IGNORED

Where Do You Think We'll Finish?

Pearcy

If we recruit as well as last summer, then I will go for the Play Offs. For the first time in a while, we're riding a high tide and with a good summer, who knows where it could take us!?

I'm going for 6th place.

It looks an incredibly tough division this year and its difficult to look at it and pick a couple of teams likely to go down.

What Bournemouth and Brentford have done has raised the expectations and IMO, made next season a little more difficult for us. I'll personally be happy to stay up and delighted if we aren't involved in a relegation battle at all.

Of course, a lot will depend on what happens between now and August.

A top half finish with a chance of getting in the play offs would be fantastic but realistically I just want us to compete, showing the same attack-minded, hard-working attitude we saw last season. It looks like it will be a strong division. I'd be more than happy with mid-table.

. I'd be more than happy with mid-table.

I can never understand this point of view. Fair enough for someone to say that's what they expect, but why would anyone be happy with mediocrity? And saying it beats relegation isn't a valid response.

Genuine question.

For the first time ever I'm extremely glad that we lost that play off final to Hull.

Back then I believed it was our time, a club on the up, riding the crest of a wave that would bring us back to back promotions.... the future looked very bright.

But hindsight is a wonderful thing, and in all honesty I think we witnessed a kind of fantasy season back then, one we would have paid for heavily had we succeeded. We would've been spanked hard in every sense, humiliated and plummeted lie a stone.

Ok, we ended up a bit of a sorry mess in league one anyway, but my gut feeling is that I think we would've found ourselves in such ruin that SL wouldn't have been able to fund the stadium redevelopment.

This time around it feels different. This time we don't have an average bunch of grafters and journeymen playing above themselves. This time we don't have a decrepit, forlorn stadium incapable of mustering an ounce of revenue. I despise the prawn sarnie culture as much as the next man, but even I can see that having the ONLY stadium within the ENTIRE TOP FOUR DIVISIONS without a single corporate box isn't a healthy scenario.

For those reasons I believe our time really is coming soon, that we are now reasonably prepared to make a realistic and prolonged assault on becoming a premier league side.

I will go with an optimistic 6th for next season. 

For the first time ever I'm extremely glad that we lost that play off final to Hull.

Back then I believed it was our time, a club on the up, riding the crest of a wave that would bring us back to back promotions.... the future looked very bright.

But hindsight is a wonderful thing, and in all honesty I think we witnessed a kind of fantasy season back then, one we would have paid for heavily had we succeeded. We would've been spanked hard in every sense, humiliated and plummeted lie a stone.

Ok, we ended up a bit of a sorry mess in league one anyway, but my gut feeling is that I think we would've found ourselves in such ruin that SL wouldn't have been able to fund the stadium redevelopment.

This time around it feels different. This time we don't have an average bunch of grafters and journeymen playing above themselves. This time we don't have a decrepit, forlorn stadium incapable of mustering an ounce of revenue. I despise the prawn sarnie culture as much as the next man, but even I can see that having the ONLY stadium within the ENTIRE TOP FOUR DIVISIONS without a single corporate box isn't a healthy scenario.

For those reasons I believe our time really is coming soon, that we are now reasonably prepared to make a realistic and prolonged assault on becoming a premier league side.

I will go with an optimistic 6th for next season.

You would have turned down 1 season in the top flight and 30 odd million, back then, for finishing bottom along with parachute payments for 3 seasons?

I don't think Steve would have.

Plus, we scored over 100 competitive goals last season - quite a lot of fire power throughout the team.

An additional striker would be good but it doesn't need to be a million plus player, just the right fit.

Apparently the list is a goalie, a CB, a midfielder and 2 strikers. I think someone like Poole would be outside of that tally.

Source:- Read that in the Post earlier this week.

I can never understand this point of view. Fair enough for someone to say that's what they expect, but why would anyone be happy with mediocrity? And saying it beats relegation isn't a valid response.

Genuine question.

My problem with it is that those who say it are often the ones who get uppity when we lose a few games. You can't have one without the other.

From my perspective, I agree with those who have mentioned the signings and whether either Wade stays on and keeps the team spirit going as he has this season or whether someone can take over the mantel of chief organiser. For the signings, I believe SC and the team see character as almost more important as skill levels so I don't think they will get that wrong.

It could all come down to momentum, if we hit the first few games with the euphoria of last season and get a few wins behind us and the fans continue to believe, we could really shock the league, if we hit a few reverses early on and doubt creeps into the fans and the players we may have problems.

Genuine question.

I can see what you mean. I probably should have used "satisfied" rather than "happy" in that a mediocre season in the Championship would represent some progress from the couple of seasons of struggle at the end of our last stint there, but of course aiming for the top six would be much better.

You would have turned down 1 season in the top flight and 30 odd million, back then, for finishing bottom along with parachute payments for 3 seasons?

I don't think Steve would have.

Sorry, I don't follow what you're saying.

Archived