IGNORED

Steve Cotterill Long Term

Nitroxhotshot

I'd like to think that Bristol City can become a football club that would consider keeping a long term manager such as Cotts.

He's proven that he is the man for the job, even though so many fans on Otib before his appointment thought that he wasn't the right man for us.

I would like to see Cotts become a Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger for example...  stick with him through the good times and the bad, for many years to come.

What are your thoughts on this?

whats long term for a football manager? most last 14 months these days as board rooms and fans alike demand instant sucess,

If SC were to lose 3 games on the trot some will start calling for his head regardless,

We would all like SC to be the next SaF with us but the likelyhood of that happening is about 5000/1,

I think us as fans just have to enjoy the ride these days after so much woe we've had since 2008 its about time we had some highs,

Next season will be about re-establishing ourselfs as a championship club (if/when we win promotion) and in the championship we are a minnow,

Long term future with or without SC we need the facilities (which are coming) and we need a level 1 acadmney so teams stop nicking our best players,

on the field we ned to tread water or do a leeds for a few seasons before pushing on,

I think to stick with a manager for that long, you have to consistently perform at your level, or well above it.

Costs hasn't done that yet; but in the same breath he hasn't had to try just yet.

Back to the resources, we should be a Championship team, floating around mid table. So if Cotts wants to stay long term, that's where he should be aiming.

Do I think he can do it? I've no idea. We can only but hope.

So far cotts has done a fantastic job for us,but if he was offered a bigger club than us would he want to stay?.

I think that Cotts has done enough wrong in his managerial career to not be overly fancied by many. I think in that respect we're very lucky.

I think that Cotts has done enough wrong in his managerial career to not be overly fancied by many. I think in that respect we're very lucky.

he hasn't done alot wrong in his management career at all tbh,

he save portsmouth from relegation with all the things that happened their

he made cheltenham a league club

he did a good job at burnley

he was half decent at forest and saved them from relegation

he has a good win %

Back to the resources, we should be a Championship team, floating around mid table. So if Cotts wants to stay long term, that's where he should be aiming.

I wholeheartedly agree with midtable championship should be considered a success but I'm afraid I do not believe that this will pacify enough people to save him from the chop at some point in the future.

Look at what happened under GJ. After the play off final game many of us forgot our expectations at the start of that season which were 'by god I hope we stay up'. Within the space of 12 months our fan base, our owner, possibly our manager and squad had too lofty ambitions and forgot what, for BCFC at that time, should be considered a success. 10th that following year felt a little flat but actually that was a remarkable achievement. The following season we struggled badly. We were flirting with relegation but do you know what, every few years at that level for a club of our size we probably would battle the drop. After sacking GJ who was delivering what you and I would consider a success for SC to do, we have never been able to reach those ambitions.

We made mistakes last time of trying to run before we could walk, and this lead to the club not only paying high wages, but being seen as soft and somewhere where you can get overpaid and under deliver. I hope and expect this to not happen again. Last time, despite paying for a team which should have been challenging the playoffs we actually just stupidly overpaid for a mid-lower table team. So long as we don't repeat that mistake, and as fans understand that we may have some unremarkable few seasons ahead of us which in likelihood will see us at some point flirt with the drop, SC could be here for a long time.

Is he the man for the job? we don't know.

Firstly, we aren't promoted yet - although realistically we are, barring the biggest bottle job in history.

Secondly, he's only getting us out of League 1 at present, and whilst I accept that not many have managed to do that for us in my time watching, I think we all agree we should be aiming for at least mid-table championship.

Ask the question again this time next year and you may have a better idea of the answer.

Surely it would also depend on how "bad" the bad times are. Relegation back to League 1 is very different to Wenger's "bad" spell of 18? consecutive years of European football.

he hasn't done alot wrong in his management career at all tbh,

he save portsmouth from relegation with all the things that happened their

he made cheltenham a league club

he did a good job at burnley

he was half decent at forest and saved them from relegation

he has a good win %

Whilst you are indeed right, that didn't stop us (myself included) jumping to conclusions before and as he joined. In interview I'm sure he could easily justify his performances but I agree with the original poster that by perception he is very much unfancied and with an undeserving reputation. There is also the fallacy of buying our way to promotion/championship which means that outside BS3 his reputation probably is not wildly enhanced by what he does/has done here.

When GJ got us promoted and over the next 12-18m every job that came up was met by threads of several pages along the lines of 'oh god no I hope he stays'. If SC emulated GJ's performance I do not think there would be such hyperbole.

If we are thinking about keeping him long term then that will be be use he is good, if he is good then other clubs will come looking. He says himself he is a winner which many laughed at, but I think winners always need new challenges and goals. If he is allowed to just tread water and have a easy life then he will go stale. Yes he wants to win things but for him I think the real real challenge is building a team to do so, the fight to achieve the win just as much as the win itself.

Didn't we give him a 3 or 4 year contract when he arrived, as that's what he asked for? So either he sees himself settled here for the immediate future or he was making sure of a safety net incase we chose to sack him? Did he think we were in such a mess we would need years to turn it round? Or did he take on a task of building and evolving a club which was a challenge he needed and relished?

I personally don't think he believes his work is anywhere near done here. He seems to push himself, needs to push himself. His work ethic and belief rubs off onto the players and we are reaping the rewards. He has assembled a small squad but assembled it well, he will no doubt continue in the same way as he has shown he tends to stick with what works. I don't for example see him spending millions on a household name.

Football will take it's course, who knows what will happen in the future. Right now we are on a high and lets enjoy that.

nowt so fickle as a fan of footie, enjoy what we have at the moment, Cotts has won me over like a lot on here but football is like selling.....you're only as good as your last sale..........Ashton Alf is alive and well ( those of you who have read the book) :badmood:

So far cotts has done a fantastic job for us,but if he was offered a bigger club than us would he want to stay?.

I think Cotts reckons he's hit the glory days now. He is experienced in management and has been given a chance by an under achieving club with potential despite his last one or two jobs considered a failure. With that he has turned the club around, is respected and liked by the fans and has the club better than they have been for a long time. I think Cotts knows the ambitions of this club and it's chairman and knows if he succeeds and has us competitive next season then he is likely to have his contract extended and as the ground is completed and the club makes money he will have the opportunity to develop a team capable of Premier League football.

I expect Cotts views this as his biggest task in Football but also his most enjoyable role for a long time. I doubt Cotts would jeopardize the above by taking a job at a Championship or Premier League Club who after a poor run would have no qualms in sacking him.

I have a feeling that Lansdown wanted Cotts for some time, possibly before McInnes and Coppel but couldn't tempt him here. He was interviewed before SOD got the job and I reckon Lansdown knew quickly he hired the wrong man and was always going back for him when SOD left. Lansdown now has him man he wanted and I think Cotts knows that and I think Cotts will be here for some time. 

The only thing we know for sure is that SL isn't trigger happy and if SC struggles in a higher division - he will be given every chance to turn it around and longer than most on here would ever give.

Sc has also learnt that the grass is not always greener and is unlikely to be seduced by another club for some time yet even if the march carries on. Providing that we aren't in yet another relegation battle any time soon, I expect SC to be with us for at least another 2 seasons but unless you've got crystal balls- you can't see it coming.

Of course, I truely hope that SC can not only seal our well deserved promotion, but build on it in the Championship over the next few years.

The reality of football though is that NO manager is ever more than a 5-10 games without a win run of results away from being under serious pressure or collecting his P45.

Whilst i agree that he is doing a magnificent job my only worry is burn out .

Can he realisitically continue to maintain his own very high standards for more than 3 seasons ?

He would be super human if he does .Still here's hoping .

He doesn't need to IMO. He's already done a fantastic job here, saving us from relegation with ease last season and (here's hoping) winning the league the following season. That's some turnaround!

If he can build the squad next season season and make us competitive in the Championship then that's a job well done. The next few years will be crucial!

SL made a big mistake when he called a press conference to announce that Gary Johnson was signing a 5 year deal and look how that turned out......not that I'm putting Cotterill in the same catagory.

Whether SC gets a long term deal should depend on how City cope should we be in the Championship next season. That said I can't see SL making the same mistake twice.

What puts paid to most managers at the end of the day is good old fashioned 'ego'.

They have a couple of years of success and when the things that made that period so successful start to falter the panic eventually sets in and the expensive 'journeyman' signings arrive en masse, with the inevitable consequences that it usually brings. Then comes the " fans what do they know " period, the " this club was on it's arse when I arrived, they should be grateful " period and inevitably onto the " green shoots of progress, we had a lot possession " (after another defeat) period.

of course some managers like Wilson and Coppell arrive at " fans what do they know " period and straight to " your lucky to have me" period.

As long as results on the pitch match SL's ambitions then he's got nothing to worry about. Clearly it's crucial for us to be a championship club to run a 27k stadium and we need to have a much more incremental approach to "what good looks like" if we get up this season.

But as we all know, football is a fickle industry & no-one lasts long (relatively speaking)

The thing that will get rid of a manager especially at a football league club is expectations.

The year we got to the play off final under GJ the expectations of the fans at the start of the season were if we avoid relegation it would be great as we can build for the future and establish ourselves as a Championship club. The thing that changed after getting to the play off final was indeed the expectations around the club that, hang on a minute, we must actually be a side that is challenging for promotion to the Premier League when in fact it was (on paper) a massive overachievement for that squad to get to where it did.

This unfortunately for Johnson served to be a rod for his own back because we started to get found out and slipped further and further down the table season on season, never replicating that fantastic season, when in fact finishes of mid/lower mid table for the club just about matched what we had on the pitch. 

I think if (when) we get promoted this year, the expectations of everyone around the club will be realistic. Yes there is absolutely every reason at the moment for everyone associated with the club to optimistic about the future because its looking very bright, but whilst we are a big fish in League One, we will be a minnow in the Championship and we need to keep our feet on the floor.

If we are hovering around the bottom of the Championship after 10 games ish the inevitable murmurings of some to 'get rid' of Cotterill will start to surface, that's life and football is a results business after all, but I for one hope we give him the time to build for the future and to become an established Championship club yet again.

COYR

What puts paid to most managers at the end of the day is good old fashioned 'ego'.

They have a couple of years of success and when the things that made that period so successful start to falter the panic eventually sets in and the expensive 'journeyman' signings arrive en masse, with the inevitable consequences that it usually brings. Then comes the " fans what do they know " period, the " this club was on it's arse when I arrived, they should be grateful " period and inevitably onto the " green shoots of progress, we had a lot possession " (after another defeat) period.

of course some managers like Wilson and Coppell arrive at " fans what do they know " period and straight to " your lucky to have me" period.

Good point. I do fear for SC's ego. There's a fine line between the confidence of believing in yourself and believing in your own press. It was the undoing of Gary Johnson.

Have a feeling he will get found out at higher levels but hey, I thought he'd be a terrible appointment in the first place.

I could have written this post, except maybe I would replace 'feeling' with 'fear'.

I can't fault him at all in any way shape or form, since his arrival. In fact I can't for the life of me imagine anyone - fergie/mourinho included - bettering his record here.

It's just that this team seems so good (and yes it was largely his recruitment), that one wonders how much influence he is actually having.

Hopefully it is a lot, and this is just the start for him. He is still a relatively young manager.

We will have a very good idea this time next year...

Archived