IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

• Admin
1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

The wicket itself was too worn. The rumour was the club wanted to use the heavily green wicket instead. All rather odd.

James Franklin was in discussions with the umpires just before the toss, pitch literally got changed 15 minutes before the start of the game

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Not 100% sure, it happened straight after toss. You can see original pitch to be used with markings

IMG_20160711_143550.jpg

Sure, I know the change of pitch was made very late, but I just cannot imagine this being after the toss.

'Right lads, I've seen the pitch -,a complete dustbowl so we have chosen our 4 spinners'.

'Ha. That fooled them. Quick. Change the pitch for the greentop and get our seamers warmed up'.

• Like 1

• Admin

@PHILINFRANCE @Tomarse have heard the real reason now

After the teams had warmed up Chris Rogers went to look for Tim Murt who he had played cricket with in the past to say hello.

At this point it was pointed out that Tim Murt was actually in Stormont preparing to play for Ireland against Afghanistan !

Nobody at Somerset had realised that Murt had been selected to play, at this point which I am told was around 10:15-10:20 Rogers spoke with Trescothick the umpires and the groundsman and then announced that the original pitch that had been selected was now not going to be used.

The confusion was that the new pitch was marked out these discussions, so on appearance if it was as a result of dicussions with the umpires, but not for the reasons originally thought. 

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

After the teams had warmed up Chris Rogers went to look for Tim Murt who he had played cricket with in the past to say hello.

At this point it was pointed out that Tim Murt was actually in Stormont preparing to play for Ireland against Afghanistan !

Nobody at Somerset had realised that Murt had been selected to play, at this point which I am told was around 10:15-10:20 Rogers spoke with Trescothick the umpires and the groundsman and then announced that the original pitch that had been selected was now not going to be used.

The confusion was that the new pitch was marked out these discussions, so on appearance if it was as a result of dicussions with the umpires, but not for the reasons originally thought. 

That (10H15/20) would appear to make more sense.

14 minutes ago, phantom said:

Bottom line is we are going to lose again.

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I'm not so sure.

Quite a nice stand now between Tres and Joe A, the latter owes us a few, that might make hings interesting tomorrow.

Think Positive :yes: .

Yep thinking positive........... Any rain tomorrow :fingerscrossed:!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

Yep thinking positive........... Any rain tomorrow :fingerscrossed:!!

A 50 run lead already, both Ts still batting.

All things being well, a 200 run lead by close of play; a quick thrash tomorrow morning to increase the lead to 250 and then our bowlers (missing Jove, but with Jack Leach in fine form) bring us our second win of the season :fingerscrossed:  :yes:.

Sign good overseas player.... for 3 games. I really hope Somerset put better thought into the signing of overseas players for next season. Maybe actually signing players who will play full parts of campaigns, signing Rogers was fine, but we needed someone signed for the entire 50 over campaign to make up for Rogers not playing. Similar with T20, we knew Gayle could only play 6 games, wouldn't have been any good had we actually had a good qualifying and progressed, we needed 2 guys who could play the entire campaign again.