IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

Frustrating how you can see a Somerset side go from having Trescothick (in prime), Buttler, Kieswetter, Thomas, Trego (in prime) overseas players including Ponting, Smith, Langer, White, Pollard, Jayasuriya, heck even Whilloughby and Kirby were excellent for us. Yet all we hear from the club is how much money we're making yet we don't seem to see where the money is on the pitch anymore. Get a world class overseas player in for the year, get another quality T20 player in for the campaign. Go get someone like AB de Villiers, Quinton de Kock, Steve Smith, David Warner if you're looking for a batter. Someone like Trent Boult, Cummins, Starc for a bowler, just make a statement with the overseas signing for once.

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Frustrating how you can see a Somerset side go from having Trescothick (in prime), Buttler, Kieswetter, Thomas, Trego (in prime) overseas players including Ponting, Smith, Langer, White, Pollard, Jayasuriya, heck even Whilloughby and Kirby were excellent for us. Yet all we hear from the club is how much money we're making yet we don't seem to see where the money is on the pitch anymore. Get a world class overseas player in for the year, get another quality T20 player in for the campaign. Go get someone like AB de Villiers, Quinton de Kock, Steve Smith, David Warner if you're looking for a batter. Someone like Trent Boult, Cummins, Starc for a bowler, just make a statement with the overseas signing for once.

No chance they'd play over here

5 hours ago, hodge said:

If talking about England in general why not? Can't say I've seen it said anywhere they wouldn't play county cricket. 

Because when they all have the big IPL contracts, getting paid peanuts (even the big contracts over here are small in comparison) then why would they?

Gayle was the biggest name we've had over here batting in ages and only came for a few... I can't think of many top quality foreign batsman like the Warners etc that have came over here. There's literally nothing to entice them over here. Their weather is just as good in winter as it is our summer, travelling the other side of the world for 6 weeks is pointless.

In general the test playing players are away roughly 6 months a year, it would take some serious money to increase that time... Like the IPL give but we simply cannot

18 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Well even if we lose I'll just enjoy Trego piss boiling 

:clapping:

Not very good last night, was it..

I like Trego and he's certainly not the only one who's underperformed this season :grr: But if you live on Twitter your going to get the bad, aswell as the good...

Never mind, here's hoping we stave off relegation, re introduce the Weston and Bath festivals and stop our overseas player recruitment   being such a shambles in the future...

• Admin
17 hours ago, hodge said:

Simple answer --- GUY LAVENDAR !!

He was obsessesd with the county making more and more money - the new CEO Lee Cooper has already recognised this is not what it's about

We have over £6m in the bank doing nothing - time to invest !!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Players at Surrey had to go off as somebody is shooting arrows at the players???...

Too short to be used by a normal bow, but at the same time looks a bit longer than a crossbow bolt, weird. Was shot in from outside the ground so has to have been something with a bit of power behind it so would imply compound bow or crossbow. 

52 minutes ago, phantom said:

20170831_171934.jpg

This is most bizarre. The commentators of 5live extra were totally baffled by what`s gone on. 

I`ve not been to The Oval for years - is it overlooked by flats or anything? If not, it pretty much had to come from within the ground - they were making the point about the size of the outfield and how it fetched up ten yards from the square to try and give an idea of the power involved so being fired from high up would be my guess.

I reckon some guilt-ridden absent father has bought his 13 year old son a crossbow for his birthday.  I can just imagine little Toby being bollocked to high heaven after accidentally lobbing into the Oval the only bolt that daddy bought.  A proper middle-class drama.

Oh well, at least the story will entertain the neighbours at next month's supper club.

22 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

This is most bizarre. The commentators of 5live extra were totally baffled by what`s gone on. 

I`ve not been to The Oval for years - is it overlooked by flats or anything? If not, it pretty much had to come from within the ground - they were making the point about the size of the outfield and how it fetched up ten yards from the square to try and give an idea of the power involved so being fired from high up would be my guess.

Not really, crossbows are insanely powerful, they can travel hundred metres plus easy when aimed flat, dread to think how far they could go when aimed at an angle.