IGNORED

Joe Bryan Turns Down Scotland

JM91

I think the agreement is in regard to residency naturalisation only. There is no such agreement for players that have (limited) family links.

As for JB, he was called up for the U21's but withdrew to a head injury.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/021012-bryanscotlandcall-403358.aspx

Not sure how Jordan Rhodes slipped through the net then. He is English, but plays for Scotland on the basis that he spent part of his childhood there.

Diego Costa played for Brazil before making his competitive debut (and 3rd cap) for Spain during the last world cup. You are only tied to a nation if you play a competitive game for that country. He could of played against Northern Ireland and still play for England in 3 years time. If he would of played against Gibraltar, a qualifier, he would then only be eligible for Scotland as he'd of played a competitive game.

Or if you are really good you can even play in world cups for one country and then switch to playing for another country later in your career.

Puskas? Di Stefano?

Not sure how Jordan Rhodes slipped through the net then. He is English, but plays for Scotland on the basis that he spent part of his childhood there.

I thought that just like Matt Ritchie, who famously said he'd never been to Scotland when called up by them, that Jordan Rhodes qualified for Scotland because his Dad (who was Rangers' goalie) was born there.

If a player is named in a squad of an Under 21 or a Senior squad, whether they play or not, they are not eligible for any other International club.

Joe Bryan will never be eligible for anyone bar Scotland.

This is currently incorrect, however after the election who knows? ...

When the Scots SNP finally get their hands on and officially take over the Westminster asylum!

They'll relish the opportunity to make the Sassanachs pay for everything and spirit young Joe away and across the northern border..

Ve Haf Vays Of Makin You Eat Haggis, Porridge, and deep fried Mars Bars... So making you play shit football will be easy!

Beware the Scots (but vote Labour anyway)

That doesn't seemed to have stopped vast swathes of Englishmen from representing Wales,Scotland and the republic...

Quite right. In other sports it hasn't stopped the England cricket team selecting Ireland's best players and then dropping them like a stone at the first opportunity (bar Morgan). It hasn't stopped the English rugby team from selecting various Pacific Islanders either. ;)

Being a Scotland supporting (and Scottish based) City fan (Born in Bristol- Scottish parentage) it would be brilliant if he played for Scotland- I understand his family is Scottish...the only problem is Scotland's most exciting prospect Andrew Robertson is also a left sided wing back/ midfielder- so I doubt he will get much game time. As per the above poster there are plenty of self righteous England supporters on here the cricket and rugby teams have plenty of naturalised Englishmen in their teams whereas at least Scotland players have some sort of link to the country through parentage 

Lots of patriotism on here but if your best chance of playing international football - and potentially a major tournament - was with one of the other home nations, I suspect most people would take it. I certainly would.

As much as I rate Joe, realistically he has a far better chance of making the Scotland team than the England one. They are not currently a strong team, but Joe has another 10-12 years in the game in which they could become one. With the Euros expanded to 24 teams, their chances of qualifying for a tournament are greatly improved.

So if the original post has any truth and Joe does indeed have to opportunity, if I was him I would take it.

Or if you are really good you can even play in world cups for one country and then switch to playing for another country later in your career.

Puskas? Di Stefano?

That was under old rules I think. Di Stefano played for Argentina (where he was from), Colombia and Spain.

Realistically Joe Bryan is never going to play for England, so if he has a proper link to Scotland, ie a parent born there, then if I was him I'd go with them.

Obviously he has more chance of playing for Scotland than he does England, but personally if it was me I couldn't imagine playing for any country apart from England.

The romance of a football fan!

I suspect the mentality changes when people do actually become professional footballers.

For example, if I were a City player and Chelsea (God forbid) came and offered me 20x the wages, enough to set myself and my family up for a generation, would I not take up the offer? hmmmm

I'd play for Ireland because my Grandmother was Irish and I feel a slight sense of patriotism towards Ireland - even though I'm born and bred Bristolian.

If a player is named in a squad of an Under 21 or a Senior squad, whether they play or not, they are not eligible for any other International club.

Umm Diego Costa anyone?....

In an idle moment, I worked out that a Channel Islander with assorted parents and grandparents could be qualified for at least ten countries...

Indeed, very strange rules if you're a Channel Islander. I believe as there's no national team there (their teams compete in the club leagues) you're eligible for any of the 4 teams in the United Kingdom. Add onto that 2 parents and 4 grandparents of differing nationality, that's 10 different countries you're eligible for!

He was eligible for England as he lived here since the age of six. He could also have chosen Sierra Leone, as his granddad came from there.

He was never eligible for the senior England team. The rules changed around 2009 - if by that time he had not played for Wales in a competitive game, he would then have been eligible for England, but not before. If you google 'Ryan Giggs eligible for England' one of the top matches is a BBC article explaining why (there are similar articles from the Guardian and goal.com)

He was never eligible for the senior England team. The rules changed around 2009 - if by that time he had not played for Wales in a competitive game, he would then have been eligible for England, but not before. If you google 'Ryan Giggs eligible for England' one of the top matches is a BBC article explaining why (there are similar articles from the Guardian and goal.com)

And before anyone mentions John Barnes, his case was different as he was born outside the UK. Players born outside the UK who subsequently obtain a British passport have a choice of which of the 4 home nations to represent. Barnes, Le Tissier and Le Saux chose England; there was one who chose Northern Ireland (I have a feeling it was Maik Taylor).

I'd play for Ireland because my Grandmother was Irish and I feel a slight sense of patriotism towards Ireland - even though I'm born and bred Bristolian.

I go with whoever is doing well at the moment.

I used to be part Spanish, but now I have become German-Argentinian.

And I am a little bit Cape Verde Islands. Probably on my mother's side.

Being a Scotland supporting (and Scottish based) City fan (Born in Bristol- Scottish parentage) it would be brilliant if he played for Scotland- I understand his family is Scottish...the only problem is Scotland's most exciting prospect Andrew Robertson is also a left sided wing back/ midfielder- so I doubt he will get much game time. As per the above poster there are plenty of self righteous England supporters on here the cricket and rugby teams have plenty of naturalised Englishmen in their teams whereas at least Scotland players have some sort of link to the country through parentage

You were born in Bristol, you're English. Celebrate the fact you're double blessed. Bristolian and English. If you were brought up in Bemmy, then you really are one if God's chosen.

Didn't Giggs play for England in a younger age group before having his full international career with Wales?

England Schoolboys, he went to school in England.

Pretty sure the Giggs thing was always rubbish.

Think he played for England schoolboys but was never eligible for any full England sides.

Correct.

Diego Costa.

I thought that just like Matt Ritchie, who famously said he'd never been to Scotland when called up by them, that Jordan Rhodes qualified for Scotland because his Dad (who was Rangers' goalie) was born there.

His dad's from Doncaster according to Wikipedia, Gray.

Archived