IGNORED

The Toughest Championship Ever?

JM91

Just for the record I was just pointing it out that there are some big clubs there, as for players I genuinely think (provided we keep the core together) we will be promoted again next season, although only to find out how truly boring the Premier League is

Size matters.....or does it?

That's why everyones lovin' Bournemouth right now, ...... It ain't the stadium or the history that kicks the balls ....

A good solid squad, manager and players, a decent club and board and loyal nucleous of fans, get the mix right, and it don't matter how much money someone else throws at names or how many tickets they sell they'll have a tough task to beat a 'smaller' club who have got the ingredient's right.

Bodes well for us then, cos we got the mix, and we ain't that small either! ... COYR's ... (& we'll be welcoming a tough Championship - need the experience in preparation for the subsequent assault on the Premiership) .... Good Luck Bournemouth, hopefully we won't be far behind ya!

Some big clubs will be in there like Derby (now 0-2 down), Notts Forest, Birmingham, Wolves, Leeds, with  Norwich, Ipswich, Middlesbrough, Villa, Sunderland possible. So a tad different to League 1...

But I'm sure the club and players will be looking forward to the challenge rather than concerned about the opposition.

Nothing to fear.

[/ We are a strong and hardbeaten team.

Not one poor team in the bunch and dare I say it we would probably be considered the smallest of them. 

You are having a laugh.  We should easily slot in mid-table with minimal recruitment, strong top half with good recruitment.

And I would say there will be some poor teams in that lot.

I think Bournemouth have proved what can be done in the Championship. We have the right chairman and I fear nobody in the Championship. I think It is all about attitude and management. We have our fair share of master tacticians on here who will doubtless point us in the right direction but YES it will be harder  YES it will be different, but give the team some room and I think we will surprise a few.

I love reading all these super confident fans.

Probably the same ones who moaned when we appointed Cotterill and who'll be griping if we scrape a draw at home to Brum or Huddersfield next winter.

Fact is Rotherham, Brentford and MK Dons are the only clubs smaller than us next season and if Sheff U win the playoffs that's how it will stay.

However that doesn't mean we'll finish in the bottom four but those who are talking about a playoff charge next year?

Deluded.

Just got to echo what others have said about Bournemouth and Brentford. Surely their success should be inspiring to any 'smaller' clubs and a lesson to the 'big boys' that 'little'uns' shouldn't be underestimated.

I don't fear anyone...in fact I can't wait!

Probably the same ones who moaned when we appointed Cotterill and who'll be griping if we scrape a draw at home to Brum or Huddersfield next winter.

Fact is Rotherham, Brentford and MK Dons are the only clubs smaller than us next season and if Sheff U win the playoffs that's how it will stay.

However that doesn't mean we'll finish in the bottom four but those who are talking about a playoff charge next year?

Deluded.

What makes a club "smaller"?

I don't know why Huddersfield, Wigan, Charlton, Cardiff or Burnley are any bigger than us.  QPR should be in a right mess assuming they come down and the FL don't bottle it and Fulham will need to change their manager before they mount a serious challenge.

Of course it will be the toughest for a while, we'll be back! (Ok maybe I'm a little too excited today)

Yes it will be tough, the gap between the haves and have nots in football is growing all the time and there are clubs with parachute payments to contend with.  But I do think we will be ok and I think MKD will be too, better than whoever comes up through the play offs. Swindon or Chesterfield would struggle, Preston and Sheff U have too much to do with their squads and Clough is a "slow & steady" manager.

I don't know why Huddersfield, Wigan, Charlton, Cardiff or Burnley are any bigger than us. QPR should be in a right mess assuming they come down and the FL don't bottle it and Fulham will need to change their manager before they mount a serious challenge.

Exactly, sorry but Graham C is talking bull. We have massive momentum and with the history of clubs using this foward momentum and confidence I think you will find many in the Championship will be fearing us..

I don't know why Huddersfield, Wigan, Charlton, Cardiff or Burnley are any bigger than us.  QPR should be in a right mess assuming they come down and the FL don't bottle it and Fulham will need to change their manager before they mount a serious challenge.

Prem parachute payments are the reason for half those sides.

I wouldn't worry about Wigan, they're playing Colchester next season, not us.

• Admin

Deluded.

Why deluded Graham?

The 2 sides who were automatically promoted from League 1 last season finished 5th & 7th.

Deluded.

I don't get the deluded bit? Can you honestly say that you have seen a better City squad than this one? I've watched Bournemouth a fair few times this season, and the similarities in our playing style is scary.  So why can't we go on and compete in the top 6 of the championship? Lets be honest, we have steamrolled this league, so if we can keep the nucleus to the squad together, we're more than capable of reaching the top 6 next season. 

I don't get the deluded bit? Can you honestly say that you have seen a better City squad than this one? I've watched Bournemouth a fair few times this season, and the similarities in our playing style is scary.  So why can't we go on and compete in the top 6 of the championship? Lets be honest, we have steamrolled this league, so if we can keep the nucleus to the squad together, we're more than capable of reaching the top 6 next season. 

If Cotts/Burt can make three maybe four close season signings in our weaker areas that are relatively speaking as as good as this seasons, then there is no reason why we can't be in the mix at the end of next season. We might be gambling a bit signing players before they are proven to keep wage demands within budget. Anyway at least we can be confident those in charge know exactly what they're doing and will make the most of our potential.

I'm scared and excited for next season. But mostly excited.

• Admin

Bear in mind also that for much of this season whilst we were still involved in the cup runs with all the Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday games, City were very much in cruise-control, doing enough to get through matches without exerting more effort than was required. It seems to me that once the JPT was out of the way and our schedule eased we looked to turn the screw on teams after going 2 goals clear which we didn't really do until that point.

We are actually a better team than our final League record shows in my opinion.

Archived