IGNORED

Does Any Body Know If Titch The Big Dark Skinned Lad Who Follows City Has Passed Away ?

alcapone

It's not the way I would word it. But out of curiosity why would calling someone dark skinned cause offence? I'm light skinned and not offended by being called it.

People have got to feel offended for other people these days.

Calling someone dark is no different to calling them black which is acceptable these days. Just don't call them coloured......

I don't know about Titch the big dark skinned lad but do know of Golliath the small, thin fair skinned lad who followed City and died in 1978. But nobody noticed until about 1997, so small and thin was he.[/quote

Was he any relation to Tiny Tim who used the lead the community singing of "Tip Toe through the Tote End"?

So, what is PC nowadays, was having the discussion with some mates not so long back

Black? Which is about as wrong as calling me white

Coloured?

Dark skinned?

African?

Caribbean?

Serious question, not being flippant here. If you were to describe Mark Little, for example, to someone who didn't know him, what term would you use / find most appropriate / less insulting to describe the colour of his skin

As Sodbury says, I wouldn't take offence to being described as 'light skinned', yet some describing someone as 'dark skinned' has people angry on someone else's behalf....

Serious question, not being flippant here. If you were to describe Mark Little, for example, to someone who didn't know him, what term would you use / find most appropriate / less insulting to describe the colour of his skin

Mark Little is black.

If someone who didn't know me well was ask after me, they'd say, the bloke with the long white hair and beard, the specs, the hedgehog and the sun tan. I hope that, if I was dark-skinned, they would say so, too. It might help to identify me.

Mark Little is black.

I can't think of the last time I described anyone as 'black', what makes that less a better term than 'dark skinned' in your eyes?

Not trying to start an argument here, just intrigued after having the chat with some mates

I can't think of the last time I described anyone as 'black', what makes that less a better term than 'dark skinned' in your eyes?

Not trying to start an argument here, just intrigued after having the chat with some mates

Because when you have ethnicity boxes to tick on a form, the box says black?  Same as I would say I am white?

Also those I work with class themselves as black British for example. I've just asked. :)

(i'm not trying to start an argument either by the way, just I would consider "dark skinned" as outdated)

So, what is PC nowadays, was having the discussion with some mates not so long back

Black? Which is about as wrong as calling me white

Coloured?

Dark skinned?

African?

Caribbean?

As Sodbury says, I wouldn't take offence to being described as 'light skinned', yet some describing someone as 'dark skinned' has people angry on someone else's behalf....

The human race is made up entirely of people of a different shade of brown....

I'm light brown (bizarrely termed "white"), Mark Little is dark brown (just as bizarrely termed "black"), my old workmate Anna Wong was a kind of pale yellowy brown, but had no title attributed to her such as Mark & I, but the bottom line is that we are all brown of varying degrees (yes, even Essex birds - they're just wearing orange paint!).

So if looked at objectively and without any discrimination intended, if the chap that the OP was referring to was "black", then "dark skinned" is actually and realistically the most accurate description for him in that respect, but in today's world it is for some reason classed as offensive....  Whoever decided on the categories for ethnicity has a lot to answer for, as we've been conditioned to think of ourselves as black and white, when in actual fact, we're just simply human...(except those strange six fingered sister lovers in whorefield - I've no idea what they are!!!)

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world!

Because when you have ethnicity boxes to tick on a form, the box says black?  Same as I would say I am white?

Also those I work with class themselves as black British for example. I've just asked. :)

(i'm not trying to start an argument either by the way, just I would consider "dark skinned" as outdated)

I think you're working on the assumption that the man in question is black and the OP is trying to be difficult/PC or whatever.  I think you've been too quick to criticise here.  There's nothing to say he doesn't mean white, with a dark complexion.  

Archived