IGNORED

Raheem Stirling To Reject 180K A Week.

Talk Of The Town

Got to be honest having read his interview this morning there is a lot of "I" involved. I can see what he is saying but all I can hear is "It's all about me, not the team".

'It's never been about money. I talk about winning trophies throughout my career. That's all I talk about.

'I don't talk about how many cars I'm going to drive, how many houses I've got. I just purely want to be the best I can be.

'I don't want to be perceived as a money-grabbing 20-year-old.

'I try to kill it off, but I don't think the public can see it that way.

'I think they just see it as this 20-year-old boy being greedy.

'I just want to take the time to think about what I've achieved in my career so far, where I need to go and what I need to do to get better as a player.

'Everyone's dream growing up is seeing themselves in an away kit somewhere in a sunny country. But, in reality, I'm happy to be playing for Liverpool and trying to win trophies.'

'If, at that point in time [last season], I was offered a contract, I most definitely would have signed straight away, probably for far less money than being said now.

'I just think the timing was a bit off.'

As someone who thinks he has a long way to go I thought it was a refreshing interview - if it actually mirrors his feelings.

I get where you're coming from - I before team - but there's no team signing the contract extension and he's absolutely right. let's not forget he is not a Liverpool fan, they are his employer. Whilst what Stevie G did by staying so long is admirable to some, he's probably looking at Stevie G and thinking if I have a shot to be as good as you are/were, I'd hope to have more in my trophy cabinet. Stevie G remarkably probably encourages, by example and not literally, someone like Sterling to go.

He is getting poor advice as that interview shows, and the I would of signed the contract last year comment was embarrassing and makes him look an idiot.

He's getting very good advice, why would he commit to a long term contract worth less than what he could get elsewhere? Liverpool are not going to compete with Man City, Chelsea or Man Utd for top end transfers limiting their chance of winning trophies.

He is getting poor advice as that interview shows, and the I would of signed the contract last year comment was embarrassing and makes him look an idiot.

Liverpool are in a battle for fourth and will be every year for the foreseeable future.  Last season was the chance and they bottled it.  If he wants to win trophies, not committing himself to a long term contract at Liverpool is a smart move.  He's going to earn more money than he can ever spend regardless.

I don't blame him to be honest, FFS Rogers signed Balotelli and believed he could be the first person in football to convince blooper Mario that football is a team game and not all about his ego, what chance has he got there?.

Anyway it's obvious these days that players are tapped up via a 3rd party (the agent) and although Rogers has been talking tough today about Sterling saying he still has 2 years left on his contract, in the past 10 years in world football, when has that ever made a difference to when and where a player wants to leave?.

PS:- I think he's over rated anyway. Got the the look of SWP to me.

I don't blame him to be honest, FFS Rogers signed Balotelli and believed he could be the first person in football to convince blooper Mario that football is a team game and not all about his ego, what chance has he got there?.

Anyway it's obvious these days that players are tapped up via a 3rd party (the agent) and although Rogers has been talking tough today about Sterling saying he still has 2 years left on his contract, in the past 10 years in world football, when has that ever made a difference to when and where a player wants to leave?.

PS:- I think he's over rated anyway. Got the the look of SWP to me.

This story sprang to mind http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22460580

Suspect Liverpool will dig deep and if Sterling has any sense at all he will end up staying for another year (in the same vein Modric did at Spurs) before getting his wish.

Having said that, Man City are rumoured to be having a huge clear out . . . .

He still has over 2 years left on his current deal so unless Liverpool want to sell him he will be going nowhere. Clearly he doesn't see his future at Liverpool, but conducting himself the way he has means clubs offering to buy would offer less knowing he doesn't want to be there. Personally don't rate Rodgers as a manager at all, and he comes across as so boring so it doesn't surprise me that the better players don't want to be there. But the reality is, he will still be a Liverpool player next season, and he'll only be one the year after if Liverpool are prepared to see him walk out a free agent at the end of his contract.

Archived