IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

It leaves a terrible taste, this. Smith admitting that it was premeditated to try and get an advantage from mucking about with the ball. They knew exactly what they were doing and wouldn't have given a fup if it hadn't been picked up on the telly.

If that's the way cricket has gone we might as well just not bother and go and watch Dele Alli dive every week instead.

10 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I see Dom Bess got 107 0ff 109 balls batting at 9 for the MCC v Essex in Bridgetown today. Well done, perhaps it WILL be our season this year.:fingerscrossed:

It was even better - better than a run a ball (106 balls) with 18 fours.

10 hours ago, Super said:

Is he better than Leach?

And Dom Bess then went on to get 6 wickets in Essexes second innings (6/51) to give him 8 for the match.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I was watching him get his hundred before and had exactly the same thought. 

Same sort of age as Bancroft (23 as opposed to 25) and, it would seem, a bit more adventurous - I am referring to his stroke play, not sandpaper shenanigans.

Has toured England before, quite successfully with younger age groups. 

On 3/30/2018 at 22:31, EmersonsRed said:

No chance given he's signed for Durham.

But only for the first four games - he will be available form May onwards (according to Cricinfo).

Aiden Markram, the South Africa opener, has signed for Durham for the first four games of the County Championship, with the New Zealand batsman Tom Latham taking on the 50-over captaincy when he arrives to fill the overseas spot until August.

Markram will arrive at Chester-le-Street in time for Durham's opening home Championship fixture against Kent in April, and will stay until the start of the Royal London One Day Cup in the middle of May.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

But only for the first four games - he will be available form May onwards (according to Cricinfo).

Aiden Markram, the South Africa opener, has signed for Durham for the first four games of the County Championship, with the New Zealand batsman Tom Latham taking on the 50-over captaincy when he arrives to fill the overseas spot until August.

Markram will arrive at Chester-le-Street in time for Durham's opening home Championship fixture against Kent in April, and will stay until the start of the Royal London One Day Cup in the middle of May.

That's because of this years schedule. There's a 3 week break in the middle of May to early to mid June where there is no CC.  He isn't playing the shorter format of the game so no point in him hanging around here. South Africa likely to arrive in Sri Lanka 20th July (roughly) and presume he will want a couple of weeks at home with his family before that tour that begins August 1, which at best leaves him free for 2 CC games. Probably not worth the money

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Super said:

Not surprised, there is a good chance Leach will be off with England, and at least one of the Overton's too (when they are not injured)

24 minutes ago, Super said:

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Not surprised, there is a good chance Leach will be off with England, and at least one of the Overton's too (when they are not injured)

I can understand Sky's prediction and, should JL and one or both of the Overtons be absent on England duties, DB and LG, inter alia, will certainly have their work cut out to get wickets, at Taunton or elsewhere.

What does surprise me, though, is last year's batting stats - to quote Sky: 

Runs were an issue for Somerset in 2017.

No one came close to 1,000 with Steve Davies (775) and James Hildreth (756) the best of a quiet bunch. 

Marcus Trescothick is still there but the runs have dried up, the 42-year-old passed fifty just three times in 27 innings last term.

I didn't realise we scored so few runs.