IGNORED

Gary Johnson

old_eastender

Looks like taking Cheltenham out of the league having left Yeovil lined up for relegation too... and to think some on here wanted him back before Cotts signed...

Dear oh dear, you know if you can write something reasonable and fair, then maybe best to say nothing at times.

"Looks like taking cheltenham out of the league" has to be as unfair a comment as i have read for some time, and on otib thats saying something.

In the 180 minutes he has taken control of cheltenham he has already got them showing the kind of spirit and grit that if he had been appointed even say 6 games ago, they may have gotten out of the position they are in.

And yes before you ask i was at york friday and at whaddon road today, so i speak with rather greater authority than you im guessing.

Today they deserved at least a point against a top 6 team, i havent been able to say that too ofetn recently.

He wont take prisoners, but he will make this lot grow up very quickly.

PS.... And to prove that point he left the skipper out today as he decided to attend a weddding saturday instead of training.

He's actually the most successful manager we've had out of the last 19 !!!

October 1980-January 1982: Bob Houghton
January 1982-April 1982: Roy Hodgson
May 1982-March 1988: Terry Cooper
March 1988-September 1990: Joe Jordan
September 1990-February 1992: Jimmy Lumsden
March 1992-January 1993: Denis Smith
January 1993-November 1994: Russell Osman
November 1994-March 1997: Joe Jordan
March 1997- October 1998: John Ward
October 1998-July 1999: Benny Lennartsson
July 1999-January 2000: Tony Pulis
January 2000-May 2000: Tony Fawthrop **
June 2000-July 2004: Danny Wilson
July 2004-September 2005: Brian Tinnion
September 2005-March 2010: Gary Johnson
April 2010-August 2010: Steve Coppell
August 2010-October 2011: Keith Millen
October 2011-January 2013: Derek McInnes
January 2013-November 2013: Sean O'Driscoll

Cheltenham if they win 2 of their final fixtures will stay up, that's how bad it is at the bottom of that league. The way they played the last two games, they could quite easily do that. Tranmere and Hartlepool are that bad, that even 1 win, might be enough. Carlisle have started to get a bit of form together and another win will see themselves out of the scrap. Mansfield are 6 points from relegation and they won't be dragged into it.

All 3 will lose their next games, Tranmere play Southend away, Hartlepool could sneak a draw at York at best but will likely lose,. Cheltenham have the hard task of going to Wycombe.

I can see Cheltenham beating a nothing to play for Cambridge the following weak, whilst Mansfield know a win against Tranmere sees them safe. Hartlepool are home to Accrington which could go either way.

Luton will then thrash Hartlepool, Tranmere should get a draw from Oxford, and Cheltenham might get a point against Northampton, who have been poor of late.

Cheltenham Vs the Shrews will be hard, but Chelt will be up for it, Especially with Hartlepool having a hard game at home to Exeter and Tranmere away to Plymouth looking certain defeats.

The final game will be crucial and Wimbledon's record against the lower clubs will give Cheltenham hope, whilst Tranmere will face the very hard task of Bury who could still be fighting for automatic. Hartlepool Vs Carlisle is the real relegation fixture and as long as Carlisle haven't been dragged into they can't afford a lose.

The teams at the bottom are bad, but I personally feel Cheltenham have the best run in and 2 wins will see them stay up.

I hope they can squeak out of the drop. Twas always a hell of an ask to give him so short a time to save them.

Assuming FGR don't go up via the play-offs, Chelts can keep their proud place as Gloucestershire's most successful team.

And birthplace of St Steve of the Cotts, of course.

Archived