IGNORED

Really What Is The Problem Here?re

Neymars coach and teammates have hardly backed him.

A criticism of Neymar has been that he hangs on to the ball too long instead rotating the ball quickly which is the Barcelona way. If he cuts out the unnecessary and ineffective showboating they could become even better as a team.

Nothing to get over. It is an interesting topic.

It is not a particularly hard skill to perform without an opponent. Seven, eight, nine year olds can perform a version of the rainbow flick. However its use is limited, it is harder to perform at speed and very often results in loss of possession.

I only hope all those entrusted with the 'coaching' of these seven, eight, and nine year olds in England encourage skill, expression and risk taking in the most gifted of their young charges.

It's a horrible thought that talented and exuberant youngsters would ever be discouraged from displaying their exceptional skills because the coaches somehow believed their opponent might feel humiliated or upset.

The coaches should only be guiding them as to when it is suitable to use these skills and when perhaps it is not, not demoralising them with any suggestion that it is somehow 'disrespectful' to do it at all.

I only hope all those entrusted with the 'coaching' of these seven, eight, and nine year olds in England encourage skill, expression and risk taking in the most gifted of their young charges.

It's a horrible thought that talented and exuberant youngsters would ever be discouraged from displaying their exceptional skills because the coaches somehow believed their opponent might feel humiliated or upset.

The coaches should only be guiding them as to when it is suitable to use these skills and when perhaps it is not, not demoralising them with any suggestion that it is somehow 'disrespectful' to do it at all.

A basis of coaching is it is a team game. There is no me in team.

Coaches will look to develop skills which will in turn increase the options a player has to create space and time to cross, pass and shoot.

Attempting to humiliate player with an "unnecessary" trick which loses the opportunity to create space and time no matter what its difficulty is a pointless option.

Coaches will look to develop skills which will in turn increase the options a player has to create space and time to cross, pass and shoot.

Attempting to humiliate player with an "unnecessary" trick which loses the opportunity to create space and time no matter what its difficulty is a pointless option.

Sounds like you want to watch table football.

And you still state 'Attempting to humiliate' when you have no basis that this is the intention - not even a reasonable inference.

In that case, George Best should have been banned from Day One :nono:

Sounds like you want to watch table football.

And you still state 'Attempting to humiliate' when you have no basis that this is the intention - not even a reasonable inference.

Not at all.

I enjoy watching Barcelona on tv but understand Messi scores shedloads due to the team philosophy.

Neymars coach and team mates did not approve. Showboating is not part of the above philosophy.

In that case, George Best should have been banned from Day One :nono:

Best went past players with pace and economy of movement in the form of side steps, quick changes of direction and dummies. His first touch was positive, he wanted to get from A - B quickly, it was purposeful.

Neymar has a lot more kodak moments.

Wot a load of pony!

Fans wanna be entertained and actually say the word 'wow' when proper players show off their skills.

I loved watching Jacki despite some people's opinions of him on here, he was a cut above and I loved watching him take the p*ss!

A pretty large % of Matt Le Tiss' goals contained a huge degree of skill, should he have been lambasted by the opposition? No of course not, he was doing his job, winning games for Southampton and entertaining the fans.

I also disagreed with Man City hauling Balotelli off in that friendly in the US when he tried an outrageous back heeled finish when it was easier to score with a normal side foot, it was a friendly!!! Why not try a few outrageous things?!

Football needs genuises not overpaid carthorses who just get it under control and smack it down the channels....

Wot a load of pony!

Fans wanna be entertained and actually say the word 'wow' when proper players show off their skills.

I loved watching Jacki despite some people's opinions of him on here, he was a cut above and I loved watching him take the p*ss!

A pretty large % of Matt Le Tiss' goals contained a huge degree of skill, should he have been lambasted by the opposition? No of course not, he was doing his job, winning games for Southampton and entertaining the fans.

I also disagreed with Man City hauling Balotelli off in that friendly in the US when he tried an outrageous back heeled finish when it was easier to score with a normal side foot, it was a friendly!!! Why not try a few outrageous things?!

Football needs genuises not overpaid carthorses who just get it under control and smack it down the channels....

Indeed. What about Gazza putting Hendry on his arse during Euro 96? We were winning at that point after all.

Indeed. What about Gazza putting Hendry on his arse during Euro 96? We were winning at that point after all.

Absolutely!

Should he have said 'sorry Mr H, let me help you up, don't wanna humiliate you in front of a full stadium' before tamely giving the ball back to the Scottish keeper...' ???!!

Bowles, Hudson, Worthington, Best, Currie, Marsh, Gazza, Le Tiss, Hoddle, Giggs......would you pay to watch them or a journeyman pro who can pass five yards?!

What about it? Gascoigne was 1 v 1 and took two positive touches to score. Showboating is something very different, it is often pointless and ineffective.

What about it? Gascoigne was 1 v 1 and took two positive touches to score. Showboating is something very different, it is often pointless and ineffective.

So if Neymar goes on to score it's justified? Please don't tell me you are suggesting Gazza in fainting and then lobbing Henry as he did was doing something other than showboating. He could have controlled the ball and beaten him with the side steps you approve of.

Another one - Phillipe Albert humiliating Schmeichal with an exquisite chip to go what 4-5 goals clear in that match. Defenders lobbing goalkeepers must meet your low success % criteria, is showboating, and is humiliating for the goalkeeper involved.

Like I said, you just sound like you want to watch table football - expression and individualism to be discouraged. And as for the Spanish win by any means - including cheating which is tacitly approved of - but not by exercising excessive skill because that's disrespectful. Nonsense. What is disrespectful is the antics in that league - I won't even watch it because it's no less than embarrassing and disrespectful to your team mates, your coach, your medical staff, the referees and the fans.

So if Neymar goes on to score it's justified? Please don't tell me you are suggesting Gazza in fainting and then lobbing Henry as he did was doing something other than showboating. He could have controlled the ball and beaten him with the side steps you approve of.

Another one - Phillipe Albert humiliating Schmeichal with an exquisite chip to go what 4-5 goals clear in that match. Defenders lobbing goalkeepers must meet your low success % criteria, is showboating, and is humiliating for the goalkeeper involved.

Like I said, you just sound like you want to watch table football - expression and individualism to be discouraged. And as for the Spanish win by any means - including cheating which is tacitly approved of - but not by exercising excessive skill because that's disrespectful. Nonsense. What is disrespectful is the antics in that league - I won't even watch it because it's no less than embarrassing and disrespectful to your team mates, your coach, your medical staff, the referees and the fans.

You are taking things seriously out of context. Creativity within a team framework is a necessity.

Barcelona are based upon fluidity and tempo and occasionally, that fluidity and tempo is broken by Neymars unnecessary showboating. Barcelona would become even more scarily effective if Neymar played it more simply "at times" and did not break up lightning-quick transition and one touch passing triangles.

More simply can still be expressive and skillful v indulgent and wasteful which attempting a skill like the rainbow flick often [very very often] is.

Neymar is a genius with the ball but he can become even better by looking at some of his team mates where one touch if you like, two touches and three if you have too achieves so much more than showboating to no purpose e.g Inesta, Messi, Xavi ..

You are taking things seriously out of context. Creativity within a team framework is a necessity.

Barcelona are based upon fluidity and tempo and occasionally, that fluidity and tempo is broken by Neymars unnecessary showboating. Barcelona would become even more scarily effective if Neymar played it more simply "at times" and did not break up lightning-quick transition and one touch passing triangles.

More simply can still be expressive and skillful v indulgent and wasteful which attempting a skill like the rainbow flick often [very very often] is.

Neymar is a genius with the ball but he can become even better by looking at some of his team mates where one touch if you like, two touches and three if you have too achieves so much more than showboating to no purpose e.g Inesta, Messi, Xavi ..

Fair enough. I can understand the reasoning behind the points you are making in this post and I do agree up to a certain extent.

However where we depart in polar opposites is I absolutely do feel there is a place in football for extravagance/ indulgence/showboating however you want to badge it. Yes not constantly. Ronaldo became what he is by curbing his desire to impress, perhaps Neymar needs to do similar (like I said previously I detest La Liga to the extent I would rather watch Loose Women so re his development I have no opinion).

However in that particular incident whilst I acknowledge how it has been interpreted, I find the disrespect suggestion baseless. And I dispute it was showboating for showboating sake, or without purpose. If he started doing kick ups then I could agree but he didn't, he attempted to beat a man and advance on goal and I fault to see how that's without purpose. It may not be the most effective way to achieve that but that's a completely different matter.

Archived