IGNORED

Ian Holloway: Bristol Rovers And Bristol City 'need Each Other

iamalagerdrinker

To say Bristol City need Bristol Rovers is seriously OTT but aside from that I didn't hear anything to disagree with. As an ex-player at Rovers in better times for them, he has every right to be pleased for the club that gave him his career. I am happy that both teams have contributed to raising the standard of football on both sides of the city and would be even more delighted if Bristol RFC get promoted to the Premier league in their game

I must come from a different planet , i was born a red and will die a red , i can't understand any true city fan who would piss on the rovers if they were on fire , i hate them with a passion , the only pleasure they have given me was when i parked up on the M32 watching their stand burn down ! And i believe any true rovers fan would feel the same way about us .

They have always needed us. We are a club they want to aspire to, whilst catching hold of our shirt tails. Someone described them as a leach, that is so uncannily accurate, trying to suck our bloodlife at every opportunity. At every step of the way along our plans for a decent stadium, starting at AV, they have done their damdest to delay or scupper our plans, for fear we'd be too far away for them to ever catch up. We need them like a hole in the head.

Their recent success reminds me of a drowning sailor, coming up for one last breath before dropping into Davy Jones locker.

Let them enjoy that last salty breath of air.

I must come from a different planet , i was born a red and will die a red , i can't understand any true city fan who would piss on the rovers if they were on fire , i hate them with a passion , the only pleasure they have given me was when i parked up on the M32 watching their stand burn down ! And i believe any true rovers fan would feel the same way about us .

I'm one of those that doesn't see the need for the hatred. It's a bit pathetic.

They're local rivals, but as long as we're looking down on them, I'm OK with them being relatively successful - bragging rights are all that matter. On the whole I'd like the city (and region) to have a better sporting profile - presently the South West is for also-rans and that's a tad embarrassing. So, while I don't like rugby, I'm pleased with Exeter's success, As for football, I want City to be in the Prem and the other south west teams to do better than they are.

The only good thing about them being back in the league is that the chance for us to play them and totally embarrass them on and off the pitch is one step closer. I absolutely loved the JPT game, not just because we beat them but the 2 quality goals we scored and the intense atmosphere that a true derby brings. Forget Swindon and Cardiff, that night was pure local rivalry

• Admin

I'm sorry but why are players fair game nowadays? 

We constantly hear that the "honour" of fighting at football is that it is only conducted between like minded individuals and innocents are not attacked.

I, as a "scarfer", have been attacked on a couple of occasions around the country (Burnley & Swindon) & now in recent weeks we have Gas attacking our Futsal players & City running Gas players out of a waterfront pub.

It's clearly bullshit. Some may live by that mantra but it's clear many don't.

No, not a different planet, a different time. I was born pink. My dad was a red and introduced me to Ashton gate when I was 12 (62 years ago by the way) and I have followed them ever since and supported them whenever and wherever I could since then. Back in the day, there was fierce rivalry, but not the hatred and hooliganism (from both sides) that I see today. Players were transferred between the two clubs (Bob Anderson, Milton etc) and were made welcome, not spat at. In cities where there are 2 or more successful clubs (Liverpool, Manchester, West Midlands, London), the relative success of one does no harm to the rest, it raises the profile of the area. It's not a zero sum game. The demise of one does not benefit the other either (think Bradford (PA); Bradford City- Tranmere Rovers;Liverpool/Everton). Think a bit more, hate a bit less and grow up. 

No, not a different planet, a different time. I was born pink. My dad was a red and introduced me to Ashton gate when I was 12 (62 years ago by the way) and I have followed them ever since and supported them whenever and wherever I could since then. Back in the day, there was fierce rivalry, but not the hatred and hooliganism (from both sides) that I see today. Players were transferred between the two clubs (Bob Anderson, Milton etc) and were made welcome, not spat at. In cities where there are 2 or more successful clubs (Liverpool, Manchester, West Midlands, London), the relative success of one does no harm to the rest, it raises the profile of the area. It's not a zero sum game. The demise of one does not benefit the other either (think Bradford (PA); Bradford City- Tranmere Rovers;Liverpool/Everton). Think a bit more, hate a bit less and grow up. 

I was trying to pen it better but i couldn't. 

Well said to be honest. My 'hate' has also diminished over the years, probably because Rovers have diminished over those years, being currently nowhere near on an equal footing with us as they used to be. I happen to disgree with Holloway's statement that both clubs need each other. We do not 'need' Rovers. Nor do I believe that Bristol needs two clubs. But personally speaking, tho this may disagree with many, I think Bristol is better off having both. I like the fact that we're a two-club city. There really aren't that many. It's a fairly exclusive club. I want to stay a member. And wheras always, always, obviously, I want city to be bigger and better than our north Bristol counterparts, I enjoy the thrill of the occasional inter-bristol tussel.

Football is really all about the intense emotional highs and lows. I've experienced every possible point on that emotional spectrum supporting city over the last 30+ years. There is nothing, nothing at all, that comes even close, to the emotional high (because of the inherent threat of the potential emotional low) that the Bristol derby supplies. I remember Louie Donowa. I remember a period, just a short period of seconds, maybe as much as a minute, where the entire easteast, and all of AG, was propelled to a state of near nirvana, in 1991, by Louie Donowa against the gas. That's football at its greatest emotional crescendo. That's the Bristol derby, and what I really miss.

Some want the gas to die and fade from existence. I'll risk being flamed for saying so, but not me. I don't say we need Rovers as Holloway claims at all, but personally, I do want them - I want that enemy for the emotional high that beating them provides.

No, not a different planet, a different time. I was born pink. My dad was a red and introduced me to Ashton gate when I was 12 (62 years ago by the way) and I have followed them ever since and supported them whenever and wherever I could since then. Back in the day, there was fierce rivalry, but not the hatred and hooliganism (from both sides) that I see today. Players were transferred between the two clubs (Bob Anderson, Milton etc) and were made welcome, not spat at. In cities where there are 2 or more successful clubs (Liverpool, Manchester, West Midlands, London), the relative success of one does no harm to the rest, it raises the profile of the area. It's not a zero sum game. The demise of one does not benefit the other either (think Bradford (PA); Bradford City- Tranmere Rovers;Liverpool/Everton). Think a bit more, hate a bit less and grow up.

Fair play you've hand picked a good exception there in Liverpool/Everton but by and large City rivals up and down the Country show just as much vitriol towards each other as us and the sags show eachother.. Dont really see understand what people with your mindsight are suggesting to be honest, us and Them get along and wish eachother all the best? Nah rivarly and venom towards your rivals is what football is all about IMO

Fair play you've hand picked a good exception there in Liverpool/Everton but by and large City rivals up and down the Country show just as much vitriol towards each other as us and the sags show eachother.. Dont really see understand what people with your mindsight are suggesting to be honest, us and Them get along and wish eachother all the best? Nah rivarly and venom towards your rivals is what football is all about IMO

What I'm suggesting is that we take some of the poison, some of the hatred and some of the violence out of the rivalry. I'm also saying that when the Rovers are rubbish, it doesn't make City a better team. Of course, should they play each other again, I want City to tank them 12-0 if possible. However, I see no reason to wish Rovers to go out of business. I see no reason why Holloway should not rejoice at the limited success that Rovers have had by digging themselves out of the hole that is the Vanarama Conference. I also agree with the guy earlier in this thread who pointed out that the success of Exeter Chiefs RFC has improved the sporting image of that city even though it is has not, as yet, had any direct impact on Exeter City FC. The Rugby World Cup will be played in that city in the autumn of 2015. Let's see a triple promotion in Bristol this year and let's see Bristol RFC in their Premier league. I promise you, it would do Bristol City FC no harm at all.

As I've said before, I think this town aint big enough for the both of us. 100 years of mediocrity from both clubs (bar a couple of seasons in the top flight) can't all be laid at the door of recent 'hatred' between the fans.

I don't think we need them for us to be successful, I think we need an owner with ambition and deep pockets. Luckily we have that owner so if we don't reach the Prem in the next 10 years I don't know when we'll do it.

I'm one of those that doesn't see the need for the hatred. It's a bit pathetic.

They're local rivals, but as long as we're looking down on them, I'm OK with them being relatively successful - bragging rights are all that matter. On the whole I'd like the city (and region) to have a better sporting profile - presently the South West is for also-rans and that's a tad embarrassing. So, while I don't like rugby, I'm pleased with Exeter's success, As for football, I want City to be in the Prem and the other south west teams to do better than they are.

They hate us more than we hate them,

I don't particularly care for them but, having Rovers around is holding our city back.

"82ers", HollowHead "the tax payer should fund our new stadium", we and Bristol City should share.

**** off.

Well said to be honest. My 'hate' has also diminished over the years, probably because Rovers have diminished over those years, being currently nowhere near on an equal footing with us as they used to be. I happen to disgree with Holloway's statement that both clubs need each other. We do not 'need' Rovers. Nor do I believe that Bristol needs two clubs. But personally speaking, tho this may disagree with many, I think Bristol is better off having both. I like the fact that we're a two-club city. There really aren't that many. It's a fairly exclusive club. I want to stay a member. And wheras always, always, obviously, I want city to be bigger and better than our north Bristol counterparts, I enjoy the thrill of the occasional inter-bristol tussel.

Football is really all about the intense emotional highs and lows. I've experienced every possible point on that emotional spectrum supporting city over the last 30+ years. There is nothing, nothing at all, that comes even close, to the emotional high (because of the inherent threat of the potential emotional low) that the Bristol derby supplies. I remember Louie Donowa. I remember a period, just a short period of seconds, maybe as much as a minute, where the entire easteast, and all of AG, was propelled to a state of near nirvana, in 1991, by Louie Donowa against the gas. That's football at its greatest emotional crescendo. That's the Bristol derby, and what I really miss.

Some want the gas to die and fade from existence. I'll risk being flamed for saying so, but not me. I don't say we need Rovers as Holloway claims at all, but personally, I do want them - I want that enemy for the emotional high that beating them provides.

Good post

Hatred is the wrong word, I dislike them, but have many friends who have slipped to the blue side. I love the banter, much better than talking about Liverpool and United with other friends, when I couldn't give a **** who has beaten who

As I've said before, if R*vers weren't there we'd have to invent them. Everyone needs a local rival, one that stirs the blood, that you want to see badly so you have one over on your mates. We don't NEED R*vers, but it's fun having them around, because they've given us a lot of laughs lately. And if they weren't there, then that Donowa moment wouldn't have happened, and that is the best moment in my 25 years of watching City

I like to see us beat the Gas like any other City fan...but I've never felt hatred towards them.

All football Clubs have idiots that support them, including ourselves...it's 'idiots' I detest...not a whole group of supporters.

I actually admire the normal fans of the Gas who have supported them in the Conference.

I'd rather see fans like that in Bristol....than the masses who 'follow' the top teams in the Premiership, sitting in pubs with their polyester replicas on.

All for a bit of banter and a laugh with fellow Gas fans...

Would much rather have both Clubs in the Championship tbh.

How I see it....

Schadenfreude.... is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.This word is taken from German and literally means "harm-joy". It is the feeling of joy or pleasure when one sees another fail or suffer misfortune. It is also borrowed by some other languages. An English term of similar meaning (but with no noun equivalent) is "to gloat"; which means to feel, or express, great, often malicious, pleasure, or self-satisfaction, at one's own success, or at another's failure.

Researchers have found that people with low self-esteem are more likely to feel schadenfreude than are people who have high self-esteem.

The idea that when people around us have bad luck, we look better to ourselves.

After the season we've had....the best in decades... I still can't believe how many feel it necessary to wallow in the Gas' predicament.

That say's a lot about some fans....

Why so many City fans have to constantly talk about the Gas is beyond me...it only makes them look like they actually care...totally weird in my eyes.

I like to see us beat the Gas like any other City fan...but I've never felt hatred towards them.

All football Clubs have idiots that support them, including ourselves...it's 'idiots' I detest...not a whole group of supporters.

Hey, good or you.

Personally I love the tribalism of football, that includes 'schadenfreude' when it involves certain clubs.

I take it I'm an idiot Spudski?

Archived