IGNORED

Raheem Stirling To Reject 180K A Week.

Talk Of The Town

Sterlings actually come out and said he doesn't want to talk about his contract until the season ends as it's a distraction. Plus he might not be turning down 180k a week but just the contract itself He has no real connection with Liverpool and spent most of his time in London. Might want a move back there or maybe one abroad.

Sterlings actually come out and said he doesn't want to talk about his contract until the season ends as it's a distraction. Plus he might not be turning down 180k a week but just the contract itself He has no real connection with Liverpool and spent most of his time in London. Might want a move back there or maybe one abroad.

I don't think potentially turning down or reasoning is the shock figure, that it's reportedly in that region in any case is the shock factor.

Liverpool have behaved pretty shit in this in all fairness. Rodgers came out months ago and said Sterling would be signing a new contract imminently, they have tried to put pressure on him to sign by doing all the talking in the media and slipping journalists salary figures to portray him in a bad light.

Sterling holds all the cards and I can't see him signing for less than what any top player would get, he's good enough to play for club and country at his young age and is one of their star players, so deserves the salary to match.

We've seen young players simular to him before.

Shaun wright Phillips and Aaron Lennon spring to mind

Why do you not like Sterling? Anyone with any football knowledge knows he is so much better than those two players you mention.

And he hasn't turned down the money. Apparently it's not about the money. Not that you'll be convinced I'm sure.

Don't believe everything anything you read in the Daily Mail.

I actually find the Daily Mail a valuable source when I am looking for guidance:  if an event arises about which I am not fully versed, I look to see what stance the Daily Mail has taken and then take an opinion the polar opposite. 

The interesting question is why would Sterling reject a new contract?  Is it really just money?  I doubt it.  I expect he's been tapped up by a club that might win a title.

A lot of the fluff surrounding it is rubbish. Another paper was saying Liverpool are eyeing up Walcott as an ideal replacement. He'd certainly keep their physio busy.

Genuine question, why? Are people really that upset about the salaries other people earn?

I think because most people realise that unless they are invited on to Top Gear they will never drive a reasonably priced car. Of course, even that opportunity might now be somewhat remote so they will have to befriend David James instead.

Genuine question, why?  Are people really that upset about the salaries other people earn?

What make's me ill is being subordinate to policy makers when day care centres, college courses and dementia care is 'cut', reading stories like this.

Really quite ill.

Most exciting / best talent we have at the moment IMO

Streets ahead of SWP and Lennon IMO

The money across the Prem is simply ridiculous so in comparison with some others wages he prob is 'worth that sort of money' (In the crazy world of the Premier League)

As others have indicated - think it's more about wanting to be back in London

Genuine question, why? Are people really that upset about the salaries other people earn?

No, don't care what someone else earns on the whole but I agree with the poster above: sterling to me is just pace and little differential between him, Lennon, Townsend etc.

It's shocking and sickening just as an example of the rut football is in, that someone who's ball skills are at best limited may be rewarded so handsomely

For those saying he's "just pace" and like SWP or Lennon do me a favour. I personally think Sterling isn't worth that money yet but he's technically superior to those mentioned and probably already has more career goals and assists than Lennon has in his entire career. Pretty poor comparison in all honesty.

Sterling is only young, not sure why anyone would be so dismissive of him at this age? Over rated? Yes. Just pace? I'm sorry but that's nonsense. His pass to Rooney at the WC for Sturridge's goal was world class and something the likes of Aaron Lennon could only dream of.

It is difficult to directly compare him because most of the players you'd perhaps look to pair him against - SWP, Lennon etc, have been blooded in: they've had loans, games in the Championship etc. I acknowledge this demonstrates how well Sterling has done to blood himself at the top level.

It is also difficult because they play in different positions. SWP, Lennon when breaking through were very much traditional, touchline wingers. Sterling however spends a lot of his time through the middle, even playing as Liverpool's strikers on occassions. Therefore to consider goals and assists is somewhat unfair. Also Sterling played alongside arguably one of the top 5 strikers in the world. I would expect Sterling's goals or assists to be higher, significantly, because of the space Suarez created and his proficiency at finishing chances laid on for him, Daniel Sturridge as well being one of the top in form strikers in the premier league at the time.

Sterling's England record is vastly different from his Liverpool stats. 1 goal, 1 assist in 14 games per commentary on Friday (I have not verified). He's faced a mixed bag of teams there, some very strong, some very weak.

I will absolutely admit that, based upon what I have seen, I don't see much between Sterling now and Lennon, SWP, Andros Townsend etc when they were breaking through. Their games are largely about pace. Whilst there are isolated examples, I don't think on the whole Sterling has good reading of the game, I don't think he's particularly adept at finding people, I think he is rash in his decision making - ultimately I don't think he has developed that footballing brain where it just clicks.

With experience Sterling could absolutely have the eureka moment where it clicks and he could be a world class player. Luckily for him he has all the natural attributes that cannot be taught although he is lacking in areas you can be taught and you can develop if you learn from experiences.

But I don't think he is anywhere close to being there yet and I don't really think there are signs that he is progressing. He is coming close to the razor's edge in where his career trajectory goes. He has the potential, but he needs to put in a massive shift to make it. The danger of contracts such as the one mooted here is he may believe he has made it and the foot comes off the gas (if it is on there, I'm unconvinced).

Archived