IGNORED

Bs From Bp?

What do you find wrong with this statement EMB...?

If you actually did some research yourself, you will find Styvar started his career as a Left sided defensive midfielder.

It wasn't until he moved to Zlina, that they used him in a more advanced roll...eventually being used as a forward.

He's obviously been used in various positions during his career.

If the guy couldn't speak English and somethings get lost in translation with other languages, then you can understand the written piece.

It was very evident for us all to see that Styvar wasn't a 'natural' forward.

Even Walshie says the same thing after seeing him in training everyday.

Yes he scored 30 goals for Zlina in one season....in the Slovakian league...

Surely any sane person can see this was one of our worst signings ever...especially with the money spent.

Wouldn't you agree?

You seem to be conveniently side stepping the issue, I am well aware that he was a left back turned left midfielder turned striker, I am well aware that his goals were in the Slovakian league, I am also well aware he wasn't a natural born striker and I am even more well aware he was a disastrous signing. I didn't need to research that, it's all out there.

The issue is about the 'story' it was clearly un-researched by the said journalist and any 'lost in translation' remarks made by the player, could have been cleared up by said research, part of his job as a journalist I would say, the only person who actually needed to do any research was the journalist.

This story was one of several from the same journalist aimed at BCFC and the GJ era particularly, the piece was always going to be an embarrassment to the club, we all know that, but the youtube clip clearly shows that he clearly played as a striker in most if not all of those games, so the claim that his only appearance as a striker was against Villa is untrue but was still printed and it is just a little more than an error.

That is clearly bad journalism.

Wouldn't you agree?.

FWIW I'm less than sure Stockhausen is that competent a sports journalist. He fell for SOD'S bs for one thing.

I rarely read the Post, but when I've looked at match reports I often think I've been at a different game to the guy.

That said, his has not been an easy task. Adam Baker's great, but the club's hardly been the most media friendly of outfits in the past. Even our beloved Cotts is quite a difficult, defensive and guarded interviewee.

You seem to be conveniently side stepping the issue, I am well aware that he was a left back turned left midfielder turned striker, I am well aware that his goals were in the Slovakian league, I am also well aware he wasn't a natural born striker and I am even more well aware he was a disastrous signing. I didn't need to research that, it's all out there.

The issue is about the 'story' it was clearly un-researched by the said journalist and any 'lost in translation' remarks made by the player, could have been cleared up by said research, part of his job as a journalist I would say, the only person who actually needed to do any research was the journalist.

This story was one of several from the same journalist aimed at BCFC and the GJ era particularly, the piece was always going to be an embarrassment to the club, we all know that, but the youtube clip clearly shows that he clearly played as a striker in most if not all of those games, so the claim that his only appearance as a striker was against Villa is untrue but was still printed and it is just a little more than an error.

That is clearly bad journalism.

Wouldn't you agree?.

I think we read things differently...he was pressed into being a Striker that night owing to injuries.

I really do think it's nit picking...as he wasn't a natural striker and had played the majority of his previous career as a midfielder or defender.

Even Alan Walsh noticed he wasn't a natural striker.

The gist of the article is to show how little research and scouting the Club did on the player.

If you take the main gist of the article, instead of looking for small mistakes, then i'm sure you'll find what he was trying to say.

Is it just me or have you just mixed up a selection of words ,real and imaginary , and posted them for our reading pleasure ?

I think his record player is on the blink and he's getting a new stylus off of e-bay.

I'd say Bradshaw was my predpfered choice, if we're desperate for Griggs sign styluses then bay e we could use Agards as a makeweight?

Is it just me or have you just mixed up a selection of words ,real and imaginary , and posted them for our reading pleasure ?

I think his record player is on the blink and he's getting a new stylus off of e-bay.

Could be on strong cider or YorkshireS could be on Ilkla Moor Baht'at ...

Whatever it is I want some..:)

I think we read things differently...he was pressed into being a Striker that night owing to injuries.

I really do think it's nit picking...as he wasn't a natural striker and had played the majority of his previous career as a midfielder or defender.

Even Alan Walsh noticed he wasn't a natural striker.

The gist of the article is to show how little research and scouting the Club did on the player.

If you take the main gist of the article, instead of looking for small mistakes, then i'm sure you'll find what he was trying to say.

So claiming he only 'EVER' played as a striker the night he scored against Villa, when actually he played as a striker the whole season over 40 games, is 'nit picking or a small mistake'?.

You are as I understand it a skiing instructor, it is tantamount to me writing a 90% truthful article but adding of course this guy has only ever been skiing on snow once in his whole life, which I suspect is far removed from the truth.

The article up to the point of his ridiculous and wrong claim is all true and valid and exposed what you many others knew about the scandalous situation at the club, I have already said as much, it seems to me that the inaccurate claim amounts to an embellishment to twist the knife, an embellishment that wasn't needed, the point had been made.

So claiming he only 'EVER' played as a striker the night he scored against Villa, when actually he played as a striker the whole season over 40 games, is 'nit picking or a small mistake'?.

You are as I understand it a skiing instructor, it is tantamount to me writing a 90% truthful article but adding of course this guy has only ever been skiing on snow once in his whole life, which I suspect is far removed from the truth.

The article up to the point of his ridiculous and wrong claim is all true and valid and exposed what you many others knew about the scandalous situation at the club, I have already said as much, it seems to me that the inaccurate claim amounts to an embellishment to twist the knife, an embellishment that wasn't needed, the point had been made.

He never played for Zenit as a Striker for the whole season...so you've got your facts wrong again fella.

He played in an advanced left-sided midfield role, similar if you want to what Freeman does for us. He was only pressed into service as an out and out striker for that one game against Villa owing to injuries. Which is true. He then played in that role on more occasions.

It helps if you get your facts right when criticising others. Your quick to dish it out...but if you are going to, make sure you get yours right first mate.

He never played for Zenit as a Striker for the whole season...so you've got your facts wrong again fella.

He played in an advanced left-sided midfield role, similar if you want to what Freeman does for us. He was only pressed into service as an out and out striker for that one game against Villa owing to injuries. Which is true. He then played in that role on more occasions.

It helps if you get your facts right when criticising others. Your quick to dish it out...but if you are going to, make sure you get yours right first mate.

I would like to see your evidence for this fact. if it's a fact then there must be evidence.

At the time tho we were throwing good money after bad and he fee we paid was seen as a lot

But as you say we learnt if he turned out to be the next Bob Taylor he'd be a legend but he wasn't

Swings and round about a and just highlights the danger is foreign transfer

I'd be happy if we never signed anyone from Europe again to be honest

I wouldn't. I never want to see a City team full of foreigners, and we should ensure we never sign the likes of Styvar again

But with a much improved scouting system now in place Styvar-like blunders would be far less likely and City should always be on the lookout for foreign bargains.

We're putting ourselves at a huge disadvantage by letting the odd poor signing from abroad in the past dictate our future transfer policy.

Howlers can be made with domestic signings ( N.Hunt, D. Stewart etc.) just as easily as foreign signings and they're usually a far more expensive mistake.

It's good idea if they speak English and are suited to the English climate and the British style of play, all of which should help them settle in. If that's the case the scouts should back their judgement by recommending them to the club and City should have no hesitation in signing them if they are seen as suitable.

Presumably you'd be OK with signing foreigners who'd already proved their worth with another domestic club - the drawback there of course is they'd no doubt be a lot more expensive at that stage.

I wouldn't. I never want to see a City team full of foreigners, and we should ensure we never sign the likes of Styvar again

But with a much improved scouting system now in place Styvar-like blunders would be far less likely and City should always be on the lookout for foreign bargains.

We're putting ourselves at a huge disadvantage by letting the odd poor signing from abroad in the past dictate our future transfer policy.

Howlers can be made with domestic signings ( N.Hunt, D. Stewart etc.) just as easily as foreign signings and they're usually a far more expensive mistake.

It's good idea if they speak English and are suited to the English climate and the British style of play, all of which should help them settle in. If that's the case the scouts should back their judgement by recommending them to the club and City should have no hesitation in signing them if they are seen as suitable.

Presumably you'd be OK with signing foreigners who'd already proved their worth with another domestic club - the drawback there of course is they'd no doubt be a lot more expensive at that stage.

Exactly, ridiculous to suggest we shouldn't sign ANYONE foreign.

All good points, Noggers.

Cotts and Burt have been extremely canny with their signings, but the higher you get up the ladder the harder it gets to find genuine bargains. We need to keep all options open.

"I suspect he is kept at arms length".

Here is a direct quote from Steve Cotterill's programme notes from the final game of the season:

"It's those guys who I see week in, week out from the local press that I've become close to. I'd like to thank Richard Hoskin and his BBC Radio Bristol team, Andy Stockhausen from the Bristol Post, and our own in-house media department, led by Adam Baker, for all their support".

....not sure you should be accusing Stockhausen of not doing his research before publishing.

Considering managers (bar SOD) don't even write their own programme notes that's hardly compelling evidence of anything.

Archived