IGNORED

Steve Brooker

ChubStixx

Cracking player 'when' fit and would have been easily good enough to feature in our latest side.

Will never forget the Lita/Brooker partnership.

That aside, does anyone know what he's up to now? Wikipedia says he's playing for Buxton but I've got a feeling that's no longer the case!

Brooker aka trampoline chest. Occasionally brilliant more often than not chasing his own poor first touch... Which interestingly made him harder to mark as he was always on the move. I always thought he was massively overrated and his technique to be poor. Useful player. Not as good as some think imo.

Very interesting that the OP has brought up the issue of Steve Brooker as I've just been sorting/filing all my programmes and tickets over the last 10 years, inspired again by what's happened this season to put together my personal 'City Chronicle".

Found myself dwelling on all my fond memories of Brooker's time with us.

In my opinion Brooker was Tinnion's only truly successful signing. When he got him from Port Vale, where he ironically got the injury playing for us that put him out of football for a long time, Tinnion said it had been a long, long time since we'd had a player like him at City. He was right, a near 6 foot, 14 stone target man that could play football. brilliant. Not many of those coming at you as a defender!

When Steve Brooker came back from injury and scored against Norwich at Ashton Gate (low header towards the East and the last he scored for City?) I cried because of what he meant to me throughout all the disappointments of following City at the time. At least we still had Brooker!

Lots of memories of a great player and character: standing behind the goalie (Dean Gerkin) at Colchester and watching the crossbar vibrate for what seemed like minutes after he sent in a rocket-like strike. His goal at MKdons in the first minute that gave us a one-nil there. His ability to run across the pitch just out side the area and smash in a goal. The "wheelie bin" doins with Partridge and Orr. When I asked him at one of those end of season get togethers he was genuinely affronted when I asked if the rumours were true about him leaving.

Great bloke. I wish him well whatever he's doing

The last minute winner at Blackpool on the opening day of the season. It was August and the rain pelted down all day. When Brooker scored our fans invaded the pitch.

Yes I have some photos of that, brilliant a celebratory pitch invasion. I await a belated phone call from the FA to say the club are charged in relation to this. Blackpool in August and my trainers were so wet that I had to squeeze my socks out at the end of the match to get rid of some of the excess water.

Cracking player was Brooker. He was as hard as nails as well. Very few centre backs enjoyed playing against him. Shame about his injury problems. Without them he would probably become a true City legend.

Completely agree. I actually think if he had been fit the entire 07/08 season he would have scored the goals that would have got us automatic promotion to the Prem.

Yes I have some photos of that, brilliant a celebratory pitch invasion. I await a belated phone call from the FA to say the club are charged in relation to this. Blackpool in August and my trainers were so wet that I had to squeeze my socks out at the end of the match to get rid of some of the excess water.

My socks are still wet..

Top player.

Not the most obvious choice of memory, but for some reason I always remember him in the game before the norwich match making a substitute appearance at ninian Cardiff and instantly changing the game. I don't recall ever seeing a single substitution make such an impact.

I remember Ivan Sproule was having a compete mare. He was in the defender's back pocket. We were chasing the game 0-1 and in desperate need of something to take back with us across the bridge in our promotion kitty.

Realizing that Sproule was unwilling or unable to run - the only thing he normally could do well - GJ took the winger off and instead stuck Brooker in behind Dele to mix it up. Within minutes we had equalised. A few minutes later we thought he had scored the winner and we all went mental on the terrace only to be laughed at by the taffs when it dawned on us that it was offside as Cardiff came roaring up towards us and very nearly scored as some of our players were still celebrating.

Unfortunately Cardiff did score a few minutes later - a penalty which was initially saved - and we did end up crossing the bridge empty handed.

But I'll never forget the fear and confusion in those Cardiff players created by Brooker. He looked a class apart.

Archived