IGNORED

Where If Anywhere Do You Think We Need To Strengthen Up In The Summer?

iamalagerdrinker

I wouldn't want to see players come in as 'competition' or 'back up' as we should be aiming to buy players to improve team. With that in mind I would say replacing Little, Pack/Elliott, Wilbs & Agard. Id be happy with these in squad mind.

Other positions potentially (if we're being greedy) would be defensive cover for all 3 players and 2nd goalkeeper.

I also hope we keep JET because he has the skill needed to unlock defences at higher level, plus players get more space at higher level which would suit him. I'm expecting about 5 out and 5 in as Cotts seems to prefer small quality squad

I would like to see JET get a contract extension. He's very unique and I'd rather him in our squad than potentially playing against us. I hope Cotteril feels the same

If i assumed we kept the same squad as now, we could do far worse than try for Byrne, Luongo and Gladwin from Swindle. All players that would easily fit our shape.

Add Matt Smith and a nippy striker, a left sided CB and a GK andi think we'd be more than handy.

A bit of ambition in the transfer market in this way i reckon would make a small statement of intent. Squad of around 24 required for next season i reckon.

Lots of focus on L1 players.

If we want to replicate this season's excellent recruitment strategy then shouldn't we be looking at some of the best, young players the C'ship has to offer?

We are an attractive, upwardly mobile club right now. I'd be going after some proven C'ship youngsters first...

Depends what kind of budget SC will have to work with.. 'Proven' championship youngsters won't be cheap..

What do people in general think the budget will be? Will we be spending a 1mill + on 1 player for example ala Trundle and Maynard?

Letting Pack go would be an absolute disaster. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Pack will thrive in the Championship IMO. We've seen how well he's played in his recent run of games and that midfield trio of Freeman, Korey and Pack is absolute class.

Definitely need to strengthen up top.

Quite worried about losing Bryan to a big bid but I'm confident we'll turn down all bids unless a player expresses an interest to leave - but the key thing here is the group seem to be so close-knit that I am confident nobody will leave this summer.

Lots of focus on L1 players.

If we want to replicate this season's excellent recruitment strategy then shouldn't we be looking at some of the best, young players the C'ship has to offer?

We are an attractive, upwardly mobile club right now. I'd be going after some proven C'ship youngsters first...

I think that there are a number of young players in this league who could realistically 'level-up' if given a shot at the next tier, and personally; I think the same strategy of bringing in (or even retaining) a couple of 'been-there-and-done-it' senior pros, and pulling in a number of those kids could be the way.

We've got a fair bit of experience of Championship football in the ranks already in the shape of Korey Smith, Ayling, Cunningham, Little, JET and of course Elliot and Wilbraham, if they stay.  For me; will be worth looking to the team around the top of this league who fail to make it up, and/or those perhaps in struggling Championship teams who could compliment what we have.

Always worth remembering that Freeman was highly rated and valued, but his club were not doing too well when that was the case; some class players can end up in less than successful teams, and identifying them and getting lads with potential to achieve more is where decent scouts earn their corn.  Prefer us to aim for uncovering the next Freeman, or snatching the like of Ayling from clubs passing us than splashing out too much on established talent (plus; we need any spare coins to go towards tempting Fulham to part with big Matt Smith...).

What do people in general think the budget will be? Will we be spending a 1mill + on 1 player for example ala Trundle and Maynard?

I think we'll make 1 BIG signing. Maybe not as in profile but transfer fee. We spent a reported 750k on Agard whilst in league 1. I'm sure if the right player becomes available and is a realistic target, Lansdown will back Cotts to go out and get him. I can definitely see us having more loans next season though and I really hope it's young players from prem clubs rather than players from the same league. That Johnson of Villa is a remarkable talent and I'm sure AV will want him to make the step up to a championship team next season so I'm kind of hoping Preston bottle it and remain in league 1 because they'll probably get him again if they are promoted.

I think an enquiry for Dele Ali as to a loan move shouldn't be sniffed at. Tottenham may well think that 3-6 months with a Championship club would be the next realistic step up for the lad. 

Bradley Dack at Gillingham is a player I like, and someone who could potentially replace Wade Elliot. 

I think we'll make 1 BIG signing. Maybe not as in profile but transfer fee. We spent a reported 750k on Agard whilst in league 1. I'm sure if the right player becomes available and is a realistic target, Lansdown will back Cotts to go out and get him. I can definitely see us having more loans next season though and I really hope it's young players from prem clubs rather than players from the same league. That Johnson of Villa is a remarkable talent and I'm sure AV will want him to make the step up to a championship team next season so I'm kind of hoping Preston bottle it and remain in league 1 because they'll probably get him again if they are promoted.

He's a Preston player, they bought him for 50k in Jan!  :blink:

I think that there are a number of young players in this league who could realistically 'level-up' if given a shot at the next tier, and personally; I think the same strategy of bringing in (or even retaining) a couple of 'been-there-and-done-it' senior pros, and pulling in a number of those kids could be the way.

We've got a fair bit of experience of Championship football in the ranks already in the shape of Korey Smith, Ayling, Cunningham, Little, JET and of course Elliot and Wilbraham, if they stay.  For me; will be worth looking to the team around the top of this league who fail to make it up, and/or those perhaps in struggling Championship teams who could compliment what we have.

Always worth remembering that Freeman was highly rated and valued, but his club were not doing too well when that was the case; some class players can end up in less than successful teams, and identifying them and getting lads with potential to achieve more is where decent scouts earn their corn.  Prefer us to aim for uncovering the next Freeman, or snatching the like of Ayling from clubs passing us than splashing out too much on established talent (plus; we need any spare coins to go towards tempting Fulham to part with big Matt Smith...).

I completely agree.

Personally I would spend the majority of any money we have on a proven Championship striker like Chris Wood and then pluck the best from L1 & 2. Young cheap kids with potential like Bradley Dack, Jamie Allen, Tom Nichols, Curtis Nelson, Kyle Dempsey, Christy Pym etc. etc.

I completely agree.

Personally I would spend the majority of any money we have on a proven Championship striker like Chris Wood and then pluck the best from L1 & 2. Young cheap kids with potential like Bradley Dack, Jamie Allen, Tom Nichols, Curtis Nelson, Kyle Dempsey, Christy Pym etc. etc.

Dack has a couple of mentions in this thread, and is certainly a player I'd like to see as part of our set up - does have a mighty long contract though, so imagine he'd cost a bit.

Tom Nichols is another I think will graduate upwards soon, though might be a step too far to the Championship just now.

But there is clearly talent in the lower league, especially players with potential, that I'd hope we're looking to bring in to what is an already young and upwardly mobile team.

Not sure what's funny? Would obviously be a loan deal, as will Akpom and Johnson

Because United loaned him to the premier league this season highlighting where they want him playing, can't see him being loaned to the championship, would be a backwards step for his development, in any case I can see him leaving Old Trafford this summer.

I completely agree.

Agreed, both.

Basically we need a balance. I'd like to see a couple from the C'ship to come in (no harm inquiring and undoubtedly some will say no), or even Prem loans, and then also grab a couple of the stand-out L1 players from this term.

Because United loaned him to the premier league this season highlighting where they want him playing, can't see him being loaned to the championship, would be a backwards step for his development, in any case I can see him leaving Old Trafford this summer.

He played 3 games for Leicester.... and they sent him back early. I don't think Man United would turn their noses up to a championship team.

Archived