IGNORED

Is It Worth Having An Academy ?

foghornred

Yes it is worth having an Academy buts the current rules are absurd.i think it's wrong that Norwich, West Brom and Southampton have academies located in or near Bristol. It's a no brainer, shouldn't be allowed.

Bristol City voted for these rules not against. No good whining about them.

Its all loaded for the big clubs.

No point in an academy at all these days.

Scrap it until the rules change - save at least 2m per year which would get us 3 or 4 decent players...

academies are exempt from ffp so you wouldn't nessasarilly be able to swap finances around like that!!

Yes, frustrating as it can be.

• Nothing better than see a local player like Joe Bryan come through the ranks.
  • We cannot base the clubs success on outspending other teams.  We can't do it and its not sustainable. 
  • Sooner or later young players will realise they are better off developing their skills at their local clubs and break into their local team's first team is a better option, then see where it takes them.  Rotting amongst an army of Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City youth IMHO isn't the best way to progress their careers. (Southampton/Spurs being the exception who actually promote from within).   
  • To make it work we need to invest in the best coaches & facilities, to convince young players they can develop with us. Once they start breaking through other will follow, but it'll take time.

I agree with most said on here but academies and their facilities such as man city's new place with Patrick viera at the head of it are better for the youngsters of today than a smaller lower league club. However the lack of first team chances is a problem so affiliation to other clubs in the conference and below is a good idea to ensure first team football and improves the standard of football allowing youngsters more chance of making as if I remekber correctly 1% of under 16 year olds make it professionally and 3% of unders 18s

3 options really.

1) Gain Level 1 Academy status, then no-one can poach.

2) Get to the Premier League, so our best youngsters will stay with us as they don't need to leave to get the glorification of being at a Prem team (goes for the parents as much as the kid himself).

3) Play ball. Cat 1 steal ours, so we go out and steal the best of Cat 2 & 3.

Options 1 & 2 may not happen anytime soon, and the rules ain't gonna change for us, so option 3 is what we should've been doing ever since we attained the Cat 2 status.

We've seen the likes of Lavercombe and Poole heading to Liverpool from Torquay & Newport this week. We need to get there first and poach. Take a risk. We are very risk averse still as a whole club when it comes to incomings.

3 options really.

2) Get to the Premier League, so our best youngsters will stay with us as they don't need to leave to get the glorification of being at a Prem team (goes for the parents as much as the kid himself).

Options 1 & 2 may not happen anytime soon, and the rules ain't gonna change for us, so option 3 is what we should've been doing ever since we attained the Cat 2 status.

We've seen the likes of Lavercombe and Poole heading to Liverpool from Torquay & Newport this week. We need to get there first and poach. Take a risk. We are very risk averse still as a whole club when it comes to incomings.

4) - Give BT a budget & let him control all in-coming players from U21's downwards.

Part of me thinks academies in the football league should be scrapped as plenty of money is spent bringing these youngsters through only to be nicked by big clubs. Then in a few years, they player realises he won't get anywhere in the prem club due to constant influx of foreign players and managers so the little clubs end up spend a whole lot more getting these players back for stupidly inflated prices.

The academies under the current tiered structure do seem pointless for the real football clubs but what can be done...

As Harry suggested, best way to deal with it is either get to prem or poach from lower down.

Can only hope that players like herbie Kane who is a huge Bristol City fan turns half decent at Liverpool but comes back to us when he doesn't get in first team. Only then, would we see the benefit of Liverpool stealing him as he would have been trained at a higher level

Its 2m the club could use - no problem at all.

The club would be better off scrapping it and just having a youth system based on the old apprenticeships.

Most of it is a load of billybigbollux anyway.

Citys academy does not cost two million pounds a season. A level one academy does.

If the academy was scrapped any pathway/youth system City ran from the under nines upwards would face substandard opposition. The 1 - 2 - 1 coaching hours would drop, the coaching standards almost certainly would drop, parents would look at other clubs, and recruitment would suffer.

City are a 2nd tier academy which means that City are able to poach promising players from the two lower tiers. It also means that Teir 1 academies can do the same to City and the system favours those with the tier one status. Clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal.

It's Citys aim to reach Tier one thus giving our club greater poaching ability.

Of course it's worth keeping it.

4) - Give BT a budget & let him control all in-coming players from U21's downwards.

Totally agree... give the man the respect he deserves. Give him a budget and let him be judged by who he brings in.

What is the point of letting KB and SC judge who we bring in? They could be gone tomorrow.

This is why Clubs need to be set up long term from within. The Club should have a backroom staff of coaches that bring in players according to the long term Club structure.

The first team manager is a cog in a big wheel and should really only be concerned with what is in the first team or near to it.

Why does SC and to a lesser degree KB have final say in bringing in players for Development?

I don't see the point.

3 options really.

Full agree with you, the downside is even as Cat 2 we aren't exactly a big drawcard...

Yes we should be going after southwest players from other academies but its a bit naive to think we have much pulling power from anywhere else in the country. 13 and 14 yo boys are unlikely to want to leave home in the north of England to move up 1 academy level, they will wait for a northern club or stick it out where they are.

The prem clubs can afford to move the whole family etc whereas about all we offer (from memory) is foster accommodation for the kids.

I agree with most said on here but academies and their facilities such as man city's new place with Patrick viera at the head of it are better for the youngsters of today than a smaller lower league club. However the lack of first team chances is a problem so affiliation to other clubs in the conference and below is a good idea to ensure first team football and improves the standard of football allowing youngsters more chance of making as if I remekber correctly 1% of under 16 year olds make it professionally and 3% of unders 18s

Were not the under 18's under 16 at one time then? Or did they suddenly appear as 17 years old.

All those leaving our academy have a sell on clause don't they?

Anyway lost everyone that's left and by the time they are 22 they will of dropped down the leagues because there's about a 1% chance of them breaking through

It's all about greed from players and agents these days

All those leaving our academy have a sell on clause don't they?

Anyway lost everyone that's left and by the time they are 22 they will of dropped down the leagues because there's about a 1% chance of them breaking through

It's all about greed from players and agents these days

I can't agree with your last statement. Granted it happens higher up the leagues, but there are thousands of players that want to play for the right reasons.

It's difficult to see it from a fans perspective. But it really does become a job. Players back in the 70's were exactly like they are today, it's just that the money like today wasn't around.

No one complains about Movie stars or Rock stars making fortunes...but football players get ridiculous amounts of abuse by comparison.

The public feed the monster....the monster gets bigger.

It's football as a business that's wrong...not the players and agents.

I can't agree with your last statement. Granted it happens higher up the leagues, but there are thousands of players that want to play for the right reasons.

It's difficult to see it from a fans perspective. But it really does become a job. Players back in the 70's were exactly like they are today, it's just that the money like today wasn't around.

No one complains about Movie stars or Rock stars making fortunes...but football players get ridiculous amounts of abuse by comparison.

The public feed the monster....the monster gets bigger.

It's football as a business that's wrong...not the players and agents.

Well I use Stirling of Liverpool as a prime example of greed from agents and players I mean 100k a week isn't enough for him

Well I use Stirling of Liverpool as a prime example of greed from agents and players I mean 100k a week isn't enough for him

How do you know Stirling is turning down a contract purely on money?

There maybe many reasons he doesn't want to stay there. It's all media saying it's money.

You get to the top of your game in any business, if you get tapped up by another company with better prospects and benefits you are going to take it.

Why shouldn't a footballer?

On the other hand..he's 20...how did you think when you were 20....easily led...worlds your oyster?

The lad is a kid...

It's easy for us old gits to be judgemental...but think about it for a minute.

How do you know Stirling is turning down a contract purely on money?

There maybe many reasons he doesn't want to stay there. It's all media saying it's money.

You get to the top of your game in any business, if you get tapped up by another company with better prospects and benefits you are going to take it.

Why shouldn't a footballer?

On the other hand..he's 20...how did you think when you were 20....easily led...worlds your oyster?

The lad is a kid...

It's easy for us old gits to be judgemental...but think about it for a minute.

Maybe it's me being bitter about modern football but there are very few loyal players and most seem to be motivated by money these days

I don't blame the player as much as I blame agents

Agents are the worst thing about modern football

We ought to have a thriving academy, but what message are we putting out when SC didn't think any one in the Academy was worth a place on the bench when we couldn't raise 7 fit subs? Is he saying none of them would have benefitted from the experience of being in a matchday squad, even if they had no chance of getting on? In that case, none of them will ever be good enough.

Archived