IGNORED

Swindon Struggling

You think 10k of our fans went to Wembley by train..?!

Not far short of 10,000 .

4 Trains an hour from Temple Meads , and the same going from Parkway over the course of 3 to 4 hours , each train with 500 passengers on board .

You can shift 1000's by train when they get their act together.

All those moaning they can't get to a playoff final, the very thing except for auto promotion you play the whole season for, at 6pm on a Bank holiday weekend are strange. If it's kids that are the excuse, it's bank holiday and many will have half term the following week, they haven't got to get for school. If they are that tired they will sleep where ever on the way home.

What about night matches in general, I bet many would travel to London for a 7.45 KO on a week day (we ALWAYS have to) so where's the difference...and the playoff is the important match. Also what if these teams made it to the Prem? How many 3pm KO's do you get then!

All those moaning they can't get to a playoff final, the very thing except for auto promotion you play the whole season for, at 6pm on a Bank holiday weekend are strange. If it's kids that are the excuse, it's bank holiday and many will have half term the following week, they haven't got to get for school. If they are that tired they will sleep where ever on the way home.

What about night matches in general, I bet many would travel to London for a 7.45 KO on a week day (we ALWAYS have to) so where's the difference...and the playoff is the important match. Also what if these teams made it to the Prem? How many 3pm KO's do you get then!

I understand re kids, but that's what some have used as an excuse. However if you think those that travel to Southern away games mid week are going to be missing this, you are an idiot. Answering your question, the difference is that normally for southern midweek away games we might take 500, this time 40-50 that many are going.

I understand re kids, but that's what some have used as an excuse. However if you think those that travel to Southern away games mid week are going to be missing this, you are an idiot. Answering your question, the difference is that normally for southern midweek away games we might take 500, this time 40-50 that many are going.

Well that's one way to get on the good side of a forum Moderator! :facepalm:

It might be...if only I understood it.

Anyway, what do I care really, WE ARE UP AS CHAMPIONS!

You made it sound like we take more to a midweek London game than we are to the play off final, I was simply questioning that.

Anyway, I'll let you get back to obsessing over Swindon.

Reading the report on Swindon Rag....They had to return all unsold tickets to the FA Wednesday 08:00am

Swindon had sold 21,000 ....Preston about the same but Prestons were still on sale today!!!

The match is this weekend if I am not mistaken? 

If both clubs sell little more than 21,000 each then, frankly, that is a tragedy.

I am very surprised with the measly figure by Preston.

Says the Swindon fan on a City forum......

I'm Preston... Came on here after reading their forum, which mentioned that you were all laughing at ticket sales for Sunday. Thought I'd point out why they are low, but clearly I'm not welcome...

All I know is that if we were in scummy Swindon's position, trains or no trains no matter what the kick off time was - I would be there. Kids or no kids.

Good luck in League 1 next season by the way.

You made it sound like we take more to a midweek London game than we are to the play off final, I was simply questioning that.

Anyway, I'll let you get back to obsessing over Swindon.

Says the bloke who actually bothered to take time and effort to register on a rival forum. Odd.

Anyway, do enjoy your Wembley appearance. Don't forget to lift your bag!

I'm Preston... Came on here after reading their forum, which mentioned that you were all laughing at ticket sales for Sunday. Thought I'd point out why they are low, but clearly I'm not welcome...

I think calling someone an idiot hasn't really helped your cause.

I can see it why it would be more of an issue for Preston fans it being a late kick off but Swindon fans don't have the same excuses. Trains or no trains, Swindon isn't all that far from London.

The match is this weekend if I am not mistaken? 

If both clubs sell little more than 21,000 each then, frankly, that is a tragedy.

I am very surprised with the measly figure by Preston.

Preston's population is 114k.

Swindon's population is 209k.

Bristol's population is 437k.

Set against these statistics, I would say for Preston and Swindon to take 21k each is not an unreasonable turnout.  Even allowing for our blue friends, that means we have a much larger pool of people who might be interested in a day out at Wembley, which is all it is for a lot of people who attend on these occasions. 

Apologies for bringing facts into the argument.

I think calling someone an idiot hasn't really helped your cause.

I can see it why it would be more of an issue for Preston fans it being a late kick off but Swindon fans don't have the same excuses. Trains or no trains, Swindon isn't all that far from London.

Probably, although I'd be worried if anyone was seriously offended by being called an idiot.

This is true, it's going to be 4hours by coach for us, obviously I'd still have hoped we'd take more, but the FA pandering for the Premier League KOs is clearly more important than L1

You are welcome, as long as you are civilised. I would much prefer Preston to come up than Swindon, and frankly surprised you didn't get the other auto spot. Still an idiot am I now?

No, you are very welcome. Its good to hear other views.

Like many other City fans we have a lot of respect for Preston & their fans.

Proper club with proper fans.

just make sure you finish the job off at Wembley, A Beckford hat trick should do it followed by Garner elbowing that nice Mr.Thomson in the face who then gets sent off for retaliation will do just nicely & be the cherry on the cake.

Any one notice why Thomson is number two? Is it because he's a number two?

Preston's population is 114k.

Swindon's population is 209k.

Bristol's population is 437k.

Set against these statistics, I would say for Preston and Swindon to take 21k each is not an unreasonable turnout.  Even allowing for our blue friends, that means we have a much larger pool of people who might be interested in a day out at Wembley, which is all it is for a lot of people who attend on these occasions. 

Apologies for bringing facts into the argument.

Hey Chip.. good argument on paper my friend but are you not forgetting the history of Preston's supporter base?

Add to that they have an average gate of around 10,500 this past season.. i just find it a little surprising they are not taking more.. lets see the official attendance.. i think they will take considerably more myself and looking around the internet it seems that will be the case.. see below..

Swindon ticket sales sound about right to me.

I notice however that no staff of Preston will receive comp tickets for this match. I wonder how many that would usually have been? Perhaps a 100 or so.

This article seems to suggest 30k even if Virgin Trains are messing Preston fans about..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3081375/Preston-fans-hit-travel-chaos-play-final-thanks-Virgin-Trains-club-sponsor.html

No, you are very welcome. Its good to hear other views.

Like many other City fans we have a lot of respect for Preston & their fans.

Proper club with proper fans.

just make sure you finish the job off at Wembley, A Beckford hat trick should do it followed by Garner elbowing that nice Mr.Thomson in the face who then gets sent off for retaliation will do just nicely & be the cherry on the cake.

Any one notice why Thomson is number two? Is it because he's a number two?

We'll try, although with our record needless to say I'm rather worried we'll bottle it AGAIN, managed it once this season already. And that Thompson is most likely out injured as it is

We'll try, although with our record needless to say I'm rather worried we'll bottle it AGAIN, managed it once this season already. And that Thompson is most likely out injured as it is

Now you listen here mate.. if don't thrash the pants off Swindle we are all, to a man, going to be extremely cheesed off.. Your country needs you now more than ever.. get down to Wembley in the sort of numbers that one would expect from an illustrious club and crush those tin potters.

No more of this glum chat nonsense.

Now you listen here mate.. if don't thrash the pants off Swindle we are all, to a man, going to be extremely cheesed off.. Your country needs you now more than ever.. get down to Wembley in the sort of numbers that one would expect from an illustrious club and crush those tin potters.

No more of this glum chat nonsense.

It needed us to stop the franchise too, and that didn't go well...

But yes you're right, we finished higher in the league and Garner's already scored a hat trick past them this season!

So

Roundabout FC will take 3/4 times the average gate to Wembley.

About the same as City.

The Gas however tell everybody their the BEST.

The motorway was going to sink under the weight of the pilgrimage.

Then go on to let themselves down.

Let Bristol down.

And let John Cabot and Isambard Kingdom Brunel down.

and probably the tyres on the team bus even tho they won

This is the population for Preston taken from the Local Council website:

With a population of 131,900, Preston is growing both physically and in terms of profile. Now, the city's driving vision is to be the third city of the North West, after Manchester and Liverpool.

Add in South Ribble which is the other side of the river and the immediate area of Preston is close to 300,000

The big problem is the proximity of other football  clubs. Manchester and Liverpool only half an hour away. 10 miles to Barsteward Rovers, 17 to The Dingles and add in Bolton, Accrington, The Pie Eaters, Morecambe, Oldham and Bury and Lancashire is saturated with football clubs.

Obviously I didn't include the sand flicking donkey fiddlers as nobody in their right mind would choose  to voluntarily go to that hell hole

The problem wasn't a rail strike, it was that there is replacement bus between Reading and Paddington due to engineering works.

Think this is correct. Anyone verify? 

that is correct, also works on the route down from preston as well being its a bank holiday its the best time to do the major engineering works,

I think the towards the end of june the tracks between bristol and chippenham will be shut for a month, while they make the line ready for the eletrifcation, (lowing the track bed and lift structures to fit the wires in etc...)

So its going to be a nightmare for those who commute to london as well

Archived