IGNORED

What Striker?

Does the whole entire footballing universe revolve around this small island we live on or am i missing something? There will im sure be options abroad we will be looking at.

True, I'm sure I remember SC saying about how he loves the high energy and never say die attitude of UK players though? May have just dreamt that mind so don't hold me to that!

Don't think Gary Hooper will get many games in the prem with Norwich, so maybe a loan option for the season. I do hope we go for Grigg though, He's the sort of striker that will score goals at every level. I think we might be able to persuade him to come here instead of MK Dongs

True, I'm sure I remember SC saying about how he loves the high energy and never say die attitude of UK players though? May have just dreamt that mind so don't hold me to that!

His preference, i too have read or listened, is for home grown players because he feels they form a cohesive unit more easily than mixing in a foreign perhaps slightly unknown foreign element. Northern Europe tends to be the safest bet if one does go foreign; ie if you have a team with only a very few overseas players.

Agree about the pace and SC's ability to bring out the best.

I can see us bringing in three strikers this year.

How about a lineup of Wilbrahim, Agard, Nichols, Hooper and Delfouneso?

Experience in Wilbs and Hooper, pace in Agard and Delfouneso and youth in Nichols. Could easily rotate and pair any two of those five without a great drop off in quality.

Hooper would be expensive, Nichols is a saleable asset for the future, whilst Delfouneso would be cheap. Not too unrealistic targets.

Agard doesn't have pace, he's not slow by any means though.

The one thing you need when stepping up is a ruthless streak, you need to tak your chances when they come as you may only get one or two a game, at league one level both Baldock and Agard missed as many as they scores, both getting good returns at the end of the season, in the championship you can't afford to miss.

Out of all the strikers I've seen who fit the bill I'd say Bradshaw is the most clinical, he's conversion rate is impressive and he's got a lot more to give, playing with the likes of Wilbraham will bring him on leaps and bounds, the same could be said of Nicholls although he's more of a gamble playing at league 2 level.

As for Joe Mason, I seriously doubt it.

Its an interesting one. I'm sure you are right about what you saw, but Blackpool are pony so it is less than surprising that he did not look good.

However pace is at a premium and SC has the ability of bringing the best from players....and on a free....He would jump at the chance to come to us. I wouldn't rule it out..

It's not just Blackpool this season though. He spent a lot of time on loan there in previous seasons when they were challenging for promotion and couldn't score. Had a loan at Coventry in League One and couldn't score there either

It's not just Blackpool this season though. He spent a lot of time on loan there in previous seasons when they were challenging for promotion and couldn't score. Had a loan at Coventry in League One and couldn't score there either

Yeah his record for a forward is not brilliant and if you listened to the majority on here Wilbo was a waist of time and wages on a free.

I think my over arching point is he's on a free, pace fits into SC's style, he has experience at a higher level and its a racing certainty the boys agent has already been on the phone.

If SC fancies he can make something of him, he would fit the bill, perhaps not as an out and out striker....Just fits the mould notionally!

A lot of who we get depends on if cotts and SL, decide do we go for it does SL trust cotts enough if he says I need to spend 4 million ish and ride on the good feeling round the club, a new stadium gives a club a extra momentum. Maybe there wait and c what happens with bolasie and adomah sell ones. I have a feeling Hooper is the man, a strike force of wilbs, agard, hooper and smith could fire us up.

SC will use the loan market that is a given. It keeps costs lower provided you can find the right players.

There is going to be money which could be increased if AA and YB get moved.

I'm not sure about which good young strikers may be available, but I would definitely be thinking about Matt Smith and don't forget Wes Burns, the boy has a big season ahead much like Joe Bryan did last season. Pre-season is going to be massive for that lad.

Freeman Flint Bryan Smith among others have attracted attention and if the fee is big enough ala Baldock who knows what might happen, although in a perfect world this team will be kept together.

By August we will have an idea and the bookies already have us as one of the favourites. But don't rule out Wilbo leading the attack come August as did Baldock last season, so business may not be done until the right guy is available ala Agard...And you never know who you might meet in a hotel lobby...Right?

i think burns might go on a short term loan to a league 1 side at the start of the season, much like last season at Cheltenham in league 2

A lot of who we get depends on if cotts and SL, decide do we go for it does SL trust cotts enough if he says I need to spend 4 million ish and ride on the good feeling round the club, a new stadium gives a club a extra momentum. Maybe there wait and c what happens with bolasie and adomah sell ones. I have a feeling Hooper is the man, a strike force of wilbs, agard, hooper and smith could fire us up.

Hooper would be expensive, probably out of our wage structure, a structure which won't be broken to accommodate one player granted he'd be an asset. I don't think the 4 you've suggested have an inch of acceleration or pace amongst them but their work ethic is in keeping of what I'd expect.

As for Delfonusu (sp) he can't finish, he has pace but so did Danny Haynes, we need someone clinical, young and befitting of our style; I'm no scout so can't offer up a load of names but I've admired Bradshaw and hear good things about Nicholls these are the kind of strikers we will probably be in the market for maybe adding another experienced head in the way of Smith or Chris Woods.

I wouldn't 100% rule out some movement out of the squad either..........

Hooper would be expensive, probably out of our wage structure, a structure which won't be broken to accommodate one player granted he'd be an asset. I don't think the 4 you've suggested have an inch of acceleration or pace amongst them but their work ethic is in keeping of what I'd expect.

As for Delfonusu (sp) he can't finish, he has pace but so did Danny Haynes, we need someone clinical, young and befitting of our style; I'm no scout so can't offer up a load of names but I've admired Bradshaw and hear good things about Nicholls these are the kind of strikers we will probably be in the market for maybe adding another experienced head in the way of Smith or Chris Woods.

I wouldn't 100% rule out some movement out of the squad either..........

Go on .

Go on .

Sorry, wasn't meant to be misleading just sure that as league one champions heads would or could be turned as our players must have admirers in higher places, sometimes players don't settle as well behind the scenes, young footballers often get homesick and as we know certain players/managers "fit" certain clubs. No rumours, just very distant murmurs.

As we were gentleman.

The following names were posted on Page 7 of the general rumours / speculation thread.  These are my best shot at realistic / affordable / viable striker targets :

Dominic Samuel - 21 - Reading

Fred Onyedinma - 18 - Millwall

Stevie May - 22 - Sheff Weds

Jamie Mackie - 29 - Forest

Uche Ikpeazu - 20 - Watford

Michael Smith - 23 - Swindon

Luke James - 20 - Peterborough

Tom Bradshaw - 22 - Walsall

Hakeeb Adelakun - 18 - S****horpe

Tom Nicholls - 21 - Exeter

Jack Redshaw - 24 - Morecambe

Ivan Toney - 19 - Northampton

Jason Cummings - 19 - HIbs

I also added potential Prem loanees of :

Dominic Solanke - 17 - Chelsea

Jordy Hiwula - 20 - Man City

Will Keane - 22- Man Utd

Sheyi Ojo - 18 - Liverpool

Jerome Sinclair - 18 - Liverpool

Shaq Coulthirst - 20 - Spurs

Sam Gallagher - 19 - Southampton

Ryan Hedges - 19 - Swansea

Rory Donnelly - 23 - Swansea

George Waring - 20 - Stoke

Julian N'Goy - 18 - Stoke

Conor McAleny - 22 - Everton

Chris Wood - 23 - Leicester

Duncan Watmore - 21 - Sunderland

Adam Armstrong - 18 - Newcastle

Of that list of loanees, if you want a big man have a look at George Waring or Sam Gallgher.  If you want someone a bit different, look at Watmore or Hiwula.

Of the list of transfers, I'd like us to be taking a strong look at Dominic Samuel or Tom Nicholls.

Outside of England I've done a bit of research and quite like the following players. Obviously we should never sign anyone on stats and youtube (my method) but perhaps a glance at these guys may not go amiss. Some may be a bit expensive or not interested but don't ask don't get.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/moussa-konate/profil/spieler/192774

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/vincent-janssen/profil/spieler/207015

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/vincent-vermeij/profil/spieler/273054

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jerry-van-ewijk/profil/spieler/111197

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/henk-veerman/profil/spieler/271743

I notice a couple of Dutch lads in there.  Maybe our friends from Willem might be able to provide some thoughts?

Or maybe the football club could take more of an interest in the fans link and forge a partnership with Willem, to share scouting resources (amongst other things).

Simple question : Hi Mr Willem scout, this is Mr Bristol City scout.  Who's looking good in the Dutch league, any strikers maybe available?

The following names were posted on Page 7 of the general rumours / speculation thread.  These are my best shot at realistic / affordable / viable striker targets :

Dominic Samuel - 21 - Reading

Fred Onyedinma - 18 - Millwall

Stevie May - 22 - Sheff Weds

Jamie Mackie - 29 - Forest

Uche Ikpeazu - 20 - Watford

Michael Smith - 23 - Swindon

Luke James - 20 - Peterborough

Tom Bradshaw - 22 - Walsall

Hakeeb Adelakun - 18 - S****horpe

Tom Nicholls - 21 - Exeter

Jack Redshaw - 24 - Morecambe

Ivan Toney - 19 - Northampton

Jason Cummings - 19 - HIbs

I also added potential Prem loanees of :

Dominic Solanke - 17 - Chelsea

Jordy Hiwula - 20 - Man City

Will Keane - 22- Man Utd

Sheyi Ojo - 18 - Liverpool

Jerome Sinclair - 18 - Liverpool

Shaq Coulthirst - 20 - Spurs

Sam Gallagher - 19 - Southampton

Ryan Hedges - 19 - Swansea

Rory Donnelly - 23 - Swansea

George Waring - 20 - Stoke

Julian N'Goy - 18 - Stoke

Conor McAleny - 22 - Everton

Chris Wood - 23 - Leicester

Duncan Watmore - 21 - Sunderland

Adam Armstrong - 18 - Newcastle

Of that list of loanees, if you want a big man have a look at George Waring or Sam Gallgher.  If you want someone a bit different, look at Watmore or Hiwula.

Of the list of transfers, I'd like us to be taking a strong look at Dominic Samuel or Tom Nicholls.

**** me, you've been busy on FM.

A proven striker wouldn't go a miss.

An Adam Le Fondre type - has a track record of doing it in this division before, still has lots of life left in him and has a clinicality about him.

Will be interesting to see how we move on the Striker front this Summer - I've read that Will Grigg is a target on the list drawn up by SC and KB, that'd be a risk for the amount of money that Brentford are quoting him for, seeing as he's never played in this division before.

Risky route IMO - but then again, Afobe was similar to Grigg at MK, and he's thrived in the Championship at Wolverhampton.

Cant see Hooper wanting to come here. He would get better offers i imagine if available.

Certainly would be a great signing though

Rewind 12 months and replace Hopper with Freeman. That happened.

Our Chairman has said we are going to have one 'big signing', why not Hooper?

Why are people suggesting Michael Smith of Swindon?

I'd stick my neck out of the woods and say he's no better than Wilbraham even at his age.

Smith by record is a 1 in 4 striker at Championship level, and he's most certainly not the strongest and best in the air 'Target Man' you'd ever see.

It's a no from me - although he did play his part in Swindon's spanking at Wembley, by missing a golden chance a 2-0, and he'll always be respected by me for that.

Why are people suggesting Michael Smith of Swindon?

I'd stick my neck out of the woods and say he's no better than Wilbraham even at his age.

Smith by record is a 1 in 4 striker at Championship level, and he's most certainly not the strongest and best in the air 'Target Man' you'd ever see.

It's a no from me - although he did play his part in Swindon's spanking at Wembley, by missing a golden chance a 2-0, and he'll always be respected by me for that.

Wilbraham had a worse than 1/4 goal scoring record for most of his career before he came here. Also, where are you getting your 1/4 stats for smith from? That's not correct!

Wilbraham had a worse than 1/4 goal scoring record for most of his career before he came here. Also, where are you getting your 1/4 stats for smith from? That's not correct!

You're right - I am, I got his record mixed up with Obika's, which if you research is exactly 1 in 4 in his time at Swindon.

Still not keen on Smith though - I'd rather Williams seeing that Swindon are trying to offload him due to wages, whenever I've seen him play he's been more of a presence than Smith, and has been far more clinical with chances.

Anyway, discussing Swindon players, didn't the rumour about us being not interested in ANY Swindon players get cleared up by Stockhausen last week?

You're right - I am, I got his record mixed up with Obika's, which if you research is exactly 1 in 4 in his time at Swindon.

Still not keen on Smith though - I'd rather Williams seeing that Swindon are trying to offload him due to wages, whenever I've seen him play he's been more of a presence than Smith, and has been far more clinical with chances.

Anyway, discussing Swindon players, didn't the rumour about us being not interested in ANY Swindon players get cleared up by Stockhausen last week?

I don't think you can take Stockhausen as gospel, he has a degree of inside knowledge but not everything.

I wouldn't trust Stockhausen on many rumours, if you're going to trust a media type person then go with Ali Durden,

Let's be fair here, to all of those who are not excited by the names being put out there, how many of you were excited with the names that were being signed last summer break? I know I was interested, but I wasn't excited and now look at some of those players and the season we've had. Names have to be made somewhere, I think Cotterill will do just fine with his signings, big names or not.

Let's be fair here, to all of those who are not excited by the names being put out there, how many of you were excited with the names that were being signed last summer break? I know I was interested, but I wasn't excited and now look at some of those players and the season we've had. Names have to be made somewhere, I think Cotterill will do just fine with his signings, big names or not.

Umm.. Freeman and Agard were seen as exciting. Ayling and Little were well received too. So no, I disagree. I know a couple of posters on here backed us for the title after we signed Freeman and were vindicated.

Archived