IGNORED

Adam Johnson In A Whole World Of Trouble

Rocky

Anyone feel uncomfortable discussing something before his trial and verdict?

Don't feel uncomfortable discussing what has been reported in the press and what the possible outcomes might be.  Calling him names, or assuming his guilt, or setting up an online poll as to when to march with pikes to the North East as a lynch mob, maybe more so.

Don't feel uncomfortable discussing what has been reported in the press and what the possible outcomes might be.  Calling him names, or assuming his guilt, or setting up an online poll as to when to march with pikes to the North East as a lynch mob, maybe more so.

Hmm, I agree but it is hard to discuss without forming some sort of judgement. 

I find it absolutely disgusting he is allowed to carry on playing for Sunderland.

I don't get how someone who the CPS have charged with grooming a minor and having sexual intercourse with a minor doesn't have to enter a plea for a month, will get bail, and can carry on playing professional football.

Should he be found guilty he could face 20 years in prison.

I get the innocent until proven guilty bit, but why does he have to wait 4 weeks before entering a plea. The CPS have charged him , how does he get bail ? Is a suspected Pedophile who has already apparently groomed a minor online, not a danger to the public no ?

I hope he uses his own common sense and doesn't feature in any of Sunderland's final fixtures, he will get abused to bits by fans. How he is not suspended I don't know.

I find it absolutely disgusting he is allowed to carry on playing for Sunderland.

I don't get how someone who the CPS have charged with grooming a minor and having sexual intercourse with a minor doesn't have to enter a plea for a month, will get bail, and can carry on playing professional football.

I get the innocent until proven guilty bit, but why does he have to wait 4 weeks before entering a plea. The CPS have charged him , how does he get bail ? Is a suspected Pedophile who has already apparently groomed a minor online, not a danger to the public no ?

I hope he uses his own common sense and doesn't feature in any of Sunderland's final fixtures, he will get abused to bits by fans. How he is not suspended I don't know.

100% agree, madness that he could be playing tomorrow.

you are still aloud to work, but as he's a pro footballer and will be in contact with children the FA should ban him

you are still aloud to work, but as he's a pro footballer and will be in contact with children the FA should ban him

They have cleared him to play, Sunderland have said IF HE wants to play tomorrow he can !

I don't disagree if bailed he can continue to work or anyone can, as you are not guilty, but given his charges should he really be bailed. Does he still have access to the internet at home? Reality is, he is a suspected pedophile whom has been charged with grooming and having intercourse with a minor, no one knows if he is guilty or not bar him or the girl involved, but there is nothing stopping him continue to chat to minors on line and therefore he remains a potential danger to the public and in his job, he will be near young women who are minors, he is also in a position where on a football field he is vulnerable to any nutter in the crowd who might want to show their feelings.

It is so wrong he is cleared to play, guilty or innocent. He is a possible threat to society and given his charges society is a threat to him. I hope he has the common sense to not want to play.

If he's innocent why should he be punishrd ? Until proven guilty he should be able to work.. Its a bit wrong its been dragged into the media. a lot of women cry rape these days and ruin peoples lives! People like you who hear a story and make an opinion and judgement before you have heard any facts are the closed minded people that cause these cases to be blown out of proportions and ruin reputations.

If he's guilty then yeh by law he deserves all that can be thrown at him.

A bit of a grey area to me tho..a 12 yo girl I'd say castrate the guy ..but a 15 yo girl ..she most probably tried it on with him! Most 15 yo's these days are experienced and mature and know full well what they are doing. I can't see how he would groomed her.. But hey I don't know all the facts..

If he's innocent why should he be punishrd ? Until proven guilty he should be able to work.. Its a bit wrong its been dragged into the media. a lot of women cry rape these days and ruin peoples lives! People like you who hear a story and make an opinion and judgement before you have heard any facts are the closed minded people that cause these cases to be blown out of proportions and ruin reputations.

If he's guilty then yeh by law he deserves all that can be thrown at him.

A bit of a grey area to me tho..a 12 yo girl I'd say castrate the guy ..but a 15 yo girl ..she most probably tried it on with him! Most 15 yo's these days are experienced and mature and know full well what they are doing. I can't see how he would groomed her.. But hey I don't know all the facts..

No I don't hear a story and make a judgement.

The facts are the CPS have sufficient evidence to charge him with grooming and having sexual intercourse with a minor. It has been stated he had conversed with the 15yo for months on a social network site.

Even if the girl did try it on with him, that is no excuse she is still a minor, and having sex with a minor still makes you a pedophile.

Grooming is when you have conversation with someone under the legal age of consent in a manner which tries to convince them into having sexual activity. Regardless of whether he contacted her first or she did, of even if she did fancy him , those are all facts no one knows, but the CPS who have all the evidence, had enough to bring charges against him.

Now given this grey area, let me ask you a question , would you if you had a teenage daughter feel comfortable of her maybe being a mascot for the day, being in his presence, regardless of whether the guy is guilty or not, the fact is, he has to be considered as a danger to society.

He also will be vulnerable playing and at the club. There are some weird people in the world and it wouldn't surprise me to see someone take a pop at him.

Given he has been charged, he should have been put on gardening leave for his own safety and so he doesn't interact with any children.

Sunderland do community projects, visit hospitals and schools and so on, I hope Sunderland at least have the common sense to not involve him in these activities.

You do sound a bit stupid with your argument.. Of course Sunderland arnt going to bring Adam Johnson to hospitals and charity events involving children while he's in a sexual investigation involving a minor!.

Playing football is an entirely different matter, with Sunderland close to relegation they are not going to ban one of their main players over something that hasn't been proven yet.

Which makes it even worse of a grey area if it was perhaps someone at liverpool in this situation then most probably due to peer pressure and no problems with dropping out the league he would probably be suspended..which in my opinion is wrong.

If my daughter was a mascot why would I be scared to have her near him on a football pitch in front of over 20k people?? What are you expecting him to do? Take her in the changing rooms?!

Sunderland footballer Adam Johnson faces sex charges

_82520400_adamjohnson.jpgJohnson was also charged with one offence of grooming when he answered bail at a police station earlier

He looks guilty to me......

Of being a seriously over payed average footballer.

They have cleared him to play, Sunderland have said IF HE wants to play tomorrow he can !

I don't disagree if bailed he can continue to work or anyone can, as you are not guilty, but given his charges should he really be bailed. Does he still have access to the internet at home? Reality is, he is a suspected pedophile whom has been charged with grooming and having intercourse with a minor, no one knows if he is guilty or not bar him or the girl involved, but there is nothing stopping him continue to chat to minors on line and therefore he remains a potential danger to the public and in his job, he will be near young women who are minors, he is also in a position where on a football field he is vulnerable to any nutter in the crowd who might want to show their feelings.

It is so wrong he is cleared to play, guilty or innocent. He is a possible threat to society and given his charges society is a threat to him. I hope he has the common sense to not want to play.

You make a lot of valid points and after all this is a situation which is finely balanced and ultimately will come down to someone's moral beliefs.

As you rightly state the presumption of innocence until proven guilty is sacrosanct. This isn't going to proceed quickly to trial so is it right that a presumed innocent man has to put his life and livelihood on hold for what is now an indeterminate amount of time? Is it fair to curtail someone's rights because of fears of how some individuals with mob mentality in society may act? This isn't the dark ages of the Salem witch trials and frankly I would always come down in favour of the rights of the accused than preventative action against anyone who wants to hand out mob justice. Those individuals, if an incident did occur, would be criminals nonetheless.

Re access to the internet there could very well have been conditions in respect of his bail application curtailing access so it's a hypothetical danger at this point and your fears could be unfounded.

As for should he be granted bail my personal opinion is absolutely yes but I appreciate all the reasons why someone else may believe otherwise. For me, I believe his profile supports a bail application. He isn't going to run off, if he does he isn't going to get very far and if he steps out of line no-one will miss it. You can guarantee the tabloids will be closer to him than his shadow for the foreseeable. The danger that he poses to society - especially if he has restricted access to the internet - is virtually nil. Couple that with the threat to him in prison, he is arguably better protected outside. He can afford his own private security, he will have a relatively secure house. With prison overcrowding, presumption of innocence, his ability to support himself (and protection if necessary), that this relates to offences against a single person [as far as we know] who can be protected by the police, and in light of his being monitored, I think not to grant bail would be extraordinary.

Whilst I would (almost) always come down on the rights of the accused until trial, like you, for his own mental safety and for preventative justice, I would have him on gardening leave - but I equally can empathise with the decision they (Sunderland) have taken. They simply cannot win in this situation as all courses of action have their benefits and drawbacks. I think it inappropriate to criticise them.

**EDIT**

I notice your post above in respect of his time to enter a plea. Everyone has the right to legal representation and legal advice otherwise justice will never be served. He has to know in full the potential ramifications and he has to be given time to assess his position. Equally his legal team will require time to understand the charge and the circumstances in order to appropriately advise him of the potential ramifications and options open to him. They will also advise him as to the consequences of his decision in respect of the plea.

This is all a part of a right to a fair trial and is absolutely reasonable and 100% justifiable. It is not special treatment.

A high profile footballer, native to the north-east and, I am sure, hero worshipped not just by young boys (for genuine football reasons), but also by young girls/women - possibly for football reasons alone, but also because he is a 'tall, handsome, wealthy young man'. 

Notwithstanding the fact he is in a stable relationship with the mother of his young child (and, thus, should not be flirting with young girls/women) just imagine if, in a moment of weakness, he got involved in an on-line relationship with said young girl/woman, only to discover too late that she was a lot younger than he thought, i.e. 15.

A high profile footballer, native to the north-east and, I am sure, hero worshipped not just by young boys (for genuine football reasons), but also by young girls/women - possibly for football reasons alone, but also because he is a 'tall, handsome, wealthy young man'.

Notwithstanding the fact he is in a stable relationship with the mother of his young child (and, thus, should not be flirting with young girls/women) just imagine if, in a moment of weakness, he got involved in an on-line relationship with said young girl/woman, only to discover too late that she was a lot younger than he thought, i.e. 15.

Mitigation, some may think forgivable (before I get lynched I say some, not necessarily myself..!) but no defence. The law is stacked to favour the vulnerable. True story, one of my pals when we were younger and living together met a girl in a club and as they left together and he saw her in the light he was concerned enough he actually insisted on ID. Turned out she was of age but amusing and commendable in equal amounts I think.

I didn't ask if she got 'served'.

How do you know he's in a stable relationship

Because his girlfriend looks like a horse?

No seriously, I recall reading an article recently where (I believe) his parents were saying it was great he was back home, in a small village and away from the lights with his girlfriend and their young child - all would be fine from now on.

An awful situation for all, and I mean all, involved, but let's not prejudge.

The CPS are under intense pressure to prosecute however flimsy the evidence.

A friend of mine was forced to leave Bristol after being the victim of false accusations of attempted rape. It turned out that this was the third time the woman had made such false accusations and withdrawn them at the last minute. She got off scot-free, my friend had to build a new life elsewhere.

Despite what the Feminists might tell you, accusation is not proof, prosecution is not guilt.

The CPS are under intense pressure to prosecute however flimsy the evidence.

A friend of mine was forced to leave Bristol after being the victim of false accusations of attempted rape. It turned out that this was the third time the woman had made such false accusations and withdrawn them at the last minute. She got off scot-free, my friend had to build a new life elsewhere.

Despite what the Feminists might tell you, accusation is not proof, prosecution is not guilt.

Aizoon it's very unfortunate what happened to your pal - unfortunate isn't even appropriate it's effing disgusting and he has my utmost sympathy and empathy - but it speaks higher volumes of the woman than women and whilst skepticism and healthy investigation is good, I think that is an exceptional incident and shouldn't cloud judgment carte blanche - although I'm sure I've no need to tell you that!!

Unfortunately the police and the CPS have a rough ride and a thankless job - both do have my respect and empathy.

I sincerely hope that the woman involved was either prosecuted or subject to mental health assessment.

What your enlightenment does lead me to wonder - and I do not know the answer: I will find out but if anyone knows in the meantime I'd be grateful if only for my own education - does the CPS have sight of previous accusations or, much like in criminal prosecutions, is an incident and a report judged on individual merit without recourse to information which may cloud judgement? I can't settle in my mind yet what I feel would be best.

Always felt sorry for Phil Brown when the scandal came out on a Premiership manager who was caught in a sex brothel.

Nobody knew who it was at the time but Phil Brown was far and away the choice of people.

The reason?

"He looks like the sort of bloke who would"

Always felt sorry for Phil Brown when the scandal came out on a Premier League manager who was caught in a sex brothel.

Nobody knew who it was at the time but Phil Brown was far and away the choice of people.

The reason?

"He looks like the sort of bloke who would"

Bit closer to home a certain Mr Jefferies

Archived