IGNORED

Where If Anywhere Do You Think We Need To Strengthen Up In The Summer?

iamalagerdrinker

Another goalkeeper (Dan Bentley, please); competition for Little & either retain Cunningham or someone to replace him; perhaps another ball-playing central defender to cover for Williams & Ayling if needed; at least another central midfielder to replace Elliott &/or Pack (Sawyer at Walsall looks a prospect); at LEAST two strikers to compliment Agard IF he ends up the only striker left once the summer hits due to JET & Wilbraham's contracts expiring.

All that is also predicated on Reid, Burns & El Abd not featuring, no one else leaving the squad who is under contract (like Osborne), and those with expiring contracts likely leaving.

7 new signings? No chance.

I would have full confidence for our ordinary starting 11 to start the first game next season. For me as long as we recruit sufficient strength in depth that's fine.

7 new signings? No chance.

If JET, Elliot, Pack, Wilbraham, Wagstaff, Richards & Taviner leave you're down seven immediately.

Like I said; was working on the presumption that no one out of contract stays, and those on loan have no role, which may not happen and would limit signings.

Plus; made 7 signings this summer (Freeman, Little, Wilbraham, Elliot, Agard, Smith, Ayling), so hardly without precedence.

GK- Not seen him play but Bentley has been mentioned a lot and is a good prospect by the sounds of it. Not urgent though, would still be fairly happy with Fielding.

RWB- Nathan Byrne or Jack Hunt

CM- We won't be able to get Luongo but Kasim would also be a good addition. George Savile is another shout, has barely played for us but I've liked the look of him when he has played. Chris McCann has been mentioned in here before and would probably fancy the move here with Wigan going down.

ST- Matt Smith and someone pacy, Nahki Wells would be ideal

As the title says.. As we're pretty much up already now, where do you think we could strengthen up over the summer ready for the Championship? Who would you like to see brought in?

Decent keeper,another c-half,an orrible ball winning tuff nut in the middle,plus at least one striker..not too sure about Agard and the step up and Wilbs ain't getting any younger so we may need two with the doubt about jet also handling it..

I would have full confidence for our ordinary starting 11 to start the first game next season. For me as long as we recruit sufficient strength in depth that's fine.

That depends on your ambition. The team as it stands would comfortably survive in my opinion, but if we're looking to finish top half or even push for the play offs, we need to recruit. Strikers are the priority for me; Wilbraham isn't getting any younger, and if Agard already divides opinion at L1 level that doesn't bode well for the Championship.

I also think we need an all-round midfielder to challenge for the Pack/Elliott position.

to survive in the championship we need two new, quick, strong, goal hungry strikers, plus a tall midfielder

preferably from teams staying in league one like rochdale and swindon

southend's goalie would be good

BUT more importantly any player coming through the academy would be

A miraculous

B lovely

If JET, Elliot, Pack, Wilbraham, Wagstaff, Richards & Taviner leave you're down seven immediately.

Like I said; was working on the presumption that no one out of contract stays, and those on loan have no role, which may not happen and would limit signings.

Plus; made 7 signings this summer (Freeman, Little, Wilbraham, Elliot, Agard, Smith, Ayling), so hardly without precedence.

Wilbraham has triggered another year, Wagstaff is under contract for next season so I really doubt those two will go, plus Tavernier isn't our player anyway, (whereas El-Abd, Reid and Burns all are) and I can certainly see these 3 coming back from their loans unless we can move El-Abd on.

We did make 7 signings last summer but actually 8 left us (Parish, Moloney, Carey, Fontaine, Pearson, Elliott, Kelly and Baldock) but no way will more than 3 go this time, in my opinion, of course...

A better keeper than Richards, a right sided defender, a central midfielder and Matt Smith will do fine.

• Admin

Dont ever buy somebody as cover

Always buy better than you already have

Ok, Sergio Aguero, Cristiano Ronaldo, Jordi Alba, Dani Alves & Manuel Neuer

Imagine how many goals Aguero & Ronaldo would score with Freeman playing behind them.

Wilbraham has triggered another year, Wagstaff is under contract for next season so I really doubt those two will go, plus Tavernier isn't our player anyway, (whereas El-Abd, Reid and Burns all are) and I can certainly see these 3 coming back from their loans unless we can move El-Abd on.

We did make 7 signings last summer but actually 8 left us (Parish, Moloney, Carey, Fontaine, Pearson, Elliott, Kelly and Baldock) but no way will more than 3 go this time, in my opinion, of course...

A better keeper than Richards, a right sided defender, a central midfielder and Matt Smith will do fine.

Didn't realise that Wilbraham & Wagstaff had additional years, and as mentioned; was presuming El Abd ha played his last match for us, and that Burns & Reid might struggle to make the first team squad, so in that case I'd say you were right and we didn't need many in the door.

Smith would be a coup; really hope we've perhaps already started making enquiries about that.

GK- Not seen him play but Bentley has been mentioned a lot and is a good prospect by the sounds of it. Not urgent though, would still be fairly happy with Fielding.

RWB- Nathan Byrne or Jack Hunt

CM- We won't be able to get Luongo but Kasim would also be a good addition. George Savile is another shout, has barely played for us but I've liked the look of him when he has played. Chris McCann has been mentioned in here before and would probably fancy the move here with Wigan going down.

ST- Matt Smith and someone pacy, Nahki Wells would be ideal

Id go along the lines of this aswell, maybe a promising kid on loan from a Prem club could be a shout aswell..

Fowards are paramount though IMO, if we could get Smith and one other we will be laughing i think.

Make you just about spot on there, although if I was being greedy, I'd like an extra pacy forward.

People mentioning Luongo but lets face it, Swindle will not sell him to City without getting Lansdown pay an extortionate price.. They are a local rival (of sorts) and judging by comments Power has made in the past, he probably doesnt like us very much

On that basis, he wouldnt be a viable target.

Especially having seen how much Swindon players thrive once they make the step up to the bigger club in the region :laugh:

you on a wind up? the present side is easily mid table making no signings

Its pretty hard to call either way to be honest, one things for certain goals would be bloody hard to come by with our current strike force in the Championship.. Can anyone see Agard Wilbs or JET getting above 10 next season? I cant to be honest.

Its pretty hard to call either way to be honest, one things for certain goals would be bloody hard to come by with our current strike force in the Championship.. Can anyone see Agard Wilbs or JET getting above 10 next season? I cant to be honest.

comprende but still say this side would more than hold its own and yeah we probably get the odd drubbing ala Ipswich 1st season in championship

imo - our current side would sit around 10th to 14th in the championship - no changes - however remember GJ's squad in the 1st season back in Tier 2 ?

I would say - 2 additional strikers, 2 midfield players, 2 defence - 6 signings is hardly breaking the bank and we initially keep faith with the existing squad! - job done

COYR 

If we are sticking with the same formation (and why not) then even atm I'd say:

• GK to give Fielding competition (unless anyone knows if Richards would be up to the task?)
  • RWB, while Little is good I feel he's not as good defensively as we may need next season
  • Back up CB (at least 1 depending on Osbourne)
  • CM (again at least 1 depending on Wade Elliott)
  • ST (at least 1 depending if JET stays, don't think Agard will cut it at Championship as a striker)

Candidates for these roles

GK - Sam Johnstone (only on loan at Preston and looked very good), Wes Foderingham (providing Swindon don't go up), Joe Lewis, Daniel Bentley

RWB - Todd Kane, Nathan Byrne, James Tavernier, Shaun Cummings

CB - Not sure in all honesty

CM - Ben Gladwin, Connor Hourihane, Ed Upson

ST - Will Grigg, Matt Done (if Sheffield Utd don't go up), Martyn Waghorn, Matt Smith

Tavernier is not better than Little

Putting a slightly different spin on this..

Do we think that we could be losing any of our star players due to a sizeable bid? I think the main targets for other clubs in no particular order would be ayling, flint, freeman and Bryan. Would be awful if we lost any of those

Was discussing this the other day. I'd say Freeman and Bryan would be the 2 on most clubs radars. Given the clubs stated policy of bringing on players with sell on value, we could be suscepible to bids, but, IMO, it would take bids in the Deli Ali region for us to part with either.

I wouldn't want to see players come in as 'competition' or 'back up' as we should be aiming to buy players to improve team. With that in mind I would say replacing Little, Pack/Elliott, Wilbs & Agard. Id be happy with these in squad mind.

Other positions potentially (if we're being greedy) would be defensive cover for all 3 players and 2nd goalkeeper.

I also hope we keep JET because he has the skill needed to unlock defences at higher level, plus players get more space at higher level which would suit him. I'm expecting about 5 out and 5 in as Cotts seems to prefer small quality squad

Archived