IGNORED

Retained List (Merged)

QA22

He was hardly banging in goals in the Championship with Ipswich when we picked him up, and whether he does so elsewhere in the second tier now depends on finding a club whose manager "gets" him and whose system can accommodate him.

I agree. If only SoD had a club!

But as I said elsewhere he won't be short on offers, he's the right player for a club with a couple of established strikers and has room for a bit of luxury and a gamble. You just don't know which a Jet will turn up to games.

We don't have a flurry of strikers and need to get at least 2 and bed them in. Also I think a Cotterill expects and demands a lot from his players regarding fitness, lifestyle etc. although Cotterill states he has never had bother from Jet he also states he needs to play to be fit or he is just back to square one. I don't think Cotterill was prepared to be working with this type of issue anymore.

Its not so much about who we release but more about who we replace them with. Keeping players too long for sentimental reasons has been our Achilles heel in the past. Jet, for all his skill, has only been a bit part player this season. We will move on to bigger and better things with this management team in place. SL was right. We shouldn't fall in love with individual players. Its a team game and there is no "I" in team.

There are very few players who can be at full fitness whilst sitting on the bench. Goalscorers also need a run of games before they get their sharpness in front of goal. However in the games JET has come on, he has threatened the goal. 

We need goalscorers, JET is a natural goalscorer and yet we seem to be letting him out the door.

I don't quite understand this move by Cotterill, however he has earned my trust so I will go along with it. 

Well, think many saw it coming, but still a gut punch - not often a player who has scored 10+ goals and assisted another bunch in a team that won two trophies gets allowed to walk.

Good luck to him; feel he'll look back at his two years here and see it as the turning point in his career, and I'm probably alone in this, but think he'll be the next Bolasie - if he goes to someone like Brum or MK and given licence to play, he'll do very well (and think that with Robinson gushing about him at least once this season, imagine he'll be on the phone to JET right now).

Elliot; never saw him getting another playing deal, but would love for him to remain involved with the club. Perhaps a season at Exeter or something, with the door still open for a return in some form would be ideal?

Richards; good luck to him, but think we all knew we needed a more competitive number two, and an untried youngster would never likely unseat Frankie. Am watching Southend's playoff progress with interest; if they stay down, we surely must be aware of Bentley, and I'd love to bring him in.

Pack; no brainer - better player than when he signed and crucial as part of this system. He's kept out Elliot, and been part of a 15 game unbeaten run - glad he's staying (if he signs, of course...).

Excited for what comes next recruitment-wise; no idea who we'll get, but trust in the manager and Burt to find some gems. Onwards and upwards.

Matt Smith seems happy to stay at Fulham

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/may/05/matt-smith

Baldock, JET recent days,

Wouldn't read too deep into it ;)

One thing for sure - Cotts won't go for him just because he's a good lad and we know him

He will , and has been ruthless, which may cause some pain at times for us fans as we see favourites go but is ultimately, if you get those decisions right, the route to success

I can 100% guarantee you that we don't!

like last season?

Jet Good player but he was a bit part player in a league one team he prob wouldn't get into the match day squad if he stayed next season,

Bigger players have left this club and we've got on just fine

I don't know but we seemed to have a hell of a lot of him coming on for a handful of minutes and even into stoppage time. I was beginning to wonder if we had to pay him a huge fee if we didn't play him at times!

Did he possibly have a clause in his contract that he would have to feature in every game? Sure I may have heard something about that when he signed.

Pack won't be going anywhere, be hugely surprised if he does.

El-Bad won't have his contract bought out either, he'll be made available for transfer....probably for nothing.

JET unfortunately will go.

Would understand if Wade left, just depends how long he wants to prolong his playing career.

But if he's not asked for a transfer upon him signing for someone else we will have to pay up the remainder of his contract or pay the difference between what he earns here and what he will earn at his new club.

What a ridiculous statement :o :o

Why?

Name me a better player, that we can afford.

And by the way, I would have thought that someone with your username would recognise the folly of getting rid of your best players. What did he get in his first season with West Brom....36 was it?  But I guess we must have replaced him with someone better...................................

Why?

And by the way, I would have thought that someone with your username would recognise the folly of getting rid of your best players. What did he get in his first season with West Brom....36 was it?  But I guess we must have replaced him with someone better...................................

Was going to try and explain your statement to you '%100 guarantee' etc

But if I need to ..... Seems little point

Totally agree about my namesake - Jimmy Lumsden said he 'wouldn't score goals in the Championship, Div One or whatever it was back then

Doesn't make your %100 guarantee any less ridiculous I'm afraid

Perhaps somebody will try and explain it for you

Btw

How do you know 'who we can afford'

I don't know ,that's for sure and nor does anyone on here unless there's a board member or club accountant knocking around

Do I get this right - you have no faith in SL / SC / SL on the evidence of last 18 months ????????

Blimey

I have a sneaking feeling looking at SL over the last few days that he will be busting to provide what SC / KB wants

Why?

As far as JET is concerned the man who has changed our fortunes around in 12 months, has done what he is paid to do to make an obviously tough decision which he believes to be in the best interests of the club.

Over the years we've had hordes of players leave and the phrase's 'this will haunt us/bite us on the arse' have been bandied about and I can't think of one that actually has since Brian Clark circa.1968.

i'll start the ball rolling David Noble and Nicky Carle, 

Why?

I'd argue that Freeman, signed last summer, was a better signing that JET.

Therefore what's to stop us doing the same this time around?

Why?

And by the way, I would have thought that someone with your username would recognise the folly of getting rid of your best players. What did he get in his first season with West Brom....36 was it? But I guess we must have replaced him with someone better...................................

I find it scary that you use super Bob as a comparison to JET...but anyway...

Was talking about JET leaving with the old man earlier, very sad to see him go but here's the thing, you cannot judge him solely by his performances this season. He has been a fringe player who when on the field has had something to prove. SC hinted that he was weeks behind other players at the start of the season as he came back unfit (red flag right there). Instead look at his performances last year when he started most weeks, he shows up for say 60% of the games and the other 40% he is missing in a big way. When he does turn up he has great ability...too much for L1.

Now, heading into the Championship if he only turns up say 60% of the time again, when he does he isn't going to find it so easy as the step up in quality in the division prevents that. So the overall JET effect if you will is greatly dilluted.

This is what SC probably considered, that and JET may well have been knocking on the door wanting more 1st team chances. Losing JET is sad, but lets be honest, ask any Ipswich fan if they would have him back right now.

For the record I'm sad he's going, would have loved him in the squad again but totally understand the move. As for the comment about replacing him, considering he came to the club a midfielder or a false 9, I'd say we did in signing Luke Freeman...but thats a whole other debate.

Btw

How do you know 'who we can afford'

I don't know ,that's for sure and nor does anyone on here unless there's a board member or club accountant knocking around

Do I get this right - you have no faith in SL / SC / SL on the evidence of last 18 months ????????

Blimey

I have a sneaking feeling looking at SL over the last few days that he will be busting to provide what SC / KB wants

Because IMO JET is the most talented player outside of the Premier League. To replace with "better" is realistically beyond the reach of a small club such as Bristol City.

Yes I have faith in Cotts based on his success over the last 18 months, particularly with his transfer dealings as last summer's recruitment was superb. But that doesn't mean I think he walks on water and can do no wrong.

It's pretty clear that Cotts has never really wanted JET, and if his contract had expired this time last year he would have gone then. Given how vital JET was when Wilbs and Agard were out injured I'm glad that didn't happen!

Archived