IGNORED

What Does "success" Mean Next Season?

ChippenhamRed

So, what would constitute a successful first season back in the Championship next year?

1. Just survival

2. Avoiding a relegation battle but a bottom half finish?

3. Mid table

4. Top half

5. Play offs

6. Promotion (again!)

The most important thing next year is to ensure this club is playing championship football (as a minimum) when the stadium redevelopment is finished. However, personally I think this team at it stands would comfortably survive in the Championship, but with a few additions could do rather well. Therefore I believe the aim should be more than just survival. For me, a mid table finish with a view to a play off push the following year would be a successful campaign.

Interested to hear what others would be happy with.

A mid table and build I would be happy with.

As much as the promotion charge was good last time... I think it was our undoing. And prolonged players 1st team picking for too long.

Lower mid to mid table for me and build a team around members of the current squad who are good enough at the next level. Who those may be I do not know. Players can really surprise you. Those who you think will be great often flop and those that have been average seem to improve greatly. Start of a new roller coaster ride me thinks.

I have a feeling that Steve L is really going to back Cotterill and help us go for it next season. This is a big chance for us... the season after next, our ground capacity is going to be 27,000. If we have a good season next year, playing decent attacking football, push for the playoffs or (dare I even say it) obtain a double promotion imagine what our crowds could be like the season after next! I think he will realise this opportunity and go for it.

Saying all that, i'd be happy with top half, crowds averaging around 15k and a feeling that we will continue to push forward in the future.

The Championship is so unpredictable and difficult to call that I'd not be surprised this time next year by either us being on the verge of the play-offs or desperately fighting for survival.  I'll be disappointed if we struggle next year and I think the minimum for me to be satisfied with the season is never being in serious threat of relegation and finishing closer to the top half than the bottom three.  

That said, I think we could do much better than that I'm also aware we've got a young and ambitious team and the closer we get to another promotion, the easier it is to convince key players to stay with us.  I'm optimistic for next year and hope we can push for the play-offs but I certainly won't be upset if it ends up being more of a consolidation year.

If this squad holds together I'm optimistic for next season. They're a resilient bunch. Much of the success of this season has been built on refusing to lose matches and snatching draws. Barnsley away comes to mind.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we were challenging for play-off places. I'd be very surprised if we were struggling. The Championship has lacked runaway winners this season and looking at the sides likely to come down it'll probably be the same next.

So I'd say that success was anything above mid-table at Chistmas and looking to push on from there.

Based on the existing squad, mid table would be a good first season back, particularly if we play the same brand of football ... anything above would be a bonus!

To get a strong foothold in the division ready for a greater capacity ground is an attractive proposition - if the Gas are still down in the Bananarama, then this is the ideal opportunity to secure even more of the new generation of fans.

COYRssssss!!!!!

Happily take mid table next year. As others have said we'll either do a Rotherham or a Brentford.

anyone know how much Wolves and Brentford spent since they went up last season?   With a few astute signings, I'd expect us to do as well as them next season - play offs must be the target surely.

Success would be top half

Expectation for me is mid-table

Hope we stay up

1st Target

- 25 points before the end of November, permission to worry if not achieved

As long as we stay up and don't go on any prolonged runs without a win, everything's kushty

There are a couple of places we haven't won at in a long time up there. And strangely, I'm looking forward to those games where it's like the Alamo and we can hold onto 1 or 3 points. No one has put us under real pressure this season like that, it's always been a shot or a goal at the most.

Reach the survival points target, then re-assess. 

I see no reason why this team - with a few quality additions - can't be pushing for a mid-table/top half finish. 

Then try and push on from there the season after and aim for top 6.

But funny things happened in 07/08 and there's no doubt this team is superior. The division is a lot tougher now though I think.

2/3 I'd say, nothing more would be a bonus.

This.

It would be a shame if we were in a dog fight. I'm a firm believer in the effect of momentum. Therefore, that, combined with the quality we do have and the good feeling around the place I don't think we'll massively struggle. Having said that we need to consolidate so a mid-table or bottom half finish without a relegation scare would be a success.

Archived