IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

13 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

It’s really weird, Somerset are producing the best team the county had ever seen, yet the way cricket is run now we’re never going to see the cricket in a way we used to.

For these 6-8 weeks we’re in now they should all be playing almost non stop but there’s 4 or 5 that won’t have played at all. It’s unlikely kids will ever watch red ball cricket in the school holidays like I did. Madness 

But as you say, such an exciting time for the county, well done Somerset…….with a big help from Devon…..and a little help from Cornwall

Oops, sorry, I seem to have wandered into asschat again :laughcont: , but that wasn't why I called .

Just looked at the 100 table and it appears our "local " team are not doing very well, indeed they are next to bottom with only the truly lamentable Middlesex Franchise below "us" in the table.

Well ,all I can say is............."Oh dear, how sad, never mind " ! ?

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Oops, sorry, I seem to have wandered into asschat again :laughcont: , but that wasn't why I called .

Just looked at the 100 table and it appears our "local " team are not doing very well, indeed they are next to bottom with only the truly lamentable Middlesex Franchise below "us" in the table.

Well ,all I can say is............."Oh dear, how sad, never mind " ! ?

Welsh Fire aren't local, they're a different country for goodness sake. 

I think the Birmingham lot are our locals, especially with Smeed staring 

38 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

This is about 70 more than I thought at 1 point. 

I'd forgotten Thomas existed, brilliant 

Come on, be honest.

It was at least 170 more than you thought likely when we were 104/5 ?.

In truth, I was thinking (hoping) that George Bartlett would finally come good (though, not to the extent that he did) and that we might scrape 200+, bordering 250.

I just hope the bowlers or, more pertinently, the fielders don't let us down: a win would surely be enough to see us through, especially with Glamorgan and Yorkshire playing each other in their last match.

A great day in the sun despite the result, brilliant to see the 2 George’s bat, one in desperate need to get back in form, the other came as a shock to see on the team sheet.

You can forgive Leonard’s bowling, though not sure why Brooks didn’t play. But MDL had a really bad day, just as I was warming to him. 

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Another big crowd to watch pretty much 2nd XI cricket

Something to bear in mind when one consideres that recent defeats to Northants and now Leics were against what were pretty much their first elevens.

Whatever happens tomorrow, we have blooded, with varying degrees of success, a number of youngsters, which can only bode well for the main goal, the County Championship.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Something to bear in mind when one consideres that recent defeats to Northants and now Leics were against what were pretty much their first elevens.

Whatever happens tomorrow, we have blooded, with varying degrees of success, a number of youngsters, which can only bode well for the main goal, the County Championship.

Unbelievable talent. I was thinking from now on we should ditch expensive overseas signings unless they are exceptional talent like Babar for T20s.

We’ve got more than enough talent home grown, too many times in the past an average overseas player has kept a local lad out of the team and gained us nothing

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomF said:

Well its shit or bust for both of us today I think?    I wouldn't be overly upset if we went out today, although its been great seeing these young un's its all about the CC.. 

I bame the football. Since City started last weekend Somerset have gone downhill!

7 minutes ago, TomF said:

4 I think.

Durham doing a good job on Hants so far and Glos should win against Kent. 

Glos need Lancs to lose as well don't they? Second in each group plays third in the other and winners of those games play winners of the groups in the semis.

9 minutes ago, TomF said:

Ah yeah I presumed it was QF just versus the top 4 but not the case. 

Looking at perms for Somerset -  Glamorgan need to be Yorkshire and Somerset Win, that would put them third I think, as Notts have already played 8 games.  That or Slurrey losing which doesn't seem likely

I struggle to see Somerset winning this one sadly. The young bowlers are going to need to really perform well

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomF said:

Yep feels like we're chucking this away from pretty strong position. Should have easily got 300, now will be defending about 280

The one question is will Warwickshire be thinking about trying to qualify still? It would require Surrey to lose which seems unlikely, but the calculation they need to look at is if Surrey fail to win by one run then Warwickshire need to improve their run rate a bit - I think they'd need to knock the runs off in 40.3 overs. If they take the full 50 overs then they are relying on Surrey failing to reach 180.

(Maths could be entirely wrong on those NRRs as I've done it very quickly)