IGNORED

What Striker?

Umm.. Freeman and Agard were seen as exciting. Ayling and Little were well received too. So no, I disagree. I know a couple of posters on here backed us for the title after we signed Freeman and were vindicated.

I agree but they weren't big names and we've signed plenty of players with potential in the past only to see them flop badly, my point was that whilst some names may not excite it doesn't mean they won't become a name that excites.

Let's be fair here, to all of those who are not excited by the names being put out there, how many of you were excited with the names that were being signed last summer break? I know I was interested, but I wasn't excited and now look at some of those players and the season we've had. Names have to be made somewhere, I think Cotterill will do just fine with his signings, big names or not.

i was, agard just came off a 26 goal season Little was a goal scoring right back, Ayling had a good season in the championship, Freeman was going to be a great left winger, Elliot helped us stay up, I wasn't expect wilbraham to have the season he had but thought he would be handy coming off the bench,

Granted none of us could forsee the season we've just had but I was looking forward to seeing the new players and thought we'd get 10th to play-offs at least

I can see you are new to this forum so should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Harry, unlike most, watches many many games and has a bit of a network going on.

plus  he's more of a championship manager 3 man,

I agree but they weren't big names and we've signed plenty of players with potential in the past only to see them flop badly, my point was that whilst some names may not excite it doesn't mean they won't become a name that excites.

Disagree a bit there.. We did sign some big names last season, big names for League 1 without doubt. Are starting 11 for the most part last season was on paper as strong as it could get for the third tier IMO.

In regards to the striker i would like to see us go for a slightly more proven name if im honest, Le Fondre for me is a stand out one, think he would do very well here.

As Jimmy Greaves and Ian St John use to say footballs a funny old game, who knows who we will sign, will the rest of the squad score as many as last season, would like a big name we are a massive club let's show the footballing world. We know cotts will use the loan market as well.Hooper is who I could c coming if not perm maybe on loan, the other one is Marcus Gayle, will he play for palace, if not will need some football.

I don't think we'd have a hope in hell of attracting let alone affording Hooper. While they wouldn't be cheap i think trying to attract Le Fondre and Wood could be achievable. I personally don't think Wesley is going to feature & if we stay in the Championship then i can only see him moving on unless he improves rapidly. If he's not in the plans then i'd like to see us take a gamble on Bradshaw or Nicholls but again, they would command a decent fee.

As Jimmy Greaves and Ian St John use to say footballs a funny old game, who knows who we will sign, will the rest of the squad score as many as last season, would like a big name we are a massive club let's show the footballing world. We know cotts will use the loan market as well.Hooper is who I could c coming if not perm maybe on loan, the other one is Marcus Gayle, will he play for palace, if not will need some football.

We won't sign either of them this season, they're both on big wages.

Let's be fair here, to all of those who are not excited by the names being put out there, how many of you were excited with the names that were being signed last summer break? I know I was interested, but I wasn't excited and now look at some of those players and the season we've had. Names have to be made somewhere, I think Cotterill will do just fine with his signings, big names or not.

I was.

Barring Alby, I was absolutely extatic with some of the signings we made - but in that league we were the big fish, so were able to poach players from smaller clubs - but it's a totally different situation in the Championship, as we don't make the step up as one of the big fish, but we're financially secure enough to hold our own and not let the big clubs do to us what we did to the clubs in L1.

I can see you are new to this forum so should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Harry, unlike most, watches many many games and has a bit of a network going on.

Long time observer - I'm more than familiar with the forum, but it's been a while, so it'll take a while to adjust to new members etc, but fair play to him.

i was, agard just came off a 26 goal season Little was a goal scoring right back, Ayling had a good season in the championship, Freeman was going to be a great left winger, Elliot helped us stay up, I wasn't expect wilbraham to have the season he had but thought he would be handy coming off the bench,

Granted none of us could forsee the season we've just had but I was looking forward to seeing the new players and thought we'd get 10th to play-offs at least

I foresaw a great season. Ok I am a fundamentalist and often foresee a good season normally to be disappointed, the signings you mentioned and Smith were excellent, followed by Smith Kane and Tavernier on loan made me feel even more comfortable we were going to be possibly the best team to win the division and only the second club to do the 'double' 

I was.

Barring Alby, I was absolutely extatic with some of the signings we made - but in that league we were the big fish, so were able to poach players from smaller clubs - but it's a totally different situation in the Championship, as we don't make the step up as one of the big fish, but we're financially secure enough to hold our own and not let the big clubs do to us what we did to the clubs in L1.

I largely agree, but young players know this is the team to be in or around, which does give us some edge. Also money may be available above and beyond the pocket of the chairman if a coupe of our ex-players move. How long do AA and YB have on their contracts, anything under 18 months will make this more likely.

On another note. The boy Kane enjoyed his time here is he still contracted to Chelsea as I see him coming here if SC wants him?

I foresaw a great season. Ok I am a fundamentalist and often foresee a good season normally to be disappointed, the signings you mentioned and Smith were excellent, followed by Smith Kane and Tavernier on loan made me feel even more comfortable we were going to be possibly the best team to win the division and only the second club to do the 'double' 

I largely agree, but young players know this is the team to be in or around, which does give us some edge. Also money may be available above and beyond the pocket of the chairman if a coupe of our ex-players move. How long do AA and YB have on their contracts, anything under 18 months will make this more likely.

On another note. The boy Kane enjoyed his time here is he still contracted to Chelsea as I see him coming here if SC wants him?

Kane got on well at Forest so I heard - so wouldn't be massively against that.

I don't think we'd have a hope in hell of attracting let alone affording Hooper. While they wouldn't be cheap i think trying to attract Le Fondre and Wood could be achievable. I personally don't think Wesley is going to feature & if we stay in the Championship then i can only see him moving on unless he improves rapidly. If he's not in the plans then i'd like to see us take a gamble on Bradshaw or Nicholls but again, they would command a decent fee.

Id take bradshaw and nicholls .

The following names were posted on Page 7 of the general rumours / speculation thread.  These are my best shot at realistic / affordable / viable striker targets :

Dominic Samuel - 21 - Reading

Fred Onyedinma - 18 - Millwall

Stevie May - 22 - Sheff Weds

Jamie Mackie - 29 - Forest

Uche Ikpeazu - 20 - Watford

Michael Smith - 23 - Swindon

Luke James - 20 - Peterborough

Tom Bradshaw - 22 - Walsall

Hakeeb Adelakun - 18 - S****horpe

Tom Nicholls - 21 - Exeter

Jack Redshaw - 24 - Morecambe

Ivan Toney - 19 - Northampton

Jason Cummings - 19 - HIbs

I also added potential Prem loanees of :

Dominic Solanke - 17 - Chelsea

Jordy Hiwula - 20 - Man City

Will Keane - 22- Man Utd

Sheyi Ojo - 18 - Liverpool

Jerome Sinclair - 18 - Liverpool

Shaq Coulthirst - 20 - Spurs

Sam Gallagher - 19 - Southampton

Ryan Hedges - 19 - Swansea

Rory Donnelly - 23 - Swansea

George Waring - 20 - Stoke

Julian N'Goy - 18 - Stoke

Conor McAleny - 22 - Everton

Chris Wood - 23 - Leicester

Duncan Watmore - 21 - Sunderland

Adam Armstrong - 18 - Newcastle

Of that list of loanees, if you want a big man have a look at George Waring or Sam Gallgher.  If you want someone a bit different, look at Watmore or Hiwula.

Of the list of transfers, I'd like us to be taking a strong look at Dominic Samuel or Tom Nicholls.

According to my Stokie friend this guy is rubbish.

His words.. you really need to be aiming significantly higher than this 

According to my Stokie friend this guy is rubbish.

His words.. you really need to be aiming significantly higher than this

My Stokie links like him a lot and the Stokie management rate him as they've just offered him a new contract. Everyone at Barnsley also liked him during his brief loan spell there where his strike rate was good.

Certainly it's a game of opinions though and I'm sure he's not everyone's cup of tea.

My Stokie links like him a lot and the Stokie management rate him as they've just offered him a new contract. Everyone at Barnsley also liked him during his brief loan spell there where his strike rate was good.

Certainly it's a game of opinions though and I'm sure he's not everyone's cup of tea.

Absolutely its about opinions.

If i am not mistaken his strike rate for the Tykes is about 1 in 4.... Not bad, not fabulous and that is for mid table league 1 remember... Hence why my stokie pal says we must aim higher.

If i am not mistaken his strike rate for the Tykes is about 1 in 4.... Not bad, not fabulous and that is for mid table league 1 remember... Hence why my stokie pal says we must aim higher.

6 goals in 17 starts for Barnsley last season. A crucial part of the team in the turnaround of Barnsleys season.

And for a 'Target man' that's decent.

Not bad at all,

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Waring is 6ft. 5', so right up there with Flint and Matt Smith.

Sounds like a reasonable Smith type target if the man himself doesn't materialise, and, who knows, he may even hit a similarly rich vein of form at AG.

At just 20, the promise is clearly there and 6 goals in 17 is definitely something to build on.

Wilbraham's record was worse than this for most of his career.. Then look!

Stats don't tell the whole story.. I've never seen Waring play myself but Stoke have a good youth set up now. 20 is no age, look how much Harry Kane or Joe Bryan improved in a year. We definitely need another targetman type, possible understudy/replacement for Wilbraham.

Matt Smith or Chris Wood and a pacey young striker to compete with Agard.

I think either of those would be good, I'd be tempted to lean more towards Wood as I think he's a better all rounder - however I wouldn't mind Smith either and he obviously gets on well with the team. With Smith and Flint we are a real danger from set pieces which will be very important this year.

I think either of those would be good, I'd be tempted to lean more towards Wood as I think he's a better all rounder - however I wouldn't mind Smith either and he obviously gets on well with the team. 

So we were told, and no reason to doubt it.

But the team/squad is ever evolving and for all we know Smith's particular mates may have been Jet, Wade, Richards, Saville and Tavernier, so his view of the remaining squad may already be completely different.

That's not even taking into account the probability of 7 newcomers so the tight knit squad of last season and relationships formed will have to adapt to new dynamics, as will us fans who quite understandably will have developed a soft spot for last seasons' heroes.

Inevitably new bonding to do all round.

Don't think Gary Hooper will get many games in the prem with Norwich, so maybe a loan option for the season. I do hope we go for Grigg though, He's the sort of striker that will score goals at every level. I think we might be able to persuade him to come here instead of MK Dongs

How many goals has Will Grigg scored above League one level..?

Archived