IGNORED

Mcinnes New Rangers Manager

Bar BS3

Doesn't seem to be clear cut just yet. . . .http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33051841

There are five candidates for the manager's job at Rangers, according to chairman Dave King.

And he has ruled out the possibility of the club immediately introducing a director of football.

"There were potential managers who dropped out of the race because we are still in the Championship," said King.

Pledging to spend "whatever it takes" to win promotion next term, King said an announcement on the manager is unlikely to be made this week.

Stuart McCall took over from Kenny McDowall in March, steering Rangers to a third place finish in the table and the play-off final, where they lost out to his former club Motherwell.

King praised McCall's "fantastic attitude" and stressed that failure to get promoted was "not viewed negatively".

Former Brentford boss Mark Warburton has confirmed that he has spoken to Rangers and would bring former Rangers captain Davie Weir as his assistant, if successful.

"We will need money now to beef up the squad," said King, who led a successful boardroom takeover in March.

"We need players to be competitive in Premier League, so there will be substantial investment in next months. It may be necessary to over-invest."

Isn't that what got them in trouble in the first place.

It may be true or what REDOXO's heard from afar might be cobblers Woodsy. Anyway, I've heard quite the opposite, he was very popular at AG, and SL in particular liked him and was very impressed with the way he went about his work on a daily basis.

Of course, those at 'AG daily who thought he was a git' may include a number of players who helped McInnes on his way by deciding to stop playing for him - just as the same rotten nucleus decided they didn't want to play for GJ or Millen in their final weeks.

McInnes finally lost faith and patience with them after the Leicester debacle and publicly stated a number of them had played their last game for BCFC under his management and he'd be replacing them with youngsters from there on in.

He clearly did make a number of mistakes as well as poor signings and his inexperience was exposed in managing City at a very difficult time for the club.

The bitterness displayed by some posters towards him on here is surprising - as far as I'm concerned 70% of the blame for his downfall goes to the underperforming players, and in a more normal situation where he inherits a less bile ridden dressing room packed with dead wood he'll do very well.

Right man, wrong time absolutely fits the bill with Del.

SL may have been impressed with McInnes initially (he hired him), however after having fired a lot of staff bringing in old pro's at great expense to coach a team on his dime into almost abject failure, do you not feel he may have wondered a bit.

Jody Morris what was that all about and the brilliance of some of his other signings, which player did he actually bring in that was any good?....It was all eventually seen to be nuts.

This all lead to his eventual firing the 5 pillars and a complete change in the clubs attitude to everything....This is all pretty much historical fact!

McInnes was the wrong man at the wrong time....St Johnston to the championship was to big a stretch and this is why again our managers since then have been more experienced and our signings by and large excellent with the possible exception of Adam El Abd and to a less extent Jordan Wynter....The only thing I can thank McInness for is SL finally got pissed off with funding w ankers and woke the f uck up. Thanks DM

Build a club don't buy one. McInnes apologists will scream what about Fontaine, Elliot not doing it and what other dross hewas left with by GJ and Millen, that has some resinance but so does having Pitman Stead, Bolaise AA complemented by what he brought in!!!...Yeah genius.

The clubs attitude now is as a direct result of McInnes, thank god for a good team a good manager a good structure (and a new ground...).

Maybe McInnes will one day be seen as a great manager, but this will be at least partially for his failure at AG and what he learned not to cock up!

As for being Mr Popular he rarely recognized the fans when singing his name and our performances on the pitch were awful...

This guy's team cleared AG more times by half time than any other manager in our memory NTB. Popular men get results and nurture a team ethic....Please see SC/AD/GJ McInnes nurtured a culture of boring football played 451 at home and the players by and large got fed up with playing MCInnes wet dream and getting beat every week which they were almost inevitably were, because the ball never stuck up front, the ones who could actually play were left with no faith in him no confidence in his coaches and eventually their own ability....Pitman would have crawled back to Bournemouth, Bolaise could not get a kick and was prepared to walk to Palace, where decent coaching and an attacking style turned him into the hottest property in English football

As for Sources (Woodsy)...When you have been around the club as long as I have you know people despite where you live most of the time (NTB)! They are not sources like Deep Throat (Watergate) in a parking garage they are friends et al and they wont end up on here.

McInnes was a mistake of major proportions not a myth of misguided brilliance let down by senior pros

Hope this all helps!

I will never forgive Mccinnes for signing Ricky Forster.  By far the worst City player I have seen in my time.  His performance when we played Ipswich away that season was diabolical.

Worse than Nicky Hunt at leeds?

I will never forgive Mccinnes for signing Ricky Forster. By far the worst City player I have seen in my time. His performance when we played Ipswich away that season was diabolical.

He wasn't even anywhere near the worst player that McInnes signed, Mark Wilson was much worse and who can forget the amazing contributions of both Deikel Keinan and Danny Wilson?, they really earned their wages whilst on loan, plus of course the years money we paid to Jody Morris for two starts..

He wasn't even anywhere near the worst player that McInnes signed, Mark Wilson was much worse and who can forget the amazing contributions of both Deikel Keinan and Scott Wilson?, they really earned their wages whilst on loan, plus of course the years money we paid to Jody Morris for two starts..

I am sure you are right, Graham.  I didn't actually attend many games that season but the Forster performance sticks in my mind.  He was literally chasing shadows.  Pretty sure JET had a blinder for the tractor boys that day as well.

He wasn't even anywhere near the worst player that McInnes signed, Mark Wilson was much worse and who can forget the amazing contributions of both Deikel Keinan and Danny Wilson?, they really earned their wages whilst on loan, plus of course the years money we paid to Jody Morris for two starts..

To be fair, Jody Morris played in a pre season friendly against the Gas And nearly decapitated one of their players with a late tackle, I believe he has never really received sufficient praise for that.

Of course it does, but your earlier post seemed to be implying that you wouldn't want any Scotsman around City on the grounds that they would be crap, because they were Scottish!

What I actually said was that I hope we never take another punt on someone who has only done well in Scotland before and hasn't proven themselves in what amounts to nothing better than a pub league.

I'd happily miss out on the 1 in 100 Scottish gems to avoid the many costly mistakes that usually head south of the boarder.

Just seen on BBC that Del has landed the Rangers job.

It's strange that he just couldn't seem to get to grips with things down here but does well in Scotland.

Maybe it was the language barrier.

Have I missed something? Rangers haven't appointed a new manager yet?!

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/rangers-poised-to-unveil-new-manager-this-week-as-odds-shorten-on-mark-warburton-taki.128271877

Ricky Foster was absolute rubbish. So was Mark Wilson. Never saw Keinan or Wilson play so can't comment. The thought of Foster in a City shirt gives me nightmares. Atrocious footballer. The only worse full-back I've seen at the Gate is Nicky Hunt. 

Ricky Foster was absolute rubbish. So was Mark Wilson. Never saw Keinan or Wilson play so can't comment. The thought of Foster in a City shirt gives me nightmares. Atrocious footballer. The only worse full-back I've seen at the Gate is Nicky Hunt. 

Haha, but what about the time McInnes tried playing him in midfield.

He looked like someone from the crowd who'd wandered on the pitch by mistake.

A new definition - a non-utility player.

McInnes finally lost faith and patience with them after the Leicester debacle and publicly stated a number of them had played their last game for BCFC under his management and he'd be replacing them with youngsters from there on in.

I've heard a lot of people say this, but I never saw/heard his post-match interview. Was it never published and is this hearsay or did I miss it?

Haha, but what about the time McInnes tried playing him in midfield.

He looked like someone from the crowd who'd wandered on the pitch by mistake.

A new definition - a non-utility player.

I missed that one! Sounds comical though.

I saw highlights of Rangers-Motherwell last week and he stood out in that game too, for all the wrong reasons. Sunday League footballer.

I've heard a lot of people say this, but I never saw/heard his post-match interview. Was it never published and is this hearsay or did I miss it?

You must have missed it RJ, it was on Radio Bristol after the game.

McInnes left no one in any doubt whatsoever how he felt about some of the players. He was uncharacteristically furious - some experienced players had now let him down for the last time and wouldn't be picked under him again.

Evidently no one had made him aware that many had underperformed in exactly the same way towards the end of both GJ's and Millen's reigns.

SL may have been impressed with McInnes initially (he hired him), however after having fired a lot of staff bringing in old pro's at great expense to coach a team on his dime into almost abject failure, do you not feel he may have wondered a bit.

Jody Morris what was that all about and the brilliance of some of his other signings, which player did he actually bring in that was any good?....It was all eventually seen to be nuts.

This all lead to his eventual firing the 5 pillars and a complete change in the clubs attitude to everything....This is all pretty much historical fact!

McInnes was the wrong man at the wrong time....St Johnston to the championship was to big a stretch and this is why again our managers since then have been more experienced and our signings by and large excellent with the possible exception of Adam El Abd and to a less extent Jordan Wynter....The only thing I can thank McInness for is SL finally got pissed off with funding w ankers and woke the f uck up. Thanks DM

Build a club don't buy one. McInnes apologists will scream what about Fontaine, Elliot not doing it and what other dross hewas left with by GJ and Millen, that has some resinance but so does having Pitman Stead, Bolaise AA complemented by what he brought in!!!...Yeah genius.

The clubs attitude now is as a direct result of McInnes, thank god for a good team a good manager a good structure (and a new ground...).

Maybe McInnes will one day be seen as a great manager, but this will be at least partially for his failure at AG and what he learned not to cock up!

As for being Mr Popular he rarely recognized the fans when singing his name and our performances on the pitch were awful...

This guy's team cleared AG more times by half time than any other manager in our memory NTB. Popular men get results and nurture a team ethic....Please see SC/AD/GJ McInnes nurtured a culture of boring football played 451 at home and the players by and large got fed up with playing MCInnes wet dream and getting beat every week which they were almost inevitably were, because the ball never stuck up front, the ones who could actually play were left with no faith in him no confidence in his coaches and eventually their own ability....Pitman would have crawled back to Bournemouth, Bolaise could not get a kick and was prepared to walk to Palace, where decent coaching and an attacking style turned him into the hottest property in English football

As for Sources (Woodsy)...When you have been around the club as long as I have you know people despite where you live most of the time (NTB)! They are not sources like Deep Throat (Watergate) in a parking garage they are friends et al and they wont end up on here.

McInnes was a mistake of major proportions not a myth of misguided brilliance let down by senior pros

Hope this all helps!

No, it doesn't help I'm afraid, not one bit.

The above is simply your view, or more likely that of a few friends of yours who were watching City regularly at the time.

The fact you refuse to take into account the disgraceful underperforming of some senior pros. who the manager should have been able to trust to always give 100%, and therefore recognise that it is they who should be damned, far more than the manager, undermines everything else you say, and makes all your other points - each one of them very debatable btw - superfluous.

I fully accept Del made a number of honest mistakes ( some signings were indeed dreadful) but his main downfall was in not having the inclination and determination to disperse the poisonous vapours of a rancid dressing room until it was too late. I can forgive him for all of that because there was absolutely no doubt about his commitment to the job or his hard work.

Those contemptible players who decided to stop giving 100% for BCFC and it's supporters however - and not for the first time in some cases - I will never forgive.

The above is simply your view, or more likely that of a few friends of yours who were watching City regularly at the time.

The fact you refuse to take into account the disgraceful underperforming of some senior pros. who the manager should have been able to trust to always give 100%, and therefore recognise that it is they who should be damned, far more than the manager, undermines everything else you say, and makes all your other points - each one of them very debatable btw - superfluous.

I fully accept Del made a number of honest mistakes ( some signings were indeed dreadful) but his main downfall was in not having the inclination and determination to disperse the poisonous vapours of a rancid dressing room until it was too late. I can forgive him for all of that because there was absolutely no doubt about his commitment to the job or his hard work.

Those contemptible players who decided to stop giving 100% for BCFC and it's supporters however - and not for the first time in some cases - I will never forgive.

You don't know me!...

The disgraceful underperforming was as much about the players and coaches he brought in as you trying to blame Fontaine and Elliot for this guy being clueless. We got beaten every week often by half time and you only have to read the last few posts talking about his crap signings to show everyone saw it except you and one or two notable others.... 

The fact he spent huge sums of money of the major shareholders money to coach this club and bring in players is lost on you...he was backed with money until it became ridiculous.

So rancid dressing room is to blame....He is the manager if there is problem that's his job. So he failed to do it there too.

1 We were awful

2 We lost by ridiculous scorelines

3 He spent stupid amounts of money firing people and bringing in people with no affinity with this club

4 He didn't have the determination or inclination to manage the dressing room "QUOTE"...You in there too were you? (I don't know you either)

5 We Played 1 up at home and got stuffed nearly every week

6 His signings were dreadful (who was any good)

MANAGEMENT is the art of getting things done through people....He got nothing done anywhere pretty much by your own admission...And couldn't run a dressing room according to you!....Wake up and move on NTB

The Guy's ability here was/is a myth in the heads of one or two

I'd have more sympathy for the view that the players weren't to blame if we hadn't seen them do exactly the same thing under previous managers.

Plus; hadn't he managed them for over a year at that point?

And a fair few of the players he was using regularly were his signings too. In fact eight if the thirteen players he used against Leicester were players he brought to the club, which for me is a pretty big sign of how awful his transfer dealings were, rather than of a hardcore of malcontents forcing him out.

I'm not going to say he's the worst manager ever, or hasn't done well with Aberdeen in the context of that league system, but I don't understand why people feel so keen on excusing his failings, which were myriad and very clear to see.

Yes; the players undoubtably bare a lot of blame for the way that season turned out, but he had three transfer windows, one full summer, brought in a number of his own staff, and was clearly allowed a half decent transfer kitty - he unfortunately failed here due to his lack of management ability, not some conspiracy or cabal operating against him.

You don't know me!...

The disgraceful underperforming was as much about the players and coaches he brought in as you trying to blame Fontaine and Elliot for this guy being clueless. We got beaten every week often by half time and you only have to read the last few posts talking about his crap signings to show everyone saw it except you and one or two notable others....

The fact he spent huge sums of money of the major shareholders money to coach this club and bring in players is lost on you...he was backed with money until it became ridiculous.

So rancid dressing room is to blame....He is the manager if there is problem that's his job. So he failed to do it there too.

1 We were awful

3 He spent stupid amounts of money firing people and bringing in people with no affinity with this club

4 He didn't have the determination or inclination to manage the dressing room "QUOTE"...You in there too were you? (I don't know you either)

MANAGEMENT is the art of getting things done through people....He got nothing done anywhere pretty much by your own admission...And couldn't run a dressing room according to you!....Wake up and move on NTB

If I performed at work like Fontaine, Foster, Nyatanga, Skuse, McGivern etc did I would get the sack. The funny thing is some of them played shit for 4 managers not just McInnes.

McInnes from what I know was one of the hardest working managers we have had to improve this club so he gets my forgiveness for that, he just wasnt the right man.

Fontaine and Skuse were not awful for four managers. Simply not true. Fontaine completely lost form/confidence and Skuse has had two seasons in the Championships subsequently.

Richard Foster was signed by McInnes. Nyatanga spent periods on loan but was never much better than ok. McGivern was signed by McInnes.

As the bloke above said, the core of the team were his players, so its hard to accept there was a players conspiracy unless you accept the principle he made bad signings with limited management ability while in the process of spending wedge loads of money on players and sacking existing staff...

No one is doubting his work ethic. His abilities while here are more suspect!! Improving the club sometimes means getting relegated I accept that, but that was not what he was being paid to do....He did not improve the club just got us in a hopeless relegation fight. Does anyone survive from the McInnes side in any capacity at the club...I'm not sure?

Either way McInnes ineptitude in every department was the start of the renaissance of this club, that I am thankful for!

Fontaine and Skuse were not awful for four managers. Simply not true. Fontaine completely lost form/confidence and Skuse has had two seasons in the Championships subsequently.

Richard Foster was signed by McInnes. Nyatanga spent periods on loan but was never much better than ok. McGivern was signed by McInnes.

As the bloke above said, the core of the team were his players, so its hard to accept there was a players conspiracy unless you accept the principle he made bad signings with limited management ability while in the process of spending wedge loads of money on players and sacking existing staff...

No one is doubting his work ethic. His abilities while here are more suspect!! Improving the club sometimes means getting relegated I accept that, but that was not what he was being paid to do....He did not improve the club just got us in a hopeless relegation fight. Does anyone survive from the McInnes side in any capacity at the club...I'm not sure?

Either way McInnes ineptitude in every department was the start of the renaissance of this club, that I am thankful for!

Am I wrong in thinking McGivern was signed on loan by Millen not McInnes? Plus McInnes also signed Baldock and also Cunningham for a fairly low price, so his recruitment wasn't all round awful, but his tactics did leave a lot to be desired!

The fact you refuse to take into account the disgraceful underperforming of some senior pros. who the manager should have been able to trust to always give 100%, and therefore recognise that it is they who should be damned, far more than the manager, undermines everything else you say, and makes all your other points - each one of them very debatable btw - superfluous.

I'm interested to know who these players were noggers that were so poisonous in the dressing room? Care to name any?

I think it's safe to say that Del was at fault for an awful lot more than "many honest" mistakes and under performing players.

You don't know me!...

The disgraceful underperforming was as much about the players and coaches he brought in as you trying to blame Fontaine and Elliot for this guy being clueless. We got beaten every week often by half time and you only have to read the last few posts talking about his crap signings to show everyone saw it except you and one or two notable others.... 

1 We were awful

MANAGEMENT is the art of getting things done through people....He got nothing done anywhere pretty much by your own admission...And couldn't run a dressing room according to you!....Wake up and move on NTB

Ah, so some didn't like the coaches so decided not to play? That's fine then, all forgiven!

Let's be clear here, You're the one naming names, not me - the one's you mention may or may not be amongst the ones I had in mind

We were awful, lost by ridiculous scorelines? We were certainly inconsistent - but for every Blackburn, Wolves, Leicester defeat we also saw sound spankings of the likes of Cardiff, Crystal Palace and Peterboro', when we looked the equal of any team in the division.

All dreadful signings? Not at all, Baldock and Davies were fine, as was Anderson. Defensively, he couldn't get any of the players he wanted, McFadzean may have been the answer but when he fell ill (but we still intended to sign him when recovered) McManus proved a poor stop gap, and I agree several others simply weren't up to it.

As for him spending ridiculous amounts of money, no, I can't agree, nothing was spent without the agreement of those in financial control and of course McInnes should take some credit for starting the unpopular process - in the dressing room, that is, of clearing the dead wood.

I don't need a lecture in management btw- if a core element of your key staff - who will inevitably have a big effect on the attitude of others - are not pulling their weight, and, crucially, you can't get rid of them, that is an extra intolerable burden in what was already a difficult job which it's not surprising may prove insurmountable to a young manager who should at the very least should have been able to rely on their loyalty to the club and fans, if not to him.

Yes, there were poor signings, some games where we were over run, and some baffling tinkering - to those of us on the outside - all that is true, but you are not willing to give him any credit for the good signings he made, some exciting thumpings City handed out under his management, the start he made on clearing the dead wood, or take into account the difficulties posed by some rebellious senior players who had history of undermining managers.

It's not all black and white. Not all his signings were poor, we didn't often lose by ridiculous scorelines, we certainly weren't always awful. The intriguing thing about you is you are so 100% damning of McInnes when we know you live abroad so it's unlikely you were able to see many of the games yourself.

If you genuinely know more than the rest of us - not just hearsay from a few mates - that makes you so vitriolic and unsympathetic towards McInnes, perhaps you could enlighten us, because as someone who saw the games and can take into account the whole picture, I find your animated responses every time the subject crops up more than a little puzzling.

I'm interested to know who these players were noggers that were so poisonous in the dressing room? Care to name any?

I think it's safe to say that Del was at fault for an awful lot more than "many honest" mistakes and under performing players.

It's not a case of naming individuals T10, the actual cabal may have evolved between GJ and Del's time, though no doubt a few would have have been constant.

The point is after succeeding in removing GJ, there may have been a legacy in the dressing room that continued through Millen and McInnes, that the players were now aware they could underperform for periods if it suited them and that when push came to shove the manager would be the one to go, not them.

Archived