IGNORED

Ash the Bash

This is fine with the club if the youngster is accompanied by a parent or chaperoned by an adult, but I haven't seen a huge number of kids at AG in recent years.

Would they sell season tickets to 5 13 year old friends who want to support their local club but whose (perhaps non Bristolian) parents aren't interested?

Apparently not, and we've heard first hand stories on here of fans seeing groups of friends aged about 13/14 being denied POTD entry. That's exactly the way to get them back to Sky sports in their living room.

They ought to put a cheap block aside for unaccompanied 11-15 year olds, pay on the day, get there early first come first served until it's full. That's the way to get fans of the future - provide somewhere they can enjoy themselves and really let themselves go with like minded friends.

The Liverpool Kop of the 70's had a set aside boy's area on one side where lads went until they felt physically able to take their chances in the surging centre of the stand. By then they'd stood with their school friends for years and were already completely steeped in the Kop and the club.

We need something similar, if not for the same reason, a cheap 'lad's Block' and stop all this ridiculous chaperoning nonsense - alot of us whose parents weren't interested would never have found BCFC if we hadn't gone independently with a group of school mates originally.

That's a good idea.

Three seasons ago I took along my nephew and his three school mates when it was a "quid a kid" day and paid for them. (Yeah, I know, call me Mr Generosity!)

They were the usual - in this area - mix of armchair fans of the big Prem clubs.

They sat where the rail seats now are, had a great day out and my nephew and his best mate were converted to the ciderhead way of righteousness and have been back numerous times since.

The club has to do stuff to attract this sort of young supporter. When you look around the ground it's a sea of grey hair and bald pates. We'll get to a stage where poor Lloydy will have to spend 10 minutes at half-time reading out the list of fans that have died since the last fixture!

That's a good idea.

Three seasons ago I took along my nephew and his three school mates when it was a "quid a kid" day and paid for them. (Yeah, I know, call me Mr Generosity!)

They were the usual - in this area - mix of armchair fans of the big Prem clubs.

They sat where the rail seats now are, had a great day out and my nephew and his best mate were converted to the ciderhead way of righteousness and have been back numerous times since.

The club has to do stuff to attract this sort of young supporter. When you look around the ground it's a sea of grey hair and bald pates. We'll get to a stage where poor Lloydy will have to spend 10 minutes at half-time reading out the list of fans that have died since the last fixture!

Where are these rail seats?

If the ground is finished for the start of the '16/17 season and we're doing quite well in the championship, I fully expect to average 18/20k.

The new facilities alone will bring in more, the fact you'll be able to, for most games, turn up on the day with 3 or 4 mates, pay on the day and crucially all sit together, will appeal to many in our huge catchment area.

If we reach the promised land, a very different brand than when we were last in the top flight, we'll be like Stoke and pretty much sell out each week.

Exciting times if we can maintain the momentum we have at the moment.........something we've struggled with in the past.

Can you not drive to W-S-M and get train to Parson st or is it too much hassle?

getting home is the hassle especially night matches, at least I am home by 11 if its an evening ko and I drive, plus I just live round corner from Highbridge Station.

We have a railway platform close to Ashton Gate ( parson street ) I wonder if this line can become of more use?

Potentially, although I believe trains on this line are very well used before/after games at Ashton Gate and unfoetunately there is very little Bristol City/Bristol Sport can do about this.

I know Bristol Sport are campaigning for a new station at Ashton Gate as part of a reopening of the line to Portishead.

Potentially, although I believe trains on this line are very well used before/after games at Ashton Gate and unfoetunately there is very little Bristol City/Bristol Sport can do about this.

I know Bristol Sport are campaigning for a new station at Ashton Gate as part of a reopening of the line to Portishead.

i believe a station on the reopened Portishead line is part of the preferred option of the line so could be open as soon as 5 years time,

the Portishead line is phase 3 of the Bristol metro after the Henbury line between Avonmouth and Filton and making Temple Meads to Filton 4 track with new stations

getting home is the hassle especially night matches, at least I am home by 11 if its an evening ko and I drive, plus I just live round corner from Highbridge Station.

just get the train from Highbridge, i get it sometimes from Bridgwater and it's easy just change trains at Weston or Bristol Temple Meads as a ticket from Taunton, Bridgwater or Highbridge to Parson st is valid vir Bristol as it can give a fast journey,

and after a night game it's a direct train so even easier

If the ground is finished for the start of the '16/17 season and we're doing quite well in the championship, I fully expect to average 18/20k.

Agree. I fully expect us to have a decent first season back in the Championship which will set us up nicely for when the development is in 2016.. The club (which im sure they will) should be looking for a minimum of at least 16/17 k season tickets for that year which as you should should mean an average of about 20 ish k a week

This is fine with the club if the youngster is accompanied by a parent or chaperoned by an adult, but I haven't seen a huge number of kids at AG in recent years.

Would they sell season tickets to 5 13 year old friends who want to support their local club but whose (perhaps non Bristolian) parents aren't interested?

Apparently not, and we've heard first hand stories on here of fans seeing groups of friends aged about 13/14 being denied POTD entry. That's exactly the way to get them back to Sky sports in their living room.

They ought to put a cheap block aside for unaccompanied 11-15 year olds, pay on the day, get there early first come first served until it's full. That's the way to get fans of the future - provide somewhere they can enjoy themselves and really let themselves go with like minded friends.

The Liverpool Kop of the 70's had a set aside boy's area on one side where lads went until they felt physically able to take their chances in the surging centre of the stand. By then they'd stood with their school friends for years and were already completely steeped in the Kop and the club.

We need something similar, if not for the same reason, a cheap 'lad's Block' and stop all this ridiculous chaperoning nonsense - alot of us whose parents weren't interested would never have found BCFC if we hadn't gone independently with a group of school mates originally.

A great idea and one the club should explore - however I would be confident wagering that the reason the club turns away unaccompanied children/young adults has very little or even absolutely nothing to do with club policy but is a condition precedent of some of the clubs' insurance policies

Don't forget by an insurer's logic football fans are violent and a menace to society so unaccompanied kids are not only in grave danger, they'd get the biggest compo if anything were to happen so better put in controls or charge through the nose.

i believe a station on the reopened Portishead line is part of the preferred option of the line so could be open as soon as 5 years time,

the Portishead line is phase 3 of the Bristol metro after the Henbury line between Avonmouth and Filton and making Temple Meads to Filton 4 track with new stations

The latest plans I saw did not have a station at Ashton Gate, the only new stations would be at Portishead and Pill. However, Bristol Sport are a large part of the group campaigning for a new station: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Group-pledges-line-stop-new-station/story-25715823-detail/story.html

Ultimately the chances of a station at Ashton Gate opening are probably linked to possible demand - hence Bristol Sport making a big deal in the above link of the redeveloped ground attracting over a million visitors each year.

Sorry I know we've eluded to this in other threads but just wanted to explore peoples opinions a bit more..

Now we've got a real sense of what the ground will look like when finished with the South Stand going up and the release of Bristol Sport's videos etc. are people worried about having a half empty ground? Lets face it we'll struggle to get 27k through the gates even if we're doing well in the Championship. This is all hit home with me when Cotterill was talking about a Swindon style atmosphere with 27,000(ish) City fans.

I know this sounds negative, I am very grateful that Lansdown has decided to pump his own dosh into this & I think a 27k ground is a sensible size for us looking forward, and it looks bloody cracking. I guess if we ever made it to the Prem we'd sell a lot more seats but still worried about the seasons immediately following the grounds completion.

Build it and they will come.

Archived