IGNORED

Fls- Barnsley / Lee Johnson

Port Said Red

I watched the highlights package from Saturday night just to see the goals from our division and they had a "focus" piece on Barnsley. I was a bit surprised to hear the Barnsley chairman say that LJ was one of the most highly qualified coaches in the UK if not Europe. I know he is a smart guy, but can anyone confirm this? It's a pretty big achievement if true....

I watched the highlights package from Saturday night just to see the goals from our division and they had a "focus" piece on Barnsley. I was a bit surprised to hear the Barnsley chairman say that LJ was one of the most highly qualified coaches in the UK if not Europe. I know he is a smart guy, but can anyone confirm this? It's a pretty big achievement if true....

You mean he has a CSE ?

When Steve Cotterill retires from football you mean?

There should be no sentiment in business, it has I believe been part of our downfall in the past.

SC shows no sentiment with players...he does what he has to, for the benefit of the Club. He, in return would expect no different. It has been a breath of fresh air this season.

However... when the time comes.... he will be replaced. It's inevitable.

I believe LJ like SC is someone, the Club have kept tabs on, since and during his time with us.

It will happen, hopefully when the time is right imho.

Fair play to Lee he has his head screwed on for sure, when many of his team mates were wasting their money he was investing in property and now it seems also himself.

But as far as qualifications go they aren't everything, you got to have that 'something' too. Wasn't Millen one of the most highly qualified people ever, more qualified than many Premiership managers or the England coach I thought? Fair enough he is doing well at Palace but very much a number 2 though isn't he.

That explains everything, he must have been thinking about tactics when he allowed midfielders from the opposition to run past him without a challenge, don't worry Lee all if forgiven, if only I had realised at the time I wouldn't have called you a ****ing waste of space.

because lee was the only player who had to put a challenge in, and we never let that happen once he left........... :facepalm:

Fair play to Lee he has his head screwed on for sure, when many of his team mates were wasting their money he was investing in property and now it seems also himself.

But as far as qualifications go they aren't everything, you got to have that 'something' too. Wasn't Millen one of the most highly qualified people ever, more qualified than many Premier League managers or the England coach I thought? Fair enough he is doing well at Palace but very much a number 2 though isn't he.

Quite right re Millen.

That Sherwood bloke didn't have all the badges but he doesn't look too bad. Certainly no-one can quibble with his record of bringing through youth.

But as far as qualifications go they aren't everything, you got to have that 'something' too. Wasn't Millen one of the most highly qualified people ever, more qualified than many Premier League managers or the England coach I thought? Fair enough he is doing well at Palace but very much a number 2 though isn't he.

Quite right re Millen.

That Sherwood bloke didn't have all the badges but he doesn't look too bad. Certainly no-one can quibble with his record of bringing through youth.

Qualifications as a coach don't necessarily translate to being a Manager, I used to run courses on Manager Skills and coaching and performance was a small part of that. I was never convinced that I could train "man management" that seems to either be inate or something that is gained through experience and being empathetic.

because lee was the only player who had to put a challenge in, and we never let that happen once he left........... :facepalm:

He was the only player who kept getting picked despite never putting a challenge in. What is with the love in with this bloke? I expect all the Lee lovers thought it was right to put Paul Hartley on the bench and play him as well did they? Never hacked it when playing for a different manager other than his Dad, that should say it all.

He was the only player who kept getting picked despite never putting a challenge in. What is with the love in with this bloke? I expect all the Lee lovers thought it was right to put Paul Hartley on the bench and play him as well did they? Never hacked it when playing for a different manager other than his Dad, that should say it all.

Another incapable of dealing with anything which isn't black or white.

Exactly who do you think is to blame?

Sorry, but since when was Lee Johnson a defensive midfielder?

Just a couple of points:

- There were only 4 years during which he didn't play for his dad. But in any case, one he was a youth, the others in Scotland he lifted the League Cup and he had spells at Derby, who wanted to keep him but we wouldn't extend his loan, and Chesterfield, again where he impressed. So your statement is absolutely wide of the mark.

- Even though he played for his dad's side lets not forget he was sold on to Hearts, at Yeovil during successive promotion campaigns he was player of the season award 3 times on the bounce.

All this nepotism idea is absolute bollocks and actually just reflects more on the poster than anything else.

The only point you've made which I do share is that Paul Hartley was a much better midfield player. So no, if you want to call me a Lee lover because I'm not an ill-informed Lee Hater, I don't believe Lee should've been picked in front of Hartley. But he was and that was his Dad's call. There's plenty of other reasons for GJ perservering with LJ as opposed to PH which do not involve nepotism:

- Trust: This was a guy who GJ has worked with for years and knew intricately the job he wanted him to perform;

- Loyalty: Showing faith in the guys who have performed well for you in the past.

- Physical ability: Football-wise PH was imo streets ahead of LJ. But fitness absolutely was in question.

- Dedication: How dedicated to BCFC was PH really.....?

Whatever GJ's reasons I feel 100% certain DNA had nothing to do with it.

Just a couple of points:

- There were only 4 years during which he didn't play for his dad. But in any case, one he was a youth, the others in Scotland he lifted the League Cup and he had spells at Derby, who wanted to keep him but we wouldn't extend his loan, and Chesterfield, again where he impressed. So your statement is absolutely wide of the mark.

At Kilmarnock they came to a mutual agreement to finish his contract early, if he was so good why did he only get a job in the SPL in the first place?

I never saw him as a great player, nor as a very bad one. Bang average in my opinion.

Just a couple of points:

- Even though he played for his dad's side lets not forget he was sold on to Hearts, at Yeovil during successive promotion campaigns he was player of the season award 3 times on the bounce.

All this nepotism idea is absolute bollocks and actually just reflects more on the poster than anything else.

The only point you've made which I do share is that Paul Hartley was a much better midfield player. So no, if you want to call me a Lee lover because I'm not an ill-informed Lee Hater, I don't believe Lee should've been picked in front of Hartley. But he was and that was his Dad's call. There's plenty of other reasons for GJ perservering with LJ as opposed to PH which do not involve nepotism:

- Trust: This was a guy who GJ has worked with for years and knew intricately the job he wanted him to perform;

- Loyalty: Showing faith in the guys who have performed well for you in the past.

- Physical ability: Football-wise PH was imo streets ahead of LJ. But fitness absolutely was in question.

- Dedication: How dedicated to BCFC was PH really.....?

Whatever GJ's reasons I feel 100% certain DNA had nothing to do with it.

I do love a footballing myth. Let me help...

During Paul Hartley's single season with us, he started 36 league games, while Lee Johnson started 18.

Only 9 of Johnson's starts came when Hartley wasn't in the XI - and City lost just 2 of those.

A journalist doing actual research may come as a shock, I appreciate, but I hate opinions based on untruths!

At Kilmarnock they came to a mutual agreement to finish his contract early, if he was so good why did he only get a job in the SPL in the first place?

I never saw him as a great player, nor as a very bad one. Bang average in my opinion.

I don't think anyone's alluded to the fact that he was an amazing player. Just that he wouldn't have received anywhere near the level of criticism he did, had he not been related to the manager.

The bolded part is probably the biggest load of nonsense I have read on otib. Congratulations.

Here's one for you to ponder: how do you know he only got a job in the SPL in the first place? We know that was his destination but doesn't make it his only offer.

Even if it is/was what does this determine? Perhaps Lee having been at a club which was 'going places' and 'sleeping giantjust didn't fancy any of that given his experiences here. Perhaps he enjoyed being with a smaller fish like Yeovil and was sold a dream at Killie. Perhaps his Mrs liked Killie?

The bolded part is probably the biggest load of nonsense I have read on otib. Congratulations.

Here's one for you to ponder: how do you know he only got a job in the SPL in the first place? We know that was his destination but doesn't make it his only offer.

Even if it is/was what does this determine? Perhaps Lee having been at a club which was 'going places' and 'sleeping giantjust didn't fancy any of that given his experiences here. Perhaps he enjoyed being with a smaller fish like Yeovil and was sold a dream at Killie. Perhaps his Mrs liked Killie?

or he went to increase his Exposure to coaching and left to get a job a oldham (left Killi at the end of jan 2013 and became oldham boss march 18th)

or he went to increase his Exposure to coaching and left to get a job a oldham (left Killi at the end of jan 2013 and became oldham boss march 18th)

Indeed. But nah that doesn't fit the rhetoric. I mean, if he has all these badges and exposure etc and he's so highly thought of, why has he only had job offers in League One?!

Archived