IGNORED

Mcinnes New Rangers Manager

Bar BS3

I'm interested to know who these players were noggers that were so poisonous in the dressing room? Care to name any?

I think it's safe to say that Del was at fault for an awful lot more than "many honest" mistakes and under performing players.

I would hazard a guess at Kilkenny.

Ah, so some didn't like the coaches so decided not to play? That's fine then, all forgiven!

Let's be clear here, You're the one naming names, not me - the one's you mention may or may not be amongst the ones I had in mind

We were awful, lost by ridiculous scorelines? We were certainly inconsistent - but for every Blackburn, Wolves, Leicester defeat we also saw sound spankings of the likes of Cardiff, Crystal Palace and Peterboro', when we looked the equal of any team in the division.

All dreadful signings? Not at all, Baldock and Davies were fine, as was Anderson. Defensively, he couldn't get any of the players he wanted, McFadzean may have been the answer but when he fell ill (but we still intended to sign him when recovered) McManus proved a poor stop gap, and I agree several others simply weren't up to it.

As for him spending ridiculous amounts of money, no, I can't agree, nothing was spent without the agreement of those in financial control and of course McInnes should take some credit for starting the unpopular process - in the dressing room, that is, of clearing the dead wood.

I don't need a lecture in management btw- if a core element of your key staff - who will inevitably have a big effect on the attitude of others - are not pulling their weight, and, crucially, you can't get rid of them, that is an extra intolerable burden in what was already a difficult job which it's not surprising may prove insurmountable to a young manager who should at the very least should have been able to rely on their loyalty to the club and fans, if not to him.

Yes, there were poor signings, some games where we were over run, and some baffling tinkering - to those of us on the outside - all that is true, but you are not willing to give him any credit for the good signings he made, some exciting thumpings City handed out under his management, the start he made on clearing the dead wood, or take into account the difficulties posed by some rebellious senior players who had history of undermining managers.

It's not all black and white. Not all his signings were poor, we didn't often lose by ridiculous scorelines, we certainly weren't always awful. The intriguing thing about you is you are so 100% damning of McInnes when we know you live abroad so it's unlikely you were able to see many of the games yourself.

If you genuinely know more than the rest of us - not just hearsay from a few mates - that makes you so vitriolic and unsympathetic towards McInnes, perhaps you could enlighten us, because as someone who saw the games and can take into account the whole picture, I find your animated responses every time the subject crops up more than a little puzzling.

What are you on about.

He was fired because he/we were dreadful and we were getting relegated.

I didn't name names I responded to another poster who did. But you consistently say players would not play for him and had a personal problem with him or our club, but not list them. Go ahead name them. How many were the ones he signed or is it all Millen and GJ's fault....Please.!

Of course he was granted the money. The major shareholder backed his man to bring the club success. (who in his right mind would spend his own money on Foster et al).

I give him credit for pushing us to the edge of oblivion and not being able to handle his own players, by your own admission he was unable to handle the dressing room (but give us no examples so clearly you were never in there to be in a position to know), but you seem to want to make that a redeeming quality.  Obviously you do need a lecture on management by the way.

I see and know plenty and almost certainly see/saw more play than you ever did of the dressing room in training or match day.

You seem to think me and you having a couple of friendly private conversations with me gives you some kind of knowledge of me. Again you don't.

The guy was simply awful lost the plot on and off the field fired loads of our existing staff signed bad players and took us to the edge of relegation....I think that's enough to get up any ones nose. What intrigues me is every time the subject comes up you make excuses for a guy who thoroughly deserved to be fired and was. Thank God!

It's not a case of naming individuals T10, the actual cabal may have evolved between GJ and Del's time, though no doubt a few would have have been constant.

The point is after succeeding in removing GJ, there may have been a legacy in the dressing room that continued through Millen and McInnes, that the players were now aware they could underperform for periods if it suited them and that when push came to shove the manager would be the one to go, not them.

Like you I can't forgive any players not giving 100% for the club over a sustained period. I also have no doubt that until this season the majority of those in the changing room would have had a losing mentality.

However by the start of his second season in charge, Del more or less had a side that he built himself albeit a very bad one. I just honestly can't see any defence for Del during his time here and I certainly don't believe the main reason for his failures was certain players letting him down.

What are you on about.

He was fired because he/we were dreadful and we were getting relegated.

I didn't name names I responded to another poster who did. But you consistently say players would not play for him and had a personal problem with him or our club, but not list them. Go ahead name them. How many were the ones he signed or is it all Millen and GJ's fault....Please.!

Of course he was granted the money. The major shareholder backed his man to bring the club success. (who in his right mind would spend his own money on Foster et al).

I give him credit for pushing us to the edge of oblivion and not being able to handle his own players, by your own admission he was unable to handle the dressing room (but give us no examples so clearly you were never in there to be in a position to know), but you seem to want to make that a redeeming quality.  Obviously you do need a lecture on management by the way.

I see and know plenty and almost certainly see/saw more play than you ever did of the dressing room in training or match day.

You seem to think me and you having a couple of friendly private conversations with me gives you some kind of knowledge of me. Again you don't.

The guy was simply awful lost the plot on and off the field fired loads of our existing staff signed bad players and took us to the edge of relegation....I think that's enough to get up any ones nose. What intrigues me is every time the subject comes up you make excuses for a guy who thoroughly deserved to be fired and was. Thank God!

We apparently had a shared experience following City at the Valley in 75/76 and have both at some time frequented The Imp. Apart from that I don't profess any knowledge of you whatsoever, though as you've made it clear you've lived in America for many years I've assumed you were unable to attend AG regularly during McInnes' tenure.

Anyway, I'm content that I countered many of the points you've made in this thread re. performances, signings etc. in my previous post.

I had no expectation anything I said would change your obviously entrenched view, and I'm certainly not going to change mine.

Nothing more to be said.

Like you I can't forgive any players not giving 100% for the club over a sustained period. I also have no doubt that until this season the majority of those in the changing room would have had a losing mentality.

However by the start of his second season in charge, Del more or less had a side that he built himself albeit a very bad one. I just honestly can't see any defence for Del during his time here and I certainly don't believe the main reason for his failures was certain players letting him down.

Fair enough T10.

I've said all I'm going to say on the matter.

McInnes takes credit for keeping us up in his first season as we looked doomed under Millen. The fact is though the club were on a slippery slope since the GJ days and then Coppell disaster. The club took their eye off the football side of the club and were instead tied up in the AV saga.

When McInnes was here the club was being run very badly. Constant boardroom as well as other staffing changes.

McInnes had no support whatsoever from anyone at the club and felt like he was on his own and I think realised himself he needed help.

I think I'm right in saying he had 2 or 3 scouts at his disposal - compare that to now!

We were a C'ship club being run like a L2 one.

He was out of his depth yes, but not helped at all by the infrastructure around him. It was a recipe for disaster.

These hysterical anti-McInnes posts show a complete failure to take account of the context of where the club was 3-4 years ago.

So, yes actually, there is quite a compelling case for the defence of McInnes in some respects.

What can't be defended is his constant tinkering with the team and he turned down the opportunity to sign Flint - tho maybe we'll have to wait until next season to see if that was a good call or not, tho I know what my money's on!

We apparently had a shared experience following City at the Valley in 75/76 and have both at some time frequented The Imp. Apart from that I don't profess any knowledge of you whatsoever, though as you've made it clear you've lived in America for many years I've assumed you were unable to attend AG regularly during McInnes' tenure.

Anyway, I'm content that I countered many of the points you've made in this thread re. performances, signings etc. in my previous post.

I had no expectation anything I said would change your obviously entrenched view, and I'm certainly not going to change mine.

Nothing more to be said.

Good to know that you don't profess any knowledge of me. Unfortunately that was not the implication you made in quite a few posts regarding 'my mates'

I have lived mainly in the USA many years but I am in the happy position that I can go to games although that was curtailed under McInnes because we were crap and the earlier death of my father, who's ashes are spread at Ashton Court looking at the ground!.

Under SC this season I made it home for some home and away games. I was also at the LDV and at the Wallsall game...You now have a little more knowledge of me and my position.

Now there is nothing more to be said by me!

McInnes takes credit for keeping us up in his first season as we looked doomed under Millen. The fact is though the club were on a slippery slope since the GJ days and then Coppell disaster. The club took their eye off the football side of the club and were instead tied up in the AV saga.

When McInnes was here the club was being run very badly. Constant boardroom as well as other staffing changes.

McInnes had no support whatsoever from anyone at the club and felt like he was on his own and I think realised himself he needed help.

I think I'm right in saying he had 2 or 3 scouts at his disposal - compare that to now!

He was out of his depth yes, but not helped at all by the infrastructure around him. It was a recipe for disaster.

These hysterical anti-McInnes posts show a complete failure to take account of the context of where the club was 3-4 years ago.

So, yes actually, there is quite a compelling case for the defence of McInnes in some respects.

What can't be defended is his constant tinkering with the team and he turned down the opportunity to sign Flint - tho maybe we'll have to wait until next season to see if that was a good call or not, tho I know what my money's on!

A different perspective and a well balanced assessment Kid. 

Worth replying to bump this thread so others can digest your post and perhaps have a little think.

You are of course right in the points that you make here, although it just goes to show that someone can be ideally suited at one club but not at others.

In managers more than any other role within a football club, having the right man at the right time is key, yet hard to achieve.

All this is true however can you imagine someone like Mourinho , SAF , Darrell Clarke failing ?

He also bought in a lot of his back room staff so not so alone .

He'd have probably been a better appointment when we were originally relegated, we were on a downward trajectory and needed the relegation to get ourselves in order.

I really wanted him to succeed but feel the timing was wrong. He's probably a better manager for it now! I look out for how he's doing as I felt he was a decent bloke.

Since others were ask to have a little think I thought I would repost my view. (and that of quite a few others on Mr McInnes)...Something I have never done before or will probably never do again

KITR I will have responded in line to your comments. I don't normally do that as it sometimes comes off a bit snarky but I do have a different perspective to yours and its not meant to be taken any other way than a different perspective

Not a dig at you personally, but never understood this view; he helped lay the foundations for our relegation from the Championship, yet people have seem to have bought into his post-exit excuse of "I had no money, guys" - think he just didn't have the chops, nor the eye for a player to make it at that level, so failed outright; no excuses.

Happy to change my mind if he ever gets a Championship or higher job and does well, but taking lets not forget he's just moved down a division in a weak league system comparative to England, so not sure he's done enough yet to have me convinced he'd be better than many others for us were SC to leave tomorrow.

Wrong man, wrong time, would still be wrong now.  

Agreed

SL may have been impressed with McInnes initially (he hired him), however after having fired a lot of staff bringing in old pro's at great expense to coach a team on his dime into almost abject failure, do you not feel he may have wondered a bit.

Jody Morris what was that all about and the brilliance of some of his other signings, which player did he actually bring in that was any good?....It was all eventually seen to be nuts.

This all lead to his eventual firing the 5 pillars and a complete change in the clubs attitude to everything....This is all pretty much historical fact!

McInnes was the wrong man at the wrong time....St Johnston to the championship was to big a stretch and this is why again our managers since then have been more experienced and our signings by and large excellent with the possible exception of Adam El Abd and to a less extent Jordan Wynter....The only thing I can thank McInness for is SL finally got pissed off with funding w ankers and woke the f uck up. Thanks DM

Build a club don't buy one. McInnes apologists will scream what about Fontaine, Elliot not doing it and what other dross hewas left with by GJ and Millen, that has some resinance but so does having Pitman Stead, Bolaise AA complemented by what he brought in!!!...Yeah genius.

The clubs attitude now is as a direct result of McInnes, thank god for a good team a good manager a good structure (and a new ground...).

Maybe McInnes will one day be seen as a great manager, but this will be at least partially for his failure at AG and what he learned not to cock up!

As for being Mr Popular he rarely recognized the fans when singing his name and our performances on the pitch were awful...

This guy's team cleared AG more times by half time than any other manager in our memory NTB. Popular men get results and nurture a team ethic....Please see SC/AD/GJ McInnes nurtured a culture of boring football played 451 at home and the players by and large got fed up with playing MCInnes wet dream and getting beat every week which they were almost inevitably were, because the ball never stuck up front, the ones who could actually play were left with no faith in him no confidence in his coaches and eventually their own ability....Pitman would have crawled back to Bournemouth, Bolaise could not get a kick and was prepared to walk to Palace, where decent coaching and an attacking style turned him into the hottest property in English football

As for Sources (Woodsy)...When you have been around the club as long as I have you know people despite where you live most of the time (NTB)! They are not sources like Deep Throat (Watergate) in a parking garage they are friends et al and they wont end up on here.

McInnes was a mistake of major proportions not a myth of misguided brilliance let down by senior pros

Hope this all helps!

You don't know me!...

The disgraceful underperforming was as much about the players and coaches he brought in as you trying to blame Fontaine and Elliot for this guy being clueless. We got beaten every week often by half time and you only have to read the last few posts talking about his crap signings to show everyone saw it except you and one or two notable others.... 

The fact he spent huge sums of money of the major shareholders money to coach this club and bring in players is lost on you...he was backed with money until it became ridiculous.

So rancid dressing room is to blame....He is the manager if there is problem that's his job. So he failed to do it there too.

1 We were awful

2 We lost by ridiculous scorelines

3 He spent stupid amounts of money firing people and bringing in people with no affinity with this club

4 He didn't have the determination or inclination to manage the dressing room "QUOTE"...You in there too were you? (I don't know you either)

5 We Played 1 up at home and got stuffed nearly every week

6 His signings were dreadful (who was any good)

MANAGEMENT is the art of getting things done through people....He got nothing done anywhere pretty much by your own admission...And couldn't run a dressing room according to you!....Wake up and move on NTB

The Guy's ability here was/is a myth in the heads of one or two

McInnes takes credit for keeping us up in his first season as we looked doomed under Millen.

Mr McInnes was hired to keep the club in the championship and carry the club forward. He was pretty much given carte blanche to make the team and staff changes that he considered needed and this was why he took the appointment when offered

The fact is though the club were on a slippery slope since the GJ days and then Coppell disaster. The club took their eye off the football side of the club and were instead tied up in the AV saga.

85% (at least I would suggest) of football managers take charge of a club after a dismissal, this is the lot of the football manager. Yes GJ was good but had ran his course, Coppell (knob) made poor signings then jumped ship and KM really does not posses IMO what it takes to be a number one, however Mr McInnes knew all this coming in. It was not as if he took the job not knowing what it was and as stated he took it on conditions as agreed. IMO the AV saga did take a lot of SL's time among others but as for the board taking their eye off the playing side, I simply don't go along with and even if they did it was the football managers job to keep that moving that is why he was employed on the conditions he was. If AV can be blamed for anything is that the board did not fire him early enough

The staffing changes were because of McInnes. Using those as some kind of excuse for his failure is a stretch to say the least. The board changes will happen. If the Chairman of British Airways steps down would that mean that managers of the daily operation get a pass?

How can you say that. He brought in all his own staff at great expense and had fired most of the staff that had kept the club moving forward and not seen us relegated in 14 years. IMO this stands no scrutiny. Yes he did realize eventually he needed help, but as he already brought in the ones who were letting him down he was now in almost impossible position made for himself 

I have no knowledge of the scouting situation he inherited. However he had the ability to change that himself he just needed to put something in place or have one of his trusted staff put it in place. If there was an issue during his tenure then it was up to him to change it to his liking....If he did not then that really is on him, but as I say I have no real knowledge and memory of that situation

The club had difficulties as described and an ongoing legal battle over AV. There is no doubt of that. However McInnes had carte blanche to keep us up and as such takes responsibility for the league 2 play that was going on the pitch. The playing side was certainly league two and it was only SC who came in and saved us from that ultimate ignominy.  

Yes definitely out of his depth. The infrastructure of the playing side was his responsibility to change to his liking as it was GJ, SOD and SC who did.

Hysterical is your word....McInnes knew what he was getting into, his approach to changing the context failed

McInnes was out of his depth. Made poor choices and couldn't get his team to play football...The case for firing him was compelling!

Agreed!

I am and always have been consistent in my thoughts.

Since others were ask to have a little think I thought I would repost my view. (and that of quite a few others on Mr McInnes)...Something I have never done before or will probably never do again

KITR I will have responded in line to your comments. I don't normally do that as it sometimes comes off a bit snarky but I do have a different perspective to yours and its not meant to be taken any other way than a different perspective

Agreed

I am and always have been consistent in my thoughts.

Agree with all your responses redoxo. Well said.

Not quite sure how having a differing opinion is "hysterical" regarding McWinless though....

RedOxo - source on the people that thought DMc was a git?? That surprises me, albeit from the little I saw of him

As others have said, quite why you'd leave a comfortable position, at a big club for the cluster**** that is Rangers is beyond me. They will get back up soon enough, I'd wait until that was sorted and Mike Ashley was nowhere near the place. Doesn't seem like a winning combination to me

If anyone at Ashton Gate is found to have called him a git, they should be banned for life. Disgusting language

Archived