IGNORED

Is It Just Me...

Ben4BCFC

Or is anyone else getting a serious case of squeaky bum? (I'm pretty certain it's not the weekend's cider.)

Although there's big ifs and buts, IF Preston win their two games in hand, they're only 5 behind with us still to play them at Deepdale.

We've not really had a big blip this season, no real wobble. I'm just hoping that the buildup of games catching up with us, a small squad, no out and out natural goalscorer (in the vein of Garner e.g.), Wembley and the pressure of Preston baring down on us doesn't make us panic.

Although promotion will always be the most important success from this season, I've kinda got used to the feeling of us winning the league. I'd be gutted if it was taken away now.

Tues and Sat games go the right way could see City almost there. Next 3 games for MK and Swindon are tricky incl a game against each other. By Easter and the Swindon game could be a case mathematically not quite there by 2-3 points with 6-7 games left for top four.

Tuesdays game v Crewe is massive.

It could well get tight. I remember though how MK won convincingly away a few weeks back and fell away soon after. Teams peak and drop off, in my opinion Preston probably (hopefully) peaked yesterday. I think it's unlikely they'll get 5 much more this season. We consistently get results without being too emphatic. Think we'll be ok.

I'm hoping it's just a matter of worst case scenario running over in my head. On the flipside, if we're still ahead when we go to Preston and we win, we're well in control.

Just for some clarity on the situation, reading the PNE forum, they've said that most/all of their fans will be wanting us to beat Swindle when we play them. Guess that shows their opinion on the matter.

Either way, Tuesday is huge.

It's always in the back of my mind. Crewe has annoyingly come quite important.  However on Saturday I was happy with our performance, just missed that bit of luck to probably come away with a very comfortable win. Swindle and Preston have hard games on Tuesday, we however have the easiest game on paper. Need to make it count.

Or is anyone else getting a serious case of squeaky bum? (I'm pretty certain it's not the weekend's cider.)

Although there's big ifs and buts, IF Preston win their two games in hand, they're only 5 behind with us still to play them at Deepdale.

We've not really had a big blip this season, no real wobble. I'm just hoping that the buildup of games catching up with us, a small squad, no out and out natural goalscorer (in the vein of Garner e.g.), Wembley and the pressure of Preston baring down on us doesn't make us panic.

Although promotion will always be the most important success from this season, I've kinda got used to the feeling of us winning the league. I'd be gutted if it was taken away now.

I know where you are but we are going up.

The results we must match are Swindle and MK to make sure we finish in top two. The title, while important, is secondary to promotion.

I never understood the term "squeaky bum". Damp bum or loose sphincter could be appropriate, but squeaky bum?

PS-We'll be fine. Faint heart never won fair maidens or promotion.

I'm thinking it's down to tensing when your nervous and a cheeky little nervous fart squeaking its way out.

what's the bottom line?

Wish you'd stop arsing around!

I'm still confident we'll win the league.

On another day, the ball may have knicked in off of the rickoshade from wilbraham's left cheek, JET may have waved his wond (in a wizard's sense, not the other variety) or we could've won a dodgy penalty. We'd have taken the three points and the question wouldn't have been asked.

We were up against an organised and emerging Gillingham side and we only took a point. That's football an it's the same game Preston are playing. Similar outcomes have and will happen to them.

At any given micro-moment in time, a range of conclusions can be made.

A pragmatic view is more telling, though.

Wish you'd stop arsing around!

I'm still confident we'll win the league.

On another day, the ball may have knicked in off of the rickoshade from wilbraham's left cheek, JET may have waved his wond (in a wizard's sense, not the other variety) or we could've won a dodgy penalty. We'd have taken the three points and the question wouldn't have been asked.

We were up against an organised and emerging Gillingham side and we only took a point. That's football an it's the same game Preston are playing. Similar outcomes have and will happen to them.

At any given micro-moment in time, a range of conclusions can be made.

A pragmatic view is more telling, though.

Who's this rickoshade fella?  :)

Unless you meant ricochet.

I am very comfortable and happy with our current form, those last three away wins mean that we have point in the bank so dropping a couple at home on Saturday was not an issue. If we had got 8 points from the last four games including a home win then everyone would have seen that as a good average. 10 from 4 is well above the 2pt average we need to get this done.

I find that we are making it a lot harder than it should be, drop Agard and play Jet and the title is ours, Agards is the definiteky the weakest link, if/when we go up hw will need replacing. I feel his Selection is just giving preston a fighting chance of nicking this.

We've won 5 and drawn 1 of our last 6 and we're making it hard!!!

Picking Agard has nothing to do with Preston being in with a shout, their own form, which mirrors ours over the last 6 games, is doing that.

I find that we are making it a lot harder than it should be, drop Agard and play Jet and the title is ours, Agards is the definiteky the weakest link, if/when we go up hw will need replacing. I feel his Selection is just giving preston a fighting chance of nicking this.

So winning 3 away games in one week is making it harder than it should be?

Imagine this place if we lose another game! Jesus.

Get a grip.

5 wins and 1 draw in last 6 games.

2 defeats in last 16 games + 12 wins and 2 draws.

11 points clear, so points in the bank, games running out so Preston cannot afford another blip, a blip that they suffered only recently and 7 games to come in 22 days.

You can add to that the fact that we have ten points more than any team in all four divisions. A quite remarkable achievement

If "only" being 5 points clear at the top is considered squeaky bum time then it yet again shows what a fantastic season this is.  And even if Preston were to beat us after that, I'd still much rather be another 2 points ahead of them than wherever the hell Swindon or the Milton Dons are these days..

I spend a good proportion of my day advising sports and business people about getting the most out of their performances, I can see why harping on about 'staying the present', 'one game at a time ' , is so important!  Imagine if players let their thoughts wander like we do, and that is why more often than not a 'choke' occurs, by thinking too far ahead and therefore not applying the good processes which have got you in that good position. 

However, as fans we are allowed to dream ahead ! ( and I'm one of the worst!!)

On a more serious note as part of my role,  I do analyse language used by sports people to see where they are at in their thinking and Football managers and coaches tend to lag behind other sports such as Olympians, golfers and tennis players for example. With regard to Cotts, no doubt his positive attitude (compared to SO'D) has been a breath of fresh air and been a significant factor so far this season, as well as our Technical ability / tactics and fitness.

Just a little word of warning though, the more Cotts uses the word 'win' the closer we get to the end of the season the more of a tendency players will have of coming 'out of the zone' and have  too much 'future' thinking. Therefore not applying those good processes which has been so successful, so far.

Focussing too much on the word 'win' often breeds a fear of failure within a sports person/ team and it often the  cause the dreaded 'choke'. From a psychological stand point words such as 'will' and 'determination' fro example would keep the players more focussed.

Anyway as I say the psychological aspect is only a third of it, we may have enough Technical ability and fitness to say what we want, it'll be interesting!

COYR

Archived