IGNORED

Really What Is The Problem Here?re

What was wrong was that he didn't do it very well.

When the goalkeeper did that scorpion kick against England you didn't see the players getting out their handbags.

Continentals eh?

What was wrong was that he didn't do it very well.

When the goalkeeper did that scorpion kick against England you didn't see the players getting out their handbags.

Continentals eh?

If the defender hadn't pushed him I think he'd have got there first

Nothing wrong with that at all, Jackie did something similar against Ipswich (I think) when the score was 0-0.

Who was it who knelt down and headed the ball into the net from goal line against Rovers in a friendly? I didn't think there was anything wrong with that.

It was indeed Chris Garland, but competitive game (sort of it was the G*s) Anglo Scottish cup.

With all of the talk about JET and entertainment recently, really what is the problem with this? it's just great skill FFS, footballers are such big pussies sometimes, they really are.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9870823/neymar-defiant-after-showboat-flick-in-barcelonas-copa-del-rey-win-sparks-anger

You have to attempt to understand cultural context.

In England pushing the ball through someones legs and shouting "megs" is considered disrespectful and once would have invited challenges in a game that would open knees up.

What is acceptable in futsal or panna can be see as humiliation and taking the piss 11 v 11. That rainbow flick and dive to Bilbao occupies the former.

With all of the talk about JET and entertainment recently, really what is the problem with this? it's just great skill FFS, footballers are such big pussies sometimes, they really are.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9870823/neymar-defiant-after-showboat-flick-in-barcelonas-copa-del-rey-win-sparks-anger

Personally I think this is poor journalism. Having watched the video, I don't think the angry reaction from the players is to do with 'showboating' but more the ease at which Neymar went to ground.

You have to attempt to understand cultural context.

In England pushing the ball through someones legs and shouting "megs" is considered disrespectful and once would have invited challenges in a game that would open knees up.

What is acceptable in futsal or panna can be see as humiliation and taking the piss 11 v 11. That rainbow flick and dive to Bilbao occupies the former.

How would JET's penalties be interpreted?.

Personally I think this is poor journalism. Having watched the video, I don't think the angry reaction from the players is to do with 'showboating' but more the ease at which Neymar went to ground.

These quotes don't support that theory.

Enrique's oppositie number, Ernesto Valverde, also fired a warning.

"It is not even looked upon well by his own fans," Valverde said.

"When the game is won we are very well aware to maintain certain respect for the opponent. There are things that he will learn with time."

Advising Neymar to follow the lead of team-mate Messi, Athletic captain Andoni Iraola added: "For me it didn't seem elegant or sporting at all.

"He has examples in his own team that he should pay attention to because he has much to learn from them."

How would JET's penalties be interpreted?.

Who knows? Maybe the same as Pogbas are received in Italy.

Athletico are a team based upon workrate, energy, and a Basque XI team ethic, it is easy to see why they took exception to flash foreign Neymar. There are ex Bristol City players who would describe that flick as "fanny football" and would have expected team mates "to leave a mark on him".

Athletico are a team based upon workrate, energy, and a Basque XI team ethic, it is easy to see why they took exception to flash foreign Neymar. There are ex Bristol City players who would describe that flick as "fanny football" and would have expected team mates "to leave a mark on him".

I think the difference is that I would get him back in the game later on with a rough tackle or more rough marking. I'd tell him in this period what I thought of his tricks in his ear, in the game. I would not join in with the Bilbao players in this instance who are just throwing a paddy. 

I think the difference is that I would get him back in the game later on with a rough tackle or more rough marking. I'd tell him in this period what I thought of his tricks in his ear, in the game. I would not join in with the Bilbao players in this instance who are just throwing a paddy. 

I really must be missing something here Pele did similar tricks all of the time, especially in internationals, yet I have never heard the name Pele and disrespect in the same sentence, there is footage of him beating the same player 3 times in the same move.

These quotes don't support that theory.

Enrique's oppositie number, Ernesto Valverde, also fired a warning.

"It is not even looked upon well by his own fans," Valverde said.

"When the game is won we are very well aware to maintain certain respect for the opponent. There are things that he will learn with time."

I disagree; having done the hard work to establish a commanding lead, now is the chance for players to show off their full repertoire of skills and emphasize the team's superiority over the rivals. Presumably Valverde hasn't had a game against Swindon, Rovers or Cardiff then?

I really must be missing something here Pele did similar tricks all of the time, especially in internationals, yet I have never heard the name Pele and disrespect in the same sentence, there is footage of him beating the same player 3 times in the same move.

Yes you are missing something. I have seen Jay Jay Okocha using a variant of the same skill in England. In another era he would have not attempted it v a Leeds or Chelsea. Culture and football evolves.

An elastico v an opponent can be considered audacious and bold while that rainbow flick can be considered piss taking. Your perception will not be the same as the recipient.

I don't see how it's any worse than when players take the ball into the corner and try to block the opposition players from playing it. In my view it's obstruction and a foul should be awarded to the other team. At least trying a silly flick is a positive attacking thing to do, or at least it was in this situation.

I don't see how it's any worse than when players take the ball into the corner and try to block the opposition players from playing it. In my view it's obstruction and a foul should be awarded to the other team. At least trying a silly flick is a positive attacking thing to do, or at least it was in this situation.

If the ball is kept within playing distance of the person shielding it there can be no obstruction.

One nil up attempt a silly flick up with a minute to go anywhere on the pitch and lose possession of the ball the changing room may be less than positive post match. Even in that winning position it is a % skill.

If the ball is kept within playing distance of the person shielding it there can be no obstruction.

One nil up attempt a silly flick up with a minute to go anywhere on the pitch and lose possession of the ball the changing room may be less than positive post match. Even in that winning position it is a % skill.

Sure, but when I say positive I mean that you're trying to play and not negatively trying to keep it in the corner for example. I don't mean that the outcome will always be positive. I think that attacking play should be encouraged.

On the obstruction, I know, but I don't like it. Same with defenders "shepherding" the ball out of play, sometimes the ball is a couple of metres away when defenders are blocking attackers! You shouldn't be allowed to play the man without the ball in my opinion.

Archived