IGNORED

Double Promotion - Its Going To Happen

Jesus

Am I the only one who genuinely believes this is a big possibility? I have been supporting Bristol City for 26 years, and I can't think of a team that has excited me more.  When I look around at the top 2 leagues, it is littered with teams who have achieved back to back promotions.  I honestly believe we can do this.  With a new stadium being built, a fantastic young team and a winning manager, I can see us playing in the Premier League come the 2016/2017 season. 

There, I said it.........

I would like to hold fire on committing any cash to the bookies, until after I know who or how the squad will alter.

I forecast end of last July on Not606 that we would finish as champions so providing we get good recruitment, it will be worth a punt.

Very tough league though. Probably the toughest league in the world. With two up, four play off places and three relegated, life should be interesting to say the least.

There are some very , very good teams in there. Add to that teams coming down with parachute payments.

We've just won the 3rd Div, let's not get carried away just yet.

Agreed, but something has to be said about team spirit and a winning mentality.  We really are on a crest of a wave....

Another South African tour anyone?

Dear oh dear, talk about running before we can walk.

Let's make sure we stay up, eh?

I think we're walking just fine!!!! Dare to dream my friend, dare to dream.  That's what's wrong with this City, too much pessimism.

How long as it taken B'muff to become a force in the Champioship?

I see them as a club who are well run with a strong squad and excellent manager. I see City in a similar way.

If they do reach the PL it'll be fascinating to see how they do.

The three that got promoted to the PL last season are all struggling....

With the way the team has performed this season, Steve Cotterill's (& Lansdown's) ambition and the momentum they should have it could well be that they have a very good chance of doing it next season.

Although they would most likely be relegated after a single season the money would clear any debts and finance the club on its current footing for a few more seasons. The important thing would be to stick to the plan of developing gradually and not get carried away.

Badger old bean - please be careful with the title of your threads. When I read it I thought that some loon was suggesting the double promotion involved City and that non league team both getting promoted. Good job I was sitting down when I read it.

Playoffs aren't unrealistic, I predict us to come about 8th which seems to be at the optimistic end of most people's predictions. I'd be very surprised if we somehow got top 2, there's so much money in that league and lots of teams that have underperformed this year.

It's not pessimism badger, it's realism! The fact is next year is going to be a real challenge!

Am I the only one who genuinely believes this is a big possibility? I have been supporting Bristol City for 26 years, and I can't think of a team that has excited me more.  When I look around at the top 2 leagues, it is littered with teams who have achieved back to back promotions.  I honestly believe we can do this.  With a new stadium being built, a fantastic young team and a winning manager, I can see us playing in the Premier League come the 2016/2017 season. 

I agree this is a big possibility. New 27000 capacity stadium which will be as good as a lot of teams in the PL.

Sensible management and financial backing. We bought well in league one and SC has already said (a while ago)

that promotion this term would mean us needing to buy again. Sure that was something that was discussed between

him and SL when he was appointed. Luck is the other thing. Need loads of that.

One thing I remember very well when AD took us up into the old 1st Div. His words were along the lines of,  It's ok to support us in the good times

but we need support in the not so good times.

17 points out of 30 against the next 5 strongest teams in league 1 would suggest we have some fairly major squad strengthening to do if we are to mount a serious challenge in the Championship.  

not really 96 points shows we have a pretty strong squad,

we could have 30/30 over the top 5 and get relegated

With the stadium redevelopment completed for the start of the 2016/17 season you'd have to say promotion next season to the Prem would be absolutely PERFECT timing...

I don't think we'll have as good a first season as we did under GJ up there, but play-offs should definitely be an aim. The team spirit alone of this current team will take us far...

Dreaming of another magnificent season but don't want to set expectations too high and then see fans calling for the managers' head when we aren't in the play-off positions come Christmas. We have a fantastic bunch of lads in city shirts at the moment, a bit more well thought out recruitment in the summer (no players with big ego's or wage demands pls!) and think we can be more than competitive next season. Play offs would be a great achievement but would be happy with a solid season that we can then build on for a proper promotion push 2016/17. Think we could well sneak into the play-offs though and surprise a lot of people

17 points out of 30 against the next 5 strongest teams in league 1 would suggest we have some fairly major squad strengthening to do if we are to mount a serious challenge in the Championship.  

I did think that but there are a couple of factors to consider:

1. The team has grown a lot over the season. At the start of the season there were 7 new players to integrate and the rest of the team was still the one that was so hopeless last year. They've become much better at managing games and retaining the ball as the season has gone on, so early season results would not necessarily be the same if they were played again now (although having said that, our early season games actually saw wins against Sheffield Utd and Chesterfield. Nevertheless I'd expect better performances if those games were played now.)

2. The Swindon and Preston games in the Autumn were both affected by the Wade Elliot sending off. Those 2 defeats can both in some way be put down to that one poor decision. Again, I'd be confident that the team would manage that situation much better now than they were able to then.

I'm generally very pessimistic when it comes to City...but like you I genuinely believe we could have a chance of Promotion next season.

So many teams who go up, do well.

We have the momentum, a good bunch of lads, team spirit, a will to win, battling qualities.

With some good recruitment to add to what we have, I can't see why we couldn't go one better than GJ's contenders, as I feel this bunch of lads are far superior and should in theory get better.

I'm totally with you on this one Badger

We need to increase the size of our squad.  Only being able to name five substitutes on Saturday is worrying indeed.  If Cotts doesn't think any of the younger players are good enough to step up, and given the doubts about Burns and, especially, Read, then I think we will only compete in the Championship with a major injection of personnel.  If Osborne and El-Abd were to leave, as seems likely, then even with Burns and Read we would have a first team squad of only 19, including an untried goalkeeper.  If JET goes too, then we are looking very thin on the ground.  I wish we had a striker with the record of Brett Pitman to bring off the subs bench!

Archived