IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

3 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

I am Dom Bess' biggest fan with the bat - in fact I have said he will not be bowling in 2 years. He is a batsman.

But that is inexcusable from him.

Has the patience for a test 50 but not for a ball to take 1 off, brain dead 

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Has the patience for a test 50 but not for a ball to take 1 off, brain dead 

I actually thought JOVE would have the braindead moment, sadly it was the spinners although everyone has to share the blame not chasing down bloody 78 ffs!

I'm no groundsman but I wonder how difficult it is to produce a good result wicket.

I hated the days where it was 550 plays 520 at the end of day 3, I'm sure it cost us a few titles.

Something had to be done and it has, obviously this was too far but is it fine lines or is this a case of getting too greedy for a result? 

Edited by ralphindevon

Well 538 runs scored in just over 5 sessions, the run scoring rate was pretty much the same as any deck just wickets were falling. There was no variable bounce it just turned, I guess we should take a pitch inspector with us to Sri Lanka and object when it turns day 1.

11 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

There has been little wrong with most of the pitches this season - the Essex pitch almost the perfect surface. Somehow we went full blown 2016 Maynard style with this one when we should have backed our bowers on a better pitch against a side who’ve routinely been poor with the bat all season.  

I think it’s all irrelevant to a degree as another Surrey win really put it beyond us anyway 

Really we needed to go the opposite way, produce very good batting pitches to get max batting points and back our bowlers, that's the only way to think we'd have a chance to catch Surrey, not dropping all bonus points hoping we'd win.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Indeed but our batting is still sketchy at best - we need to bring in two top class batsmen over the winter is possible. We’ve got the bowlers we’ve got the all rounders we need the likes of a Stoneman to boost us. Perhaps Byron and Green can step up 

Getting an overseas player would be difficult for next summer as its the world cup so you'd need to find a test international but not ODI really. Wonder whether we may try Tom Lammonby next summer. 

On 07/09/2018 at 16:35, hodge said:

So the flip side of Taunton's pitch at Trent Bridge Notts got 448 and 93/1 v Yorkshire's 498. How does that help English bowlers? 21 wickets in 4 days and hands shook just after tea on day 4 because there's no chance of a result...

It's an interesting balancing act- we have to often face flat pitches abroad and it can prep them for that!