IGNORED

Rugby Culture Shock

Fatalist

I haven't watched live rugby for 50 years, so I thought I'd give it a go - and say farewell to the Williams. Boy is it different? Before the game, I'm used to ambling round the back of the Atyeo. Last night it was like a Music Festival - throngs of people with pint glasses as far as the eye could see.

Inside the Williams and the next shock - no segregation, just a random sprinkling of Worcester fans in our midst. My seat in Block D was seized up, I don't think it had been used for sitting on at football! Ten minutes into the game, people were still coming in, quite a few with tickets for seat numbers that didn't exist. Even so, there were 5 empty seats in my row.

Then the actual game - a bit of a mystery to me. About every 2 minutes, the ref blew for some mysterious infringement, and up to 8 blokes with high-viz tops ran on, carrying bottles, spare body parts etc.  Nearly all the players were replaced at some time, some of them more than once.

They must have had a lot of tragic events, as they had at least 12 goes at a minute's silence - every time there was a kick at goal. One time someone shouted out, there was nearly a riot and stewards waded in to get the culprit. Is this how football is going, fans evicted for shouting? During the game, the atmosphere was pretty good, but it didn't take long to write the words for the singing - just the one word.

Then to cap it all, Bristol lost - for the first time at home all season. But nobody seemed too upset, lots of gentlemanly clapping and waving and we all went home with our free flags and scarves - and no, I refused the scarf I was offered, it was blue after all.

I haven't watched live rugby for 50 years, so I thought I'd give it a go - and say farewell to the Williams. Boy is it different? Before the game, I'm used to ambling round the back of the Atyeo. Last night it was like a Music Festival - throngs of people with pint glasses as far as the eye could see.

Inside the Williams and the next shock - no segregation, just a random sprinkling of Worcester fans in our midst. My seat in Block D was seized up, I don't think it had been used for sitting on at football! Ten minutes into the game, people were still coming in, quite a few with tickets for seat numbers that didn't exist. Even so, there were 5 empty seats in my row.

Then the actual game - a bit of a mystery to me. About every 2 minutes, the ref blew for some mysterious infringement, and up to 8 blokes with high-viz tops ran on, carrying bottles, spare body parts etc.  Nearly all the players were replaced at some time, some of them more than once.

They must have had a lot of tragic events, as they had at least 12 goes at a minute's silence - every time there was a kick at goal. One time someone shouted out, there was nearly a riot and stewards waded in to get the culprit. Is this how football is going, fans evicted for shouting? During the game, the atmosphere was pretty good, but it didn't take long to write the words for the singing - just the one word.

Then to cap it all, Bristol lost - for the first time at home all season. But nobody seemed too upset, lots of gentlemanly clapping and waving and we all went home with our free flags and scarves - and no, I refused the scarf I was offered, it was blue after all.

I went to the ruggers earlier in the season, not for me at all. Too much silence, I like to vent at football, cant do that at rugby, its to slow and dull! Although the drinking whilst watching the game is a plus point.

I turned over for the last 2 minutes, I know absolutely nothing about rugby and just wanted to see the score. Turned over just as Worcester got their try to win the game.

What I couldn't believe was the almost total lack of celebration! There was about 5 seconds applause/cheering then that was it. Full time and that's that. A bit of respectful clapping but you'd never know that they'd just won the game with the last action of the game. In a playoff final first leg. Away.

Strange game.

Rugby is fantastic, living in New Zealand the passion there was insane, think of our love for football and times it by 10. Southern Hemisphere is where it is at, the Tri-Nations are epic and Super15 is beast too.

Following English rugby has given me more pleasure in a decade and a half than english football probably ever will. Wilko, Johnno, Robbo, Tualangi vs. the All Blacks, seeing the Chiefs smash the crusaders in the Super 12 (back in 2004ish). Great game.

I really hope this doesn't turn into (yet) another rugby bashing thread

It's a great game. Yes the atmosphere is different to football, yes the fans give the kicker some respect when he's taking a penalty, yes the fans sit together, yes it can be a bit stop start. Big deal. If you don't like it, don't go, don't watch it - if you don't understand it, or like it, or appreciate it by now, the chances are you won't

I can't stand tennis. Therefore I don't watch it

Working in Malvern I have some very happy locals here this morning. Surely Bris aren't going to screw up the play offs again, are they??

I really hope this doesn't turn into (yet) another rugby bashing thread

It's a great game. Yes the atmosphere is different to football, yes the fans give the kicker some respect when he's taking a penalty, yes the fans sit together, yes it can be a bit stop start. Big deal. If you don't like it, don't go, don't watch it - if you don't understand it, or like it, or appreciate it by now, the chances are you won't

I can't stand tennis. Therefore I don't watch it

Working in Malvern I have some very happy locals here this morning. Surely Bris aren't going to screw up the play offs again, are they??

Hey leave tennis alone!!! Otherwise i'll start on Eastenders...

I have! Chants of "GLOOOOOSSSSSTTTEEEERRRR" for 80 mins got a bit boring

So do all the Gas songs we sing about...noticed how many bother to 'stand up' these days...not many...because most City fans don't give a flying **** about them anymore....just a vocal few.

I actually hear City fans saying 'shut the **** up' when our lot start constantly singing about them.

At least with the Rugby...however repetitive...it's positive....wouldn't you agree?

So do all the Gas songs we sing about...noticed how many bother to 'stand up' these days...not many...because most City fans don't give a flying **** about them anymore....just a vocal few.

I actually hear City fans saying 'shut the **** up' when our lot start constantly singing about them.

At least with the Rugby...however repetitive...it's positive....wouldn't you agree?

I think most people don't stand up because they can't be bothered, not because of lack of feeling.

A good third of our songs (maybe more) are about rovers and the amount of threads on here recently show we are still bothered about them.

I much prefer the atmosphere of football with segregation and needle.

I have! Chants of "GLOOOOOSSSSSTTTEEEERRRR" for 80 mins got a bit boring

Fair enough, it's not the game for you then. Different atmosphere to City-R*vers, that's for sure, but if you have an allegiance to one of the teams it's a thing of beauty

I turned over for the last 2 minutes, I know absolutely nothing about rugby and just wanted to see the score. Turned over just as Worcester got their try to win the game.

What I couldn't believe was the almost total lack of celebration! There was about 5 seconds applause/cheering then that was it. Full time and that's that. A bit of respectful clapping but you'd never know that they'd just won the game with the last action of the game. In a playoff final first leg. Away.

Strange game.

Surely the cheps flang their top hets in the air and called for three cheers? You know, hip hip Hoorah x3.

How? I've been and it's a bit rubbish

I beg to differ...lots of banter amongst fans. Much prefer that than chanting. Lots of laughs, banter, drinking...it's far better...it feels like a party.

Football you sit and watch...and listen to people shouting rubbish...or chants about the Rovers.

Football atmosphere used to be good...it isn't anymore...Rugby is far more fun.

I beg to differ...lots of banter amongst fans. Much prefer that than chanting. Lots of laughs, banter, drinking...it's far better...it feels like a party.

Football you sit and watch...and listen to people shouting rubbish...or chants about the Rovers.

Football atmosphere used to be good...it isn't anymore...Rugby is far more fun.

Going to have to agree to disagree then - much rather a full blooded Severn or Bristol Derby over any rugby atmosphere

I think most people don't stand up because they can't be bothered, not because of lack of feeling.

A good third of our songs (maybe more) are about rovers and the amount of threads on here recently show we are still bothered about them.

I much prefer the atmosphere of football with segregation and needle.

Seen plenty of that in and around Kingsholm, don't worry about that

Archived