, I'm sure he'll score for fun in the Premier League...!!

Actually, I've made a point of not crowing about Pitman, Kid, even though I was assured by many on here he would never play above L1 after leaving City.

You deny he's succeeding in the Championship? He is succeeding right now for a team at the top of the Championship, I rest my case.

Get used to me commenting on Pitman's success occasionally, especially if he goes on to appear, and score goals, in the top league.

I'm sorry Pitman making his mark in a promotion chasing Championship team is not something you wish to acknowledge, or see highlighted on here, but it's there for all to see.

Those who aggressively insisted Pitman was not up to Championship football, and indeed his career would fizzle out in the lower divisions after leaving City have been proved wrong.

Have they not?

Actually, I've made a point of not crowing about Pitman, Kid, even though I was assured by many on here he would never play above L1 after leaving City.

You deny he's succeeding in the Championship? He is succeeding right now for a team at the top of the Championship, I rest my case.

Get used to me commenting on Pitman's success occasionally, especially if he goes on to appear, and score goals, in the top league.

I'm sorry Pitman making his mark in a promotion chasing Championship team is not something you wish to acknowledge, or see highlighted on here, but it's there for all to see.

Those who aggressively insisted Pitman was not up to Championship football, and indeed his career would fizzle out in the lower divisions after leaving City have been proved wrong.

Have they not?

With respect you said he would leave City and become a C'ship regular and score 20+ goals a season. Are you denying that? I warn you: my memory is good.

He left City for L1 back to his hometown club. If B'mouth hadn't had a significant injection of cash the likelihood is they'd still be in L1 and he'd still be there IMO, he has been fortunate certainly.

If being a squad player at B'mouth and scoring 14 league goals in 2 seasons constitutes "succeeding" then good for him although I'd point out that scoring record would appear to be actually worse than it was at City!

The fact is Pitman ain't a C'ship regular or a 20+ man in the C'ship, and so you have been wrong in your prediction thus far.

I totally agree with you Noggers. Pitman does have his limitations; he's very much a penalty box player and doesn't have the work rate or physicality to play up front on his own, but his record was good considering the number of times he was played out of position in a struggling team, then often criticised for not playing well. He's probably the most natural penalty box player and finisher we've had on recent times but he was completely misused by succesive managers. What I would say is that I don't think he was the right player for City at the time; he needs others to create chances for him and we just didn't have that creativity or dominance, so it was right we moved him on at that time. But it doesn't surprise me that he's scoring goals in a creative, dominant team. He'd be fantastic alongside Wilbs in the current team

im not defending the bloke but we were already in decline when he came here.

With respect you said he would leave City and become a C'ship regular and score 20+ goals a season. Are you denying that? I warn you: my memory is good.

He left City for L1 back to his hometown club. If B'mouth hadn't had a significant injection of cash the likelihood is they'd still be in L1 and he'd still be there IMO, he has been fortunate certainly.

If being a squad player at B'mouth and scoring 14 league goals in 2 seasons constitutes "succeeding" then good for him although I'd point out that scoring record would appear to be actually worse than it was at City!

The fact is Pitman ain't a C'ship regular or a 20+ man in the C'ship, and so you have been wrong in your prediction thus far.

He's made 32 apps. for B'Mouth this season scoring 10 goals, I'd call that being a regular, and 1 in 3 scoring record not bad at all at that level.

You can harp on about exact statistics but I wouldn't have expected to predict everything perfectly. The fact that he's doing well, and scoring goals, at the top of the Championship and may well be a PL player at the end of this season, says everything.

What cannot be denied is Pitman's career has taken an upward trajectory since leaving City, far from being consigned to the lower divisions as so many insisted to me he would be.

The overall  thrust of my posts was that Pitman was indeed a Championship standard natural goalscorer and it was a huge mistake for successive City managers to freeze him out.

That state of affairs said more about their ability than his, and seeing his subsequent success at B'Mouth I feel absolutely vindicated in my support for Pitman while he was at City, and quite justified now to remind those who so vehemently insisted he would go on to achieve nothing at a higher level just how wrong they were.

im not defending the bloke but we were already in decline when he came here.

And he made it worse, because he A) had no idea how to manage the squad he had, & B) was inconsistant in recruitment and failed to correctly manage the good players he did buy.

He's success in Scotland is impressive, but that must always be considered with a lorry full of context.

In terms of toughness of challenge; his time at this club was the biggest of his career, and he failed, so I'll have none of this "we missed out"/"he's a promising young manager" stuff - I'll change my mind when he delivers the goods under similar circumstances or in a markedly tougher situation.

He was not successful here by any meaningful measure, and actively contributed a large part to our decline and relegation; easy to blame the last man in the job, but McInnes shoulders a large slice of that blame too.

Archived